Remove the Player Potential Rating

Post Winter Meeting topics here

Moderators: Cnasty, Ry, nick, ReignOnU, Bernie32

Should we remove the player potential rating?

Yes
28%
No
72%

Total votes: 18

Neurotic
Reactions:

Remove the Player Potential Rating

Post by Neurotic »

Just for clarification, I'm referring to the rating that is underlined in red in the screenshot below:

For me the rating carries no weight and is essentially pointless. It has no bearing on how good a player is. It often times leads to players making irrational and illadvisable decisions. Most importantly it is used as a crutch by some players to determine value (when again, it has no bearing and is not a true or accurate representation of player value).

The only true determination of value of a player is statistics and performance. I think its a proven fact that not all players are the same even when their ratings are the same. Ratings in general are a good guide, but they're not the end all. In my opinion, the potential rating is unnecessary.
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Re: Remove the Player Potential Rating

Post by shel311 »

I don't think you can remove that without moving the overall also?
Roggie
Reactions:

Post by Roggie »

shel311 wrote:I don't think you can remove that without moving the overall also?
You can. They're separate settings.
Neurotic
Reactions:

Post by Neurotic »

Roggie beat me to it, but he is correct.
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

Neurotic wrote:Roggie beat me to it, but he is correct.
Still not going to pass. The NDL has been obsessed with overall since at least 2021 when I joined
ImageImageImage
Neurotic
Reactions:

Post by Neurotic »

GeorgesGoons wrote:
Still not going to pass. The NDL has been obsessed with overall since at least 2021 when I joined
I would love to hear some reasoning behind it? I genuinely dont understand.
Roggie
Reactions:

Post by Roggie »

GeorgesGoons wrote:
I've noticed this in trade talks and it's turned me off from trying to trade pretty heavily. That and the scouting variation makes it like pulling teeth.
Uuaww
Reactions:

Post by Uuaww »

if you don't like it, can't you just ignore it? Everyone values different things in players. Removing one thing just makes us all more alike.

I don't know how it would turn you off on trading? Most guys who don't trade either want too much or are only trading old guys who are mediocre or on terrible contracts. Nobody is going to give you anything of value for a 40 rated player who's 30. People say that stats are all that matters? bullshit. A ton of players destroy the minors on teams and I know the owner NEVER even gets a call when they put him on the block. If they are so good then guys should be jumping on them.
Neurotic
Reactions:

Post by Neurotic »

Removing the player potential will never make us all alike when scouting is on. It just prohibits people from using it as a crutch. You say everyone values different things and I agree, but potential overall shouldnt be something you "value". Its a representation of other values which isnt always the same from player to player.

Also, minor league stats dont carry as much weight, atleast imo. The minor leagues arent managed properly throughout the league as a whole which in turns skews statistics in the minors. This is why its essential to have ratings in general turned on.
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

Neurotic wrote:Removing the player potential will never make us all alike when scouting is on. It just prohibits people from using it as a crutch. You say everyone values different things and I agree, but potential overall shouldnt be something you "value". Its a representation of other values which isnt always the same from player to player.

Also, minor league stats dont carry as much weight, atleast imo. The minor leagues arent managed properly throughout the league as a whole which in turns skews statistics in the minors. This is why its essential to have ratings in general turned on.

But who are you to tell someone what they should value or not?
ImageImageImage
Uuaww
Reactions:

Post by Uuaww »

I see you have an 80 potential guy and I want him, I don't really care about his other ratings/info. How does that make it harder to trade? Seattle and me had that exact situation. He had an 80 SP, I wanted him and he potentially got a great trade out of it (Gutierrez). Scout variation is also a good thing bc if we all see the same thing, it is harder to trade. I had some guys who said I got destroyed in that trade and others who say it was ok. If EVERYONE sees him as an 80 SP or a 20 SP, it never happens.
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

Neurotic wrote:but potential overall shouldnt be something you "value".
Then you should want it to remain so you can have your perceived competitive advantage over those who value it more than you think they should. :)
Neurotic
Reactions:

Post by Neurotic »

GeorgesGoons wrote:
Neurotic wrote:Removing the player potential will never make us all alike when scouting is on. It just prohibits people from using it as a crutch. You say everyone values different things and I agree, but potential overall shouldnt be something you "value". Its a representation of other values which isnt always the same from player to player.

