NDL Spotlight: Nevada

Get the latest news and NDL related articles by our talented group of writers.
Twistanutz22
Reactions:

NDL Spotlight: Nevada

Post by Twistanutz22 »

Nevada: A Team on the Rise?
An interview with Coach dealer4014
A Great Start to Season 26

The Nevada Wolfpack, led by Coach dealer4014, are currently 3-0 (1-0) in the 26th season of the NDL, and are rapidly gaining attention around the country due to a couple of upset victories in the early weeks. The Wolfpack were able to take down Pac-12 South member, Arizona State 24-7 in week 1. Then in week 3, Nevada knocked off the defending National Champion Runner Up and then ranked #7, Oklahoma State Cowboys 27-20. Coach dealer also was able to record his first MWC win of the year in week 5, with a 27-7 victory over Hawaii. (Nevada is still scheduled to play it's week 2 game @ NC State)

In looking at the manner of which the Wolfpack beat these teams, one thing is consistent. Defense. Nevada has been stuffing the run, and causing turnovers. The Nevada defense, which leads the MWC in points allowed (11.3 ppg), is allowing just 266.5 yards per game in total offense... A number which should drop significantly when they get deeper into MWC play. They are also allowing only 172 yards passing, as well as creating 3.5 INT's per game. With those kind of numbers, the Wolfpack D is able to control the game, and the ball. A luxury any coach would welcome.. Especially when facing a Top 10 team like SuperJakeB's Cowboys. Look for the Nevada defense to continue it's salty ways, and keep the Wolfpack infront of the MWC Standings.

On the Offensive side of the ball, Nevada's QB Cody Fajardo is doing what it takes to keep his team in the Win column, going 30/47 for 666 yards passing on the year. He has just 5 TD's, and 4 INT's so far... but when their defense plays like they do, he doesn't need to be a World beater. The Nevada offense as a whole is producing 287 yards of total offense per game, 64 yards per game on the ground and 223 yards per game through the air. I expect the Wolfpack offensive unit to continue it's ball control style of play, and improve it's overall stats on the year when they play more MWC teams.

NDL Cup | Huge Round 3 Matchup with FSU

Nevada is also having success in the NDL this season, making their way to Round 3 by defeating Ole Miss 35-20 in Oxford, MS (a team that currently sits at #18 in the Polls). Next up for the Wolf Pack is the heavily favored Florida State Seminoles, but I have a feeling that Coach dealer won't come into this game with a scared dog in the fight. Why should he? He has already proven that he can overcome the talent gap, and come away with the victory against a better team. On the other hand, don't expect FSU to take Nevada lightly either. With the resume' the Wolfpack have put together this season, they won't be sneaking up on anyone else this year!

Q&A with Coach dealer4014

Q: With two quality wins over favored opponents, ASU and then #7 ranked Oklahoma St, how do you go about preparing for the remainder of your MWC games?
A: Last season with Nevada in games I got a little impatient in games and tried to force passes which ended up costing me. This season with my conference games coming up just trying to tell my self to be patient on offense and hope that my defense can make some big plays for us, like they have been.

Q:Who wins the MWC this year, In your opinion?
A: I really think that it will probably come down to Boise St (seeitsaveit), Colorado St(Block) and us, Nevada. Which will then put a lot of pressure on seeit's and my battle in Week 14. Block and I don't play in the regular season so it's possible that we could have co-conference champs.

Q: You face Florida State in Round 3 of the NDL Cup, does beating the returning BCS runner up SuperJakeB help you? Or hurt you?
A: I think it probably hurts me a little bit more than helping me. FSUPenguin is a really good coach and he had really nice success last year in the Cup with Tulsa, so it would probably have been to my advantage to maybe be under the radar a little bit more going into this game.

Q: You went 8-5 (4-4) last season with Nevada, do you have a different focus this year? Or are you using the same gameplan/personnel/ect...?
A: Last year we started forcing the ball in our passing game, throwing into areas that I should never have been throwing the ball. This year I'm TRYING to be a lot more patient and if we have to punt it's not a bad thing. Our defense has been playing really well and if they can make some plays that's just as good as the offense doing it.

Q: If there is one style of offense that you would least like to face in an important game, what is it? And why do you have trouble with it?
A: Hmmm, i don't know if I want to give these types of secret's out it's probaby the spread offense with the option running of the QB/HB. Never really have had much success trying to stop it

This is the first installment of a new ESPN Series that I'll be doing called the "NDL Spotlight". I would like to thank Coach dealer4014 for taking the time for this interview, and wish him and his Nevada Wolfpack team the best of luck for the remainder of the NDL Season! I'd also like to thank Untouchable for the opportunity to showcase a select number of coaches for the remainder of the NDL 26 season, as well as BFiVL for his permission to interview a member of his conference.

-Twist
Last edited by Twistanutz22 on Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wasted Memory
Reactions:

Re: NDL Spotlight: Nevada

Post by Wasted Memory »

Good article guy
dealer4014
Reactions:

Post by dealer4014 »

nice work man! hopefully this doesn't put like a madden jinx on me! :)
Weasel
Reactions:

Post by Weasel »

Bravo
DRiccio21
Reactions:

Post by DRiccio21 »

okay... okay!
bigred
Reactions:

Post by bigred »

Well done
Twistanutz22
Reactions:

Post by Twistanutz22 »

Appreciate the feedback, guys.. Who will be next to be in the "Spotlight"??? ;)
SuperJakeB
Reactions:

Post by SuperJakeB »

I do not approve of this article.
razorback44
Reactions:

Post by razorback44 »

Awesome article. Very good work Twist!
AIM: lazydayz446
PSN: lazydayz44

buckeye76
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by buckeye76 »

Great read Twista.
The_Niddler
Reactions:

Post by The_Niddler »

Job well done Twista.
Keep up the good work.
PSN: The_Niddler
TWITCH: The_Niddler
xLiQx
Reactions:

Post by xLiQx »

Nice read! One of my favorites!
Season 25 NCAA - New Mexico Lobos 5-7
Season 26 NCAA - Arizona Wildcats 11- 3 (Pac 12 Champions, Rose Bowl Champions)
Season 1 Madden - Seattle Seahawks 12-4 NFC Champoinship game (lost)
Season 27 NCAA - Texas Longhorns 9-4 (Alamo Bowl champs vs USC)
Twistanutz22
Reactions:

Post by Twistanutz22 »

SuperJakeB wrote:I do not approve of this article.
:lol:
I figured I'd hear somehthing from the Stillwater Pokes...

Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback. I'm going to try and do these once a week. I've got some good stuff in mind...
SuperJakeB
Reactions:

Post by SuperJakeB »

Just sour grapes is all.
beercop
Reactions:

Post by beercop »

Nice work!
ImageImage

Return to “NDL:ESPN”