Settings

This is the place for all Golf games played in the NDL.
Downing11
Reactions:

Settings

Post by Downing11 »

Just to get them on here, these are the settings options that I have every time I set up an event:

Swing Difficulty: Easy, Normal, Hard, Very Hard, Expert. This affects the forgiveness on your swing. Expert meaning you have to be very precise to hit the shot where you intend to.

Strike Meter: Perfect, Sticky, Analog and Analog Fade. This affect where you are hitting the ball. Perfect defaults, to the center all the time. Sticky let you more the cursor and it will stay there for you. Analog is where you have to hold the R button where you want it and Analog Fade is identical to Analog except once you move the cursor, it disappears after 1 or 2 seconds.

Shot Shaping: Off, Normal and Advanced. Off is the normal down to up swing on every shot. Normal is up to down on all shots except for purposely trying to draw and fade. Advanced is swinging the shot stick on an angle for you longer clubs.

Ball Spin: Don't worry about this, it will ALWAYS be turned off.

Putt Preview: Don't worry about this, it will ALWAYS be turned off.

Swing Meter: Off or On. In the bottom left corner of the screen, this shows you "how" to hit your shot and the power. It also shows the result of your swing. I believe this also will effect the putting meter and how hard you should hit the putt to get to the hole.

Wind Display: On, Arrow Only and off. Self explanatory. Kind of seems odd to me that we would use anything other than on. If you play real golf, you can feel the wind and how strong it is.

Zoom to Aim: On or off. This is when you can flick up on the L stick to zoom in on your landing area. Like wind display, not having this on would seem odd to me. Professional golfers are not guessing where they want to land their shot and they know the slope of the greens there are hitting to.

Green Grid: On, No Beads of Off. On shows the grid so you can see if it goes left or right or up and down and the beads are what move on the grid to show the severity. No Beads will still give you the grid and you have to figure out how severe you think the break will be. Off is no grid and no beads.

Boost Pins: Don't worry about this, it will ALWAYS be turned off.
Downing11
Reactions:

Re: Settings

Post by Downing11 »

My Personal Preference:

Swing Difficulty: Expert
Strike Meter: Analog
Shot Shaping: Normal or Advanced, not sure yet. Will depend on the swing meter. If swing meter is off, shot shaping should be normal so you can see at what angle you need to swing on draws or fades.
Ball Spin: Off
Putt Preview: Off
Swing Meter: Off Not sure yet on this one as I haven't tried it out yet without the swing meter.
Wind Display: On
Zoom to Aim: On
Green Grid: Either On or No Beads. I haven't tried No Beads out yet, but I like what I hear from No Beads as it will make putting harder.
Boost Pins: Off

All of this gives a 4.25 on the difficulty scale.
Last edited by Downing11 on Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

Downing11 wrote:My Personal Preference:

Strike Meter: Sticky-don't like the idea or having to hold both sticks as I concentrate on shooting
Shot Shaping: normal-don't like the idea of angling to shoot as that just seems weird
Swing Meter: this needs to be on
Green Grid: On
I understand the need to "make things harder" at times but we also have to understand not everyone is near as good as you and where do you draw the line at killing fun factor?

It's like Matt and Nole preach in the NDL of what is best for the masses to keep people interested and enjoying the game.

Maybe we play 10-15 tournies and re-evaluate after guys have been built up and such too.

I know this is just for discussion so that's my input. :)
OracleHCR
Reactions:

Post by OracleHCR »

Cnasty wrote:
Downing11 wrote:My Personal Preference:

Strike Meter: Sticky-don't like the idea or having to hold both sticks as I concentrate on shooting
Shot Shaping: normal-don't like the idea of angling to shoot as that just seems weird
Swing Meter: this needs to be on
Green Grid: On
I understand the need to "make things harder" at times but we also have to understand not everyone is near as good as you and where do you draw the line at killing fun factor?

It's like Matt and Nole preach in the NDL of what is best for the masses to keep people interested and enjoying the game.

Maybe we play 10-15 tournies and re-evaluate after guys have been built up and such too.

I know this is just for discussion so that's my input. :)
I would have to agree.
Downing11
Reactions:

Post by Downing11 »

Couldn't agree more. I just want to have everyone chime in on their thoughts to get to the best place for group.
Weasel
Reactions:

Post by Weasel »

What has the swing difficulty been the last couple tourneys?
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

Weasel wrote:What has the swing difficulty been the last couple tourneys?

I'm not sure but I was a lot less accurate than normal in this one. I missed a ton of fairways and was left a lot on my shots and that rarely happens.

