Random Discussions

Come one, come all. Talk about anything not league or video game football related here.
The_Niddler
Reactions:

Re: Random Discussions

Post by The_Niddler »

Cnasty wrote:Any of you tech/internet guys know what is the minimum speed needed to:
Stream from Kodi/AppleTV
Run an iPad
Multiple phones on the same network

Without it buffering the TV?

I am going back to the cord cutting with my Nvidia and Kodi but the 18mbps now is relatively slow for all that and I see some stoppage.

I was offered 75mbps for $65 a month and that seems plenty fast enough but not sure. Also the Nvidia will always be wireless due to location of ATT ports as I don't have one downstairs where the TV is as it is upstairs in my media room so should I get any add ons to extend for maximum speed?

That is more than plenty fast enough.
I have 25 Mbps at home and have no issues. 2 phones and a ps4 or tv that can all be streaming something (Netflix, Youtube, etc.)

6-12 Mbps is the minimums I would recommend, depending on the devices and activities on those devices.
When you say multiple phones, you will be fine on say 25 Mbps, but then if 3 phones and 2 TV's are streaming netflix and a PS4 is playing online, then you may run into some issues.

.5 Mbps is the required for Netflix and 1.5 Mbps is the recommended.
So that is per device.

More info here:
https://support.speedtest.net/hc/en-us/ ... games-etc-
PSN: The_Niddler
TWITCH: The_Niddler
cougnix
Reactions:

Post by cougnix »

http://eattomorrow.com/blog/2015/09/tes ... -off-grid/
CEO of Tesla Motors, Elon Musk, landed an official message unveiling the Powerwall, a battery designed to power your home. The message came at a convention center powered completely by renewable battery power.

The battery unit itself contains the same batteries present in the Tesla electric cars. The 7kWh unit will ship for $3,000, while the 10kWh unit will go for $3,500 (get the big one). They will store electricity from the grid or from solar and wind generators on site and if the grid goes down, they will continue to power your home indefinitely This feature makes them ideal for developing nations that are leap-frogging power grids completely.

Musk refers to it as changing the “entire energy infrastructure of the world.”
Old article from September, but interesting.
ImageImage

PSN: Cougnix
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Post by ReignOnU »

You should read follow up articles about farming solar power with the batteries, then selling the energy back to private companies.
PSN: ReignOnU
cougnix
Reactions:

Post by cougnix »

ReignOnU wrote:You should read follow up articles about farming solar power with the batteries, then selling the energy back to private companies.
They already do this with solar power in Arizona. The power company suckered my Great Grandparents when they put panels on their house. Were supposed to get refund checks, but they signed one document that essentially took that part away. They got the discounts, but not the refunds.
ImageImage

PSN: Cougnix
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

The_Niddler wrote:
Cnasty wrote:Any of you tech/internet guys know what is the minimum speed needed to:
Stream from Kodi/AppleTV
Run an iPad
Multiple phones on the same network

Without it buffering the TV?

I am going back to the cord cutting with my Nvidia and Kodi but the 18mbps now is relatively slow for all that and I see some stoppage.

I was offered 75mbps for $65 a month and that seems plenty fast enough but not sure. Also the Nvidia will always be wireless due to location of ATT ports as I don't have one downstairs where the TV is as it is upstairs in my media room so should I get any add ons to extend for maximum speed?

That is more than plenty fast enough.
I have 25 Mbps at home and have no issues. 2 phones and a ps4 or tv that can all be streaming something (Netflix, Youtube, etc.)

6-12 Mbps is the minimums I would recommend, depending on the devices and activities on those devices.
When you say multiple phones, you will be fine on say 25 Mbps, but then if 3 phones and 2 TV's are streaming netflix and a PS4 is playing online, then you may run into some issues.

.5 Mbps is the required for Netflix and 1.5 Mbps is the recommended.
So that is per device.

More info here:
https://support.speedtest.net/hc/en-us/ ... games-etc-
I wonder why with the same set up then with my 18mbps currently I get a lot of buffering and latency in my online streaming or even perusing the net on our phones and iPads.

