Remove the Player Potential Rating

Post Winter Meeting topics here

Moderators: Cnasty, Ry, nick, ReignOnU, Bernie32

Should we remove the player potential rating?

Yes
28%
No
72%

Total votes: 18

shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Re: Remove the Player Potential Rating

Post by shel311 »

I like it, if for nothing else, as a starting point for sorting.

I can't imagine trying to go through the Draft Pool without that potential as a starting point. That would add a heck of a lot of time to the process of filtering and going through players to create draft lists.
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

Neurotic wrote:
shel311 wrote:
Neurotic wrote:but potential overall shouldnt be something you "value".
Then you should want it to remain so you can have your perceived competitive advantage over those who value it more than you think they should. :)

As I said to Ted, being able to take advantage of people in trades isnt a good reason for keeping it around. In fact, its a key factor in why it should go away.
But can' I say the same for all ratings?

Some guys will value contact too much, some too little based on my perception. Same with stuff, control...whatever. I don't really see the difference.
Uuaww
Reactions:

Post by Uuaww »

if you have a 70 pot prospect and I have a 55 one who you like better, offer me the trade. If you win the trade 5 years down the line, no one will chastise you ripping me off.
DRWebs
Reactions:

Post by DRWebs »

shel311 wrote:
Neurotic wrote:
shel311 wrote:
Then you should want it to remain so you can have your perceived competitive advantage over those who value it more than you think they should. :)

As I said to Ted, being able to take advantage of people in trades isnt a good reason for keeping it around. In fact, its a key factor in why it should go away.

Some guys will value contact too much, some too little based on my perception. Same with stuff, control...whatever. I don't really see the difference.
In addition to that, both people are getting what they want... The one person gets that mystical 80 POT player while the other owner gets someone who they know is probably more likely to succeed
Neurotic
Reactions:

Post by Neurotic »

Do you draft a player because he a general potential rating of 70 or because of the potential of his actual ratings? I understand using it to sort, but thats easy to get used to once its gone.

And no, I cant say that about all ratings. This is a rating that literally has nothing to do with a players actual value. It has no affect on the player. Its an arbitrary number the game assigns to a player.
Neurotic
Reactions:

Post by Neurotic »

DRWebs wrote:
shel311 wrote:
Neurotic wrote:
shel311 wrote:

In addition to that, both people are getting what they want... The one person gets that mystical 80 POT player while the other owner gets someone who they know is probably more likely to succeed

So what you're saying is that your ok with people taking advantage of other people who dont know any better?
Uuaww
Reactions:

Post by Uuaww »

Neurotic wrote:Do you draft a player because he a general potential rating of 70 or because of the potential of his actual ratings? I understand using it to sort, but thats easy to get used to once its gone.

And no, I cant say that about all ratings. This is a rating that literally has nothing to do with a players actual value. It has no affect on the player. Its an arbitrary number the game assigns to a player.
and its a number used by a large portion of our owners. If you want to completely ignore it, then you can and you may do so already. But making others conform to your style just because you don't like that they use it seems wrong.
Neurotic
Reactions:

Post by Neurotic »

Uuaww wrote:if you have a 70 pot prospect and I have a 55 one who you like better, offer me the trade. If you win the trade 5 years down the line, no one will chastise you ripping me off.
I'm not really sure what point this proves? Would you agree that not every 70 potential player has the same value? Would you value a 70 potential RP the same as you value a 70 potential SP or CF?
Uuaww
Reactions:

Post by Uuaww »

Neurotic wrote:

So what you're saying is that your ok with people taking advantage of other people who dont know any better?
100% ok. we have a phrase for it in this league... NGR.
Neurotic
Reactions:

Post by Neurotic »

Uuaww wrote:
Neurotic wrote:Do you draft a player because he a general potential rating of 70 or because of the potential of his actual ratings? I understand using it to sort, but thats easy to get used to once its gone.

and its a number used by a large portion of our owners. If you want to completely ignore it, then you can and you may do so already. But making others conform to your style just because you don't like that they use it seems wrong.
Keeping it around so you can take advantage of people who value it seems wrong as well.
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

shel311 wrote:I like it, if for nothing else, as a starting point for sorting.

I can't imagine trying to go through the Draft Pool without that potential as a starting point. That would add a heck of a lot of time to the process of filtering and going through players to create draft lists.
I'd quit the league if I had to do this manually.

I use potentials for a starting point and after the first 3 or 4 rounds I go off potential ratings of a particular rating to target.
ImageImageImage
Neurotic
Reactions:

Post by Neurotic »

GeorgesGoons wrote:

I use potentials for a starting point and after the first 3 or 4 rounds I go off potential ratings of a particular rating to target.

You would quit the league if you had to look at attribute potentials in the draft?
Uuaww
Reactions:

Post by Uuaww »

Neurotic wrote:
Uuaww wrote:

Keeping it around so you can take advantage of people who value it seems wrong as well.
you want every trade to be fair? Why not just make a rule that every trade has to be ratified by the league, problem solved. :lol:
Neurotic
Reactions:

Post by Neurotic »

Uuaww wrote:
Neurotic wrote:
Uuaww wrote:

you want every trade to be fair? Why not just make a rule that every trade has to be ratified by the league, problem solved. :lol:

There will still be trades that others dont think are "fair" with the rating gone. That being said, keeping a rating that holds no actual value simply because you use it to win trades isn't a justifiable reason for keeping it.
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

Uuaww wrote: Why not just make a rule that every trade has to be ratified by the league, problem solved. :lol:
Some trades need this trade committee Nick has always pushed for. :)
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

Neurotic wrote:
GeorgesGoons wrote:

You would quit the league if you had to look at attribute potentials in the draft?
I'd quit if I didn't have a good starting point to draft. It's already a pain in the ass to go between the game and webpage to create my list. I'd rather just draft in game but this was voted against before.
ImageImageImage
Uuaww
Reactions:

Post by Uuaww »

No I want to keep it bc I use it to value all prospects in the league as my baseline. You want to get rid of it bc you don't like that I use it.
Neurotic
Reactions:

Post by Neurotic »

Uuaww wrote:No I want to keep it bc I use it to value all prospects in the league as my baseline. You want to get rid of it bc you don't like that I use it.
I want to get rid of it because its a rating that has no value, not because I "dont like that you use it". I think you've made it pretty clear in this thread how you "use it".

The argument of "I use it to sort players" isnt a strong enough reason to keep it imo. What attribute do you value most in a player? Contact? Power? Stuff? Movement? Start sorting by those first instead and moving on from there.
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

Neurotic wrote:So what you're saying is that your ok with people taking advantage of other people who dont know any better?
I don't think this is really correct either. First, why do you assume people don't know any better? Generally, if someone says they don't want to trade player A because he's 75 overall, that IMO assumes they also like his skill ratings, using the 75 number is an easy way

Because, while for any given player, yes just because his overall/potential rating is higher, that does not mean he is better than a given player with a lower overall/potential.

But a team of 25 players rated 80 is going to always be better than a team with 25 players rated 70. And the team of 70s will be better than the 25 players rated 60. So it's not like there's no value at all to it.
DRWebs
Reactions:

Post by DRWebs »

Imagine your only contribution to the boards is to argue that something you claim is arbitrary and has no value must be gotten rid of

Return to “Winter Meetings”