NDL Spotlight: UCLA

Get the latest news and NDL related articles by our talented group of writers.
Twistanutz22
Reactions:

NDL Spotlight: UCLA

Post by Twistanutz22 »

UCLA: The Grind
An interview with Coach UclaMac

Bruins Ground Attack

The Season 26 UCLA Bruins have been able to have their way with their competition, by way of the "ground and pound" style of offense they bring to the table. They currently lead the Pac-12 in Total Offense (386 yds), Points per Game (31), and Total Rushing Yards per Game (301 yds). Oh, and by the way... UCLA's 301 yards per game on the ground leads the entire country.. And it's not even close! #17 Boise St. is 2nd, with 236 yards rushing per game. A team with just 2 games played on the season.

The work-horse for this UCLA rushing attack is just that, a freakin horse! Jonathan Franklin, in just 3 games, has accounted for 64 carries, 663 yards and 5 rushing TD's. That's a 10.35 yard per rush average. Franklin is no stranger to the NDL, either. He has won the Walter Camp Award twice, in Season 22 and Season 25. Will he make it 3 years, with a back to back Walter Camp Award? At this rate, he's got my vote!
Jonathan Franklin scores vs. Colorado. Franklin had 266 yards rushing on the day

A Tough Pac-12 Schedule

The UCLA Bruins are currently 1-0 in Pac-12 play, and would love to remain unscathed throughout the remaining season, for a chance to play in the Pac-12 Championship Game. Let's take a look at the remaining games left on the schedule:

Wk. 5: @ #25 Oregon State (ndlkdog36)
Wk. 7: vs. Cal (aDeeDub87a)
Wk. 8: @ Utah (oldschoola)
Wk. 9: vs. FAU (MrChampagne3)
Wk. 10: vs. ASU (JustGiver31)
Wk. 11: @ Arizona (xLIQx)
Wk. 12: vs. WSU (Cougnix)
Wk. 13: @ USC (shel311)
Wk. 14: @ #19 Stanford (iRoccafella)

Coach UclaMac will have to find a way to control the ball with the run game, and slow the score-happy offenses of the Pac-12 South in order to get to the Pac-12 Title Game. In looking at the schedule, 5 of his remaining 9 games are on the road. And 4 of those are vs. tough opponents. Can Jonathan Franklin make another run at the Walter Camp Award, and carry the Bruins on his back to the Pac-12 Championship? Can UclaMac block out distractions of being on the road in hostile venues, with the Life-Sized target on his back.. created by the media hype machine, ESPN's "NDL Spotlight"? Or will shel311, xLIQx, or iRoccafella stand in his way, and send him packing his bags to a mediocre Bowl bid? I, for one, can't wait to find out!

I'll Have the Mac N Cheese, Please!

I sat down with Coach UclaMac, to bring you an inside look at how he feels about his early success in Season 26...

Q: You're averaging over 300 yards per game ON THE GROUND.. How do you plan to continue that success when you get into the heart of your Pac 12 Schedule?

A: No way in hell. Lol, I think there is no doubt I love to run the ball, but I also know there are some very good coaches in the Pac 12 this season and most of them already know shutting down the run against me is going to be their number one priority. I think the main thing that I will need to focus on is not getting too stubborn running the ball if someone gameplans to stop the run.

Q: When you look at your remaining schedule, who in your opinion, will give you the most problems? And Why?

A:Well shel taking the Trojans this year really got me worried. He has alot of history with NDL as one of the best coaches of all time, and I know it will be tough to beat him. But Roc over at Stanford is really tough because he pounded me last year on the ground and I had no answer, so I am guessing it will probably be the same result this season. Wash St also worries me because we have played each other alot over the seasons and I have beaten him everytime, but I know Cougs is gonna be ready and I fully expect him to get me one of these seasons.

Q: Describe your Round 2 victory over SEC Power, LSU and Coach Nick, and what it meant to you...

A:LSU is a great program, and Nick is a legend in the NDL. I wouldnt go as far to say I got a big win because we never fully got to finish the game because of a disconnect, but I think anytime you can beat a team with the presitge like LSU and Nick have you have to be greatfull. I think I also got lucky to play him in the cup and not in league because he told me he doesnt really try in the cup games, so I am sure it would have been a much closer game if it were a league game.

Q: You have a very interesting Week 14 matchup @ Stanford. Do you see that game as a possible back to back game in the Pac 12 Championship Game?

