Ghost players removal at the end of the season

Out of the Park Baseball League

Moderators: TheGobOne, Cnasty, Ry, nick

TheGobOne
Reactions:

Ghost players removal at the end of the season

Post by TheGobOne »

Effective end of 2089 season.

Almost everyone's minors are full at this point and they don't really serve a purpose. With the minor league age limit failing last season I see no reason for a team to not field a proper minor league themselves with all the free floating talent in the league - especially considering we only have 5 minor league teams.
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Re: Ghost players removal at the end of the season

Post by Cnasty »

Only concern I have is that this forces dudes rhat aren’t ready for other levels to play out of league.

I then can’t add free agent minor leaguers because I’m over the limit.

I do think reducing the draft rounds will help but may halt some growth as we will be forced to put guys in leagues they are not ready for. I utilize the minor league report almost every sim and this is always a prevalent problem.

I don’t mind it at all, just some talking points I see being an issue.

Also, does a team just play with what they have or how does the game happen?
plasma1896
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by plasma1896 »

so if you have a stud starting pitcher in single a, and say 2 other starters, the stud pitcher going to pitch every 3 days and never make it to the next level because his arm is tired or hurt? just curious on that part of it. every pitcher will be yellow (tired) if you dont have enough pitchers. i understand its our part to fill a team down there, but having tp sign scrubs to fill out a pitching staff just puts more garbage out there when scrolling thru teams to look for a trade.

im down with whatever you do gobone, you are doing a great job as commish and the way things are going , this might be the only baseball we have in 2022
Graywolf357
Reactions:

Post by Graywolf357 »

Yup Ryan that's for the heads up. Do what you feel. Done a hell of a job so far.
qazhby
Reactions:

Post by qazhby »

Cnasty wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:25 am Only concern I have is that this forces dudes rhat aren’t ready for other levels to play out of league.

I then can’t add free agent minor leaguers because I’m over the limit.
I think if we do this we need to raise minors limits- we will need to sign a decent number of guys that are probably going to be AAA pitchers and throw them into the minors
TheGobOne
Reactions:

Post by TheGobOne »

There are 444 players in free agency right now under 25 and NOT 20 potential (by my scout). That is more than enough to fill the gaps in the 5-7 or so teams we have not full right now. I am confident you guys will be able to fill up your minors. Yes some of them might be fodder but that's part of the game. Also, sometimes that fodder blows up and you get yourself a big league player.

- We have no minor league age limits. No player ever needs to play out of their level because there is nothing forcing them to.

- If you guys feel the # of players per level is too low we can definitely adjust that too but in my experience players need to play to develop. It's why I run 25 man minor league teams (except for R).

- You can always see a team's minor leagues sorted by potential under the Players --> Minor Leagues tab.
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

I like ghost players and hate filling 5 minor league teams.

That being said, just yesterday I filtered all players 27 and under with at least 43 potential and offered them all minor league contracts. I quickly filled up my minors.

Now if we did pass a rule about age limits, I'd just pay the fine every year because there's no way I'm following my minors that closely... ever lol.
TheGobOne
Reactions:

Post by TheGobOne »

I like 5 minor leagues it's fun to manage but I'm in other leagues where there are 8 and I just lock my important players to their level and ask the AI to adjust the minors every few sims. Seems to work good too.
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

TheGobOne wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:55 pm I just lock my important players to their level and ask the AI to adjust the minors every few sims. Seems to work good too.
Shit, similar to Niddler and myself talking about the weird things Assistant GMs used to do, add locking players to levels to that list.

I used to love the idea of that feature but a few versions ago, we learned that doing that would sometimes auto release players for some reason, so I've been to scared to continue doing that. Guess it works now?

I'd love to be in charge of my top few(emphasis on "few") prospects and then let the AI set the rest.
TheGobOne
Reactions:

Post by TheGobOne »

Ya I've been doing that forever. I don't have my AGM control anything minor related though but I know it works with promotions etc unless your rosters are super whacked.
DRiccio21
Reactions:

Post by DRiccio21 »

is there a way to turn on a setting that lets a veteran reject an assignment to lower level minor leagues?

i'm not a big fan of this decision as i think its just going to open other issues like teams filling their r, sa teams with 30 year olds which could dominate and hurt the growth of others teams minor leaguers. i'm pretty sure this was an issue we had before

i'd be much more comfortable with this if we had the age limits on.
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

I know it's probably a "mute" point since it was voted down last season, but if we voted on age limits, is that something that can be built actually in game, so then if we ask the AI to setup our complete minors, they would do so within the age limits?

If so, I'd be ok bringing that back to a vote. I always assumed it's just something you'd have to manually keep track of, which I ain't doing lol.
qazhby
Reactions:

Post by qazhby »

shel311 wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:19 pm I know it's probably a "mute" point since it was voted down last season, but if we voted on age limits, is that something that can be built actually in game, so then if we ask the AI to setup our complete minors, they would do so within the age limits?

If so, I'd be ok bringing that back to a vote. I always assumed it's just something you'd have to manually keep track of, which I ain't doing lol.
I'm pretty sure we can
qazhby
Reactions:

Post by qazhby »

TheGobOne wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:22 pm
- If you guys feel the # of players per level is too low we can definitely adjust that too but in my experience players need to play to develop. It's why I run 25 man minor league teams (except for R).
Its not that I think it is too lower per say in an ideal situation- but say you lose 2-3 pitchers in a sim for a team- now you have to either move someone up or wait possible 1 to 2 sims to sign a guy. Now your pitching staff has been at 10 guys for 3 weeks causing them to have to throw 150 pitches a game
DRiccio21
Reactions:

Post by DRiccio21 »

thats a fair point too. injuries in minor leagues without the ghosts on is going to cause some issues.
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

DRiccio21 wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:33 pm thats a fair point too. injuries in minor leagues without the ghosts on is going to cause some issues.
Agreed

I do the auto AI adjust minors every couple of sims, but admittedly, I'm not going out and signing guys if I have a run on SPs getting hurt in Minors.

So I'd agree with adding a few additional roster spots would be helpful just for that reason.
TheGobOne
Reactions:

Post by TheGobOne »

DRiccio21 wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:14 pm is there a way to turn on a setting that lets a veteran reject an assignment to lower level minor leagues?

i'm not a big fan of this decision as i think its just going to open other issues like teams filling their r, sa teams with 30 year olds which could dominate and hurt the growth of others teams minor leaguers. i'm pretty sure this was an issue we had before

i'd be much more comfortable with this if we had the age limits on.
Yes there is a setting called "Disable right to refuse minor league assignment" which we can turn on
TheGobOne
Reactions:

Post by TheGobOne »

Injuries are so low you might see 4-5 minor league injuries all year especially if you have a good trainer.
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

TheGobOne wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:13 am Injuries are so low you might see 4-5 minor league injuries all year especially if you have a good trainer.
Soooooo dumb
DRiccio21
Reactions:

Post by DRiccio21 »

TheGobOne wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:12 am Yes there is a setting called "Disable right to refuse minor league assignment" which we can turn on
Just to clarify this would allow players to refuse demotion?

The way that’s worded sounds like it would override players refusing demotions.

My concern is 26+ year olds playing at low levels in minors which I think would have negative unintentional consequences

Return to “Old OOTP Baseball”