75mbps sounds like overkill but a great price for overkill!
Uuaww
Reactions:

Post by Uuaww »

Yeah 18 should be plenty. Sounds like you're getting throttled while streaming.
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

Uuaww wrote:Yeah 18 should be plenty. Sounds like you're getting throttled while streaming.
Or I'm truly not getting 18 as it is dsl and att versus cable internet?

not my strong suit so not sure.
Seeitsaveit13
Reactions:

Post by Seeitsaveit13 »

Cnasty wrote:
Uuaww wrote:Yeah 18 should be plenty. Sounds like you're getting throttled while streaming.
Or I'm truly not getting 18 as it is dsl and att versus cable internet?

not my strong suit so not sure.

Try a speed test. See what you get. If it's real bad compared to what you're offered then you might have a case against them
ImageImageImageImage
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Post by ReignOnU »

Could also be packet loss... speedtest.net should be able to determine it.
PSN: ReignOnU
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

For others that had no clue what that meant :)
Packet loss is the discarding of packets in a network when a router or other network device is overloaded and cannot accept additional packets at a given moment. Packets are the fundamental unit of information transport in all modern computer networks, and increasingly in other communications networks as well.
jeffdaddy
Reactions:

Post by jeffdaddy »

ahh, this explains everything...
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

:shock:
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

My internet speed discussion bring all the boys to the yard and they are like, its better than yours...
jeffdaddy
Reactions:

Post by jeffdaddy »

that had me chuckling out loud Nasty!!
nick
Reactions:

Post by nick »

damn i was an artist
jeffdaddy
Reactions:

Post by jeffdaddy »

nick wrote:damn i was an artist
Fucking picasso baby!
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

Seeitsaveit13 wrote:Try a speed test. See what you get. If it's real bad compared to what you're offered then you might have a case against them

Yea, looking forward to the new upgrade.
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

More cord cutting discussion. ESPN is in a world of hurt.
ESPN Ignored Cord Cutting Threat, Paid For It With Huge Viewership Losses
from the denial-is-unproductive dept
Historically, the cable and broadcast industry has made a full-time sport out of trying to ignore the changing TV landscape and the threat posed by internet video. There's a fairly significant number of cable and broadcast execs who still believe that internet video, cord cutting, cord trimmers (users who cut back on cable packages) and recent ratings declines are some kind of mass delusion akin to the yeti or the mysterious chupacabra. Others think this recent commotion is just a fad we're going through that will magically resolve once millennials start procreating.

One of the biggest culprits for rising TV prices is sports programming, which is driving more and more users to either internet video, or so-called "skinny bundles" provided by TV operators. Companies like Verizon have gone so far as to boot ESPN from the core cable lineup (and have been sued for it by ESPN). Like so many broadcasters, ESPN apparently hoped things would stay the same forever, but recent subscriber data suggests that's very much not the case. Analysts, in fact, point out that new data indicates ESPN has lost around 7 million subscribers in just two years:

"ESPN topped out with 99 million US subscribers (“subs”) 2 years ago, according to their filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. Since then, its sub count has been shrinking. It’s currently at around 92 million. That drop in subs has meant a big drop in profitability for ESPN which has been at the heart of its parent company’s profitability."

And, at least according to former ESPN insiders like Bill Simmons, neither ESPN nor Disney saw the hit coming (it's apparently hard to see with your head buried squarely in the sand):
"Did ESPN or Disney see the cord-cutting decline coming? It doesn’t look that way, despite predictions from a number of market watchers that it was a sizable risk. The sports network reportedly spent $125 million or so on a revamp of the Sports Center set, which seems like an odd investment if you think your viewership is going to fall. Former Grantland editor Bill Simmons also said on a recent podcast that he never heard ESPN executives talking about their concerns about cord cutting until last year."

ESPN now finds itself at a notably tricky crossroads. It could remain comfortably in denial, or it could embrace the modern era and start building its own, more flexible sports streaming video empire. The problem? ESPN's contracts with cable operators dictate that if it launches a standalone streaming service, cable operators will be allowed to boot ESPN from their core cable lineups. That will of course accelerate ESPN's losses, but it would also accelerate ESPN's adaptation to a market evolution the company has refused to take seriously.
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

Here honey, learn this fun song on the drums.-dad

5. Yes she is 5.

Uuaww
Reactions:

Post by Uuaww »

I would say I watch more NBC Sports than ESPN right now. They are no longer the only horse in town.

Return to “Off Topic Forum”