A:Well I think in the North Oregon and Stanford really have the inside track. However I think both Oregon and Stanford are having a down season this year so far and might be beatable. Honestly I dont know who I would want to play more between them two, I am mostly looking forward to trying to get back to the Rosebowl, and I dont even think thats possible with alot of big games left for me to play.

Q: Going 11-3 (8-2) in Season 25 is a great year. What was the deciding factor in making the change at the quarterback position from Prince to Hundley?

A:Honestly its no joke I am a diehard Bruins fan in real life. I really made the change because thats who the Bruins chose to play with this season. I think Hundley in the game is under-rated, and I hope next year EA shows him some love because I would love to see him have a good year. So to me I like trying to play with the actual guys that are starting in real life.

Q: What is something about you that most NDL members wouldn't know?

I think this is a great question first and foremost! But I do think I have a rep as far as my gameplay goes that maybe I will win at all costs, and maybe even stretch the boundaries of rules and what not. But I am a really competitive guy when it came to playing sports. (grew up playing basketball/football) And I think now that I am older it has translated to video games, and golfing. (real life) I also know that yes in the past I hate to lose and feel like I might have taken this game way too seriously (SGL days) But I guess what I would want guys to know most about me today is that I really dont care if I lose or win games, but I want to play by the rules and do care if people think I am cheesing them. I think mostly in life its good to be confident and be your own man, but also important to understand its not always about you and it is about how you fit in to the world. I think the NDL is a great family and league, and I want the guys to know in here that I respect everyone here and thank the powers that be that I can be a part of this awesome league! That being said I do like the nickname MacnCheese, but honestly hope that anyone that plays me gets a good game and doesnt walk away with hard feelings over the outcome.

Thanks again for reading, and look for the next edition of NDL Spotlight next week!
Reactions:

Re: NDL Spotlight: UCLA

Post by The_Niddler »

Again, nice job Twista.
PSN: The_Niddler
TWITCH: The_Niddler
fsupenguin
Reactions:

Post by fsupenguin »

Good read, enjoyed it.
Twistanutz22
Reactions:

Post by Twistanutz22 »

Thanks guys!
DRiccio21
Reactions:

Post by DRiccio21 »

a legend like nick
this is what the NDL has come to :lol:
beercop
Reactions:

Post by beercop »

DRiccio21 wrote:
a legend like nick
I think I threw up a little when I read that.
ImageImage
UclaMac
Reactions:

Post by UclaMac »

Hey in all fairness I did say what kind of legend he way lol
ChampDizzle
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by ChampDizzle »

beercop wrote:
DRiccio21 wrote:
a legend like nick
I stopped reading cause the author's credibility was gone ater that.
ajalves
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by ajalves »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
xLiQx
Reactions:

Post by xLiQx »

sgl plug! ha ha, you didn't even mention socom marcus. sad day.
Season 25 NCAA - New Mexico Lobos 5-7
Season 26 NCAA - Arizona Wildcats 11- 3 (Pac 12 Champions, Rose Bowl Champions)
Season 1 Madden - Seattle Seahawks 12-4 NFC Champoinship game (lost)
Season 27 NCAA - Texas Longhorns 9-4 (Alamo Bowl champs vs USC)
Twistanutz22
Reactions:

Post by Twistanutz22 »

ChampDizzle wrote:
beercop wrote:
DRiccio21 wrote:
a legend like nick

I never wrote that. So my credibility is still in tact! :lol:

That was part of the Q&A section, and came straight from UclaMac... For the record!
UclaMac
Reactions:

Post by UclaMac »

Twistanutz22 wrote:
ChampDizzle wrote:
beercop wrote:
DRiccio21 wrote:
a legend like nick

I never wrote that. So my credibility is still in tact! :lol:

That was part of the Q&A section, and came straight from UclaMac... For the record!
Damn bro, How ya gonna throw me under the bus like that? I would like to go on record, that Twista told me to call Nick a legend!
dealer4014
Reactions:

Post by dealer4014 »

Nice work, thanka for doing these!!
Twistanutz22
Reactions:

Post by Twistanutz22 »

UclaMac wrote:Damn bro, How ya gonna throw me under the bus like that? I would like to go on record, that Twista told me to call Nick a legend!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

You made a funny!!

Return to “NDL:ESPN”