But who are you to tell someone what they should value or not?

How can you value something that means nothing? I genuinely dont get it. A 60 potential player isnt the same from player to player. The ratings that comprise that 60 potential is what you should value, not the arbitrary number the game decides to place on the player.

By that logic a player with a 60 potential should always be better than a player with 50 potential. Thats just not true.
Roggie
Reactions:

Post by Roggie »

Uuaww wrote:if you don't like it, can't you just ignore it? Everyone values different things in players. Removing one thing just makes us all more alike.

I don't know how it would turn you off on trading? Most guys who don't trade either want too much or are only trading old guys who are mediocre or on terrible contracts. Nobody is going to give you anything of value for a 40 rated player who's 30. People say that stats are all that matters? bullshit. A ton of players destroy the minors on teams and I know the owner NEVER even gets a call when they put him on the block. If they are so good then guys should be jumping on them.
How does it turn me off from trading? Because people literally say "I won't trade this guy because he's 70 potential." But then another player can be a 55 potential and they'll automatically have less value to many people even though the guy is just as good as, if not better, of a prospect. It makes trading stupid. A different league I was in turned off potential (and overall, but that's a different discussion) and trading instantly improved because people didn't stare at that number and overrate/underrate based off of it instead of actually caring about the player.

Not sure why you pulled out some ridiculous thing about a 40 rated guy who is 30, because 1: this is about potential rating, not overall, and 2: odds are, that guy sucks if he's only 40 overall at that age.

Minor league stats are also very hard to judge off of because some people actually manage their minors properly while others have players way too developed in A or AA just destroying competition and killing numbers for others. This isn't real life where teams actually care about minors and properly level everyone off.
Uuaww
Reactions:

Post by Uuaww »

Yes, but then you should be going after the guys who have lower potential but are performing more and giving up your higher potential guys. You need to use it against others in trades
Uuaww
Reactions:

Post by Uuaww »

shel311 wrote:
Then you should want it to remain so you can have your perceived competitive advantage over those who value it more than you think they should. :)
Exactly. I think work ethic and all that shit are completely fucking useless and I believe carry zero weight (ask Webby). But I would fight for it to stay if we ever got rid of it. It gives me a perceived advantage over guys who value it.
Neurotic
Reactions:

Post by Neurotic »

Uuaww wrote:I see you have an 80 potential guy and I want him, I don't really care about his other ratings/info. How does that make it harder to trade? Seattle and me had that exact situation. He had an 80 SP, I wanted him and he potentially got a great trade out of it (Gutierrez). Scout variation is also a good thing bc if we all see the same thing, it is harder to trade. I had some guys who said I got destroyed in that trade and others who say it was ok. If EVERYONE sees him as an 80 SP or a 20 SP, it never happens.
Nobody is arguing against scouts. You said that if we take away ONE value that we all see the same thing. Thats categorically untrue, especially with scouting. As far as your scenario, nobody should ever want a player because his potential rating.
Uuaww wrote:Yes, but then you should be going after the guys who have lower potential but are performing more and giving up your higher potential guys. You need to use it against others in trades
Being able to take advantage of people in trades isnt a good reason for keeping it around. In fact, its a key factor in why it should go away.
Last edited by Neurotic on Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
DRWebs
Reactions:

Post by DRWebs »

shel311 wrote:
Hallelujah
Neurotic
Reactions:

Post by Neurotic »

Uuaww wrote:
shel311 wrote:
Exactly. I think work ethic and all that shit are completely fucking useless and I believe carry zero weight (ask Webby). But I would fight for it to stay if we ever got rid of it. It gives me a perceived advantage over guys who value it.
We're not talking about player personalities. We're talking about a value that literally has ZERO affect on how a player performs.
Neurotic
Reactions:

Post by Neurotic »

shel311 wrote:

As I said to Ted, being able to take advantage of people in trades isnt a good reason for keeping it around. In fact, its a key factor in why it should go away.

Return to “Winter Meetings”