No likie no beads when putting :x

Fnished +15

A 15 shot improvement from my +30 yesterday! :D
Downing11
Reactions:

Post by Downing11 »

Both dailies were expert swing difficulty.
Weasel
Reactions:

Post by Weasel »

Yeah I struggled without the beads too, but I can see myself getting used to it eventually.

I think today my issue was the wind, caught me off gaurd and had a couple shots get blown into the drink
Weasel
Reactions:

Post by Weasel »

Downing11 wrote:
Both dailies were expert swing difficulty.
Good to know, it wasnt as bad as I thought itd be then
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

And my guy is pretty terrible still and it didnt feel impossible.

I think my highest attribute is accuracy at 31
jsence2
Reactions:

Post by jsence2 »

My Personal Preference:

Strike Meter: Sticky, except when in bad lies (I do think if you have a bad lie, you should have to pay the penalty of having to hold the right stick AND have to take the shot....so whatever we had to do in the tourney yesterday?)
Shot Shaping: Advanced (Where you have to do it at the angle)
Swing Meter: Off (It's honestly not that hard once you get used to it; and this keeps people from restarting their swing if they see that it's offline)
Green Grid: No Beads

S14: N Texas 7-1
S15: Wake 8-5
S16-21: Washington 9-4, 10-3, 8-5, 9-4, 7-6, 6-7
S22: Ohio 8-5
S23: ECU 12-2
S24-26: Kentucky 8-5, 5-7, 5-7
Career: 102-61
Downing11
Reactions:

Post by Downing11 »

Jsence, the strike meter you are referring to is analog.

After playing today's daily with the No Beads green, I do like that setting.

Still haven't tried without the swing meter yet but will give that a go tonight with normal and advanced shot shaping.
jsence2
Reactions:

Post by jsence2 »

Downing11 wrote:Jsence, the strike meter you are referring to is analog.

Still haven't tried without the swing meter yet but will give that a go tonight with normal and advanced shot shaping.

Please make sure that our "daily" tournaments run 24 hours btw, I play mine at night. Cannot wait until May when I get off this crappy schedule.

S14: N Texas 7-1
S15: Wake 8-5
S16-21: Washington 9-4, 10-3, 8-5, 9-4, 7-6, 6-7
S22: Ohio 8-5
S23: ECU 12-2
S24-26: Kentucky 8-5, 5-7, 5-7
Career: 102-61
Downing11
Reactions:

Post by Downing11 »

jsence2 wrote:
Downing11 wrote:Jsence, the strike meter you are referring to is analog.

Please make sure that our "daily" tournaments run 24 hours btw, I play mine at night. Cannot wait until May when I get off this crappy schedule.
They all should be 24 hours and you can't have any overlap. I've been doing 2 PM start time each day.
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

Downing11 wrote:After playing today's daily with the No Beads green, I do like that setting.
Then please type up a tutorial on how to read the break of the green. :lol:
Downing11
Reactions:

Post by Downing11 »

Cnasty wrote:
Downing11 wrote:After playing today's daily with the No Beads green, I do like that setting.
Then please type up a tutorial on how to read the break of the green. :lol:
No problem, the first thing I do is determine if the putt is uphill or downhill. For every inch up or down hill, adjust one foot of distance. The only caveat to this is if you are playing on tournament greens. Those tend to be faster (vice versa with slow greens), but I generally use the one inch/one foot idea. Also note that in the rain, the greens are obvioulsly slower and they don't break as much. As far as left or right break, I just kind of have a feel for it based on playing but there are a couple things that can help you out. By looking at the grid and how you ball reacted on your approach, you can usually figure out if it will go left or right. To figure out how much you can move the cursor over the green and see if/how much it changes elevation. If you can't tell, then it is usually fairly straight. On putts that I think are straight or only break a little bit, I usually just try to hit the putt harder and eliminate any break at all. Hope that helps.

The most important thing is to get the speed right. That should at least eliminate 3 putts for the most part.
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

You mention a grid but that was off this tourney, wasn't it?

That helps a lot. My speed was ok without the beads but my breaks left and right were way off without the beads.

Thanks for that
Downing11
Reactions:

Post by Downing11 »

Cnasty wrote:You mention a grid but that was off this tourney, wasn't it?

That helps a lot. My speed was ok without the beads but my breaks left and right were way off without the beads.

Thanks for that
The grid was there but the beads that move were what was turned off. They are subtle to see, but they were there. Glad I could help.
buckeye76
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by buckeye76 »

Cnasty wrote:You mention a grid but that was off this tourney, wasn't it?

Thanks for that

I may have cussed downing once or twice today while playing the daily...even more impressive was his -9. I work tomorrow, so hopefully I can sneak it in when I get home Sunday morning...

Return to “Golf”