Strategy question

All NDL or video game football related conversations go here.
Ank
Reactions:

Strategy question

Post by Ank »

My question is if you play a guy that throws the ball 50 times or someone that is getting 400 yards a game on 23 completions how often can/should you use your pass strategy?
Ive yet to use it since season 1 of last year's game...but if you know a guy is passing all game why not use this. If a coach isn't going to try in mix his pass/run ratio up and you know what is coming why not try to stop it best as possible?

I know it says in moderation strategy can be used...but if a guy throws 45 times a game..what is moderation? 10...but if you get 60 strategy points off of 4 picks (15 a piece) your sure to get dinged on your report.

I think using strategy will cut down on guys just setting back and throwing non-stop all game.

Just wondering what the league thought?
texasfan4444
Reactions:

Re: Strategy question

Post by texasfan4444 »

My thoughts....just play.

Dont worry about being dinged. it will all work out in the end. Make sure you reflect your opinion in your comments and maybe mention it after the game to them on aim or PRIVATE MESSAGE.

Above all else....dont sweat it and just have fun.
trendon
Reactions:

Post by trendon »

Allow me to say this again.

If I think you are passing, I use it. I don't care if I thought you were passing the last seven times and I used it the last seven times. If I anticipate pass, I use it. I use all of my strategies, too, aside from JUMP SNAP.

It is still my contention that this league - as backwards as this sounds - is MORE cheesy because of this "moderation."

Don't cheat and be honest. That's my motto and it has served me well in this league.
DRiccio21
Reactions:

Post by DRiccio21 »

i didnt even know we were allowed to use the strat things.

i thought we all just decided to leave them alone.
brett11253
Reactions:

Post by brett11253 »

DRiccio21 wrote:i didnt even know we were allowed to use the strat things.

ditto
AIM: brett11253
Ank
Reactions:

Post by Ank »

DRiccio21 wrote:i didnt even know we were allowed to use the strat things.

I thought this also. But Ive heard people saying they was using them or was going to start cause it is so easy to pass.

Thats another reason I asked...I didnt want to be the only person not using them.
trendon
Reactions:

Post by trendon »

I haven't read the rules in years.

Don't cheat. Don't be a dick. Don't win by 36. Everyone will be happy.
6ftdeep
Reactions:

Post by 6ftdeep »

The rule is moderation, but I don't use it. Play the run feature is banned, and guys are not allowed to use this feature against heavy run offenses, so why should one use play the pass against heavy pass teams.

Some games you are just gonna get lit up by the pass or the run, and unfortunately in some of those games your only chance is going to be to outscore your opposition.

I do not ding people for using the strat features that are within the rules, but I will not enjoy the game that is for sure, and I will label the use of such tactics cheap. And may choose not to play them again. If abused I may slightly ding someone.

Now we all know my opinion of the passing game on this version specially since the updates, this game is a very wide open game since the tuning. But it is not impossible to slow it down at times even without play the pass. I have been able to slow other teams, and guys have been able to slow me down without play the pass.

So since it is not impossible to play pass defense without it, I will not use it. That is just my opinion.

But again I will not ding anyone who is not breaking the rules of the league.
Nole4real
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Nole4real »

this will probably get lost in the chaos that this thread will inevitably become but..

i think ea really pushes us to use the stuff and its almost a neccesary evil.

I LOVE the idea of strategy, that I can "guess/predict/play" the run and have an increased chance of stopping the run and vice versa for pass

the problem though is ea fucks up the balance and bottom line is that its not equal. as shown last year when were figuring this shit out, u can guess run right and still shut down left and your dline comes through 90% of the time no matter the play

same with pass....u can guess pass and the defense still plays the run just as well as the normally would....so its a no lose situation

i would love to be able to play pass on someone, then see them run a draw and they fucking blow me out of the water for a big gain

thats strategy

same for playing short zone vs deep zone...if i play short zone, i should get killed deep

bottom line is it doesnt happen

this year, I dont think ANYONE I play uses anything on defense, so i dont either

i just line up and play and on the rare occasions i make someone punt, I celebrate like there is no tomorrow
DRiccio21
Reactions:

Post by DRiccio21 »

and am i correct that now if someone is using something it'll show up in the strategy points? so there is no way for cheesey dudes to hide this stuff?
trendon
Reactions:

Post by trendon »

DRiccio21 wrote:and am i correct that now if someone is using something it'll show up in the strategy points? so there is no way for cheesey dudes to hide this stuff?
Correct.
Nole4real
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Nole4real »

correct, you'd notice it at the end of the game especially

ive NEVER seen anyone with anything other than zero all year even in scrims

(except once i played hoos in a scrim and i had 5 points under strat and had no idea what i did to get 5 points)
trendon
Reactions:

Post by trendon »

Nole4real wrote:correct, you'd notice it at the end of the game especially

(except once i played hoos in a scrim and i had 5 points under strat and had no idea what i did to get 5 points)
You played me and I am sure I had 15 or so. According to my SS stats under Buffalo, I have over 750 points in strategy and I don't do anything but play NDL league games and RTG.
Nole4real
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Nole4real »

i swear i would think i woulda noticed

lol, if thats the case maybe others have too and i just didnt see it
6ftdeep
Reactions:

Post by 6ftdeep »

Nole4real wrote:correct, you'd notice it at the end of the game especially

probably picked up a big gain on a setup play.. If you end up running a play that the game deemed is set up.. like similar auto motion or something but different routes or play and get a big gain or first down you will get 5 points for strat, because you used one motion of a play to set up another play.

Nothing cheesing just something to make a coach go what he use.. on me.. lol and you wondering wtf i use .. i don't use strat
NCSUholmey
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by NCSUholmey »

I think one of the last versions of ps2 where the Pass/Run Commit thing was introduced, was one of the better times a strategy was implemented without it being over the top. I remember that if someone committed run and you had a pass called, you were getting chunks of yards. It changed how the DBs reacted and not really how the DL responded. The biggest problem with the stuff now is that it gives the DL an extra burst that makes them almost unstoppable.

But when you have an OL rated like mine, I just accept that I am going to be sacked 4 times or more per game, regardless of what plays I call.

If you call a play that has been "SETUP", you get strategy points as well. I finally called on the other day that was SETUP, and it gave me 5 points
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

Ank wrote:I think using strategy will cut down on guys just setting back and throwing non-stop all game.
But why do we need to cut down on this?
trendon
Reactions:

Post by trendon »

The "setup" feature is a mess, too. Not for any AI reasons but for tabulation purposes. I ran a PA pass and then ran a straight dropback pass out of a different formation and I got a +5 setup. What the fuck?

And they were both, like, 8 yard gains. Whooo SETUP!
texasfan4444
Reactions:

Post by texasfan4444 »

the better games i have been involved in are all ZERO on strategy points.....PERIOD.

In fact, I make it a point to thank my opponent afterwards if they have zero points.
trendon
Reactions:

Post by trendon »

texasfan4444 wrote:the better games i have been involved in are all ZERO on strategy points.....PERIOD.

In fact, I make it a point to thank my opponent afterwards if they have zero points.
Non-conference game next season?

Return to “NDL Open Forum”