Who's #2?

Get the latest news and NDL related articles by our talented group of writers.
mbyrd75
Reactions:

Re: Who's #2?

Post by mbyrd75 »

To me the lack of a CC game and being ranked 6th at the tine of the vote played a role in osu ending up third. Florida losing late knocked them back to 4. Sparty winning streak and cc win put em up to #2 in my poll
yougoogelizer
Reactions:

Post by yougoogelizer »

Im confused how losing late vs losing early makes a difference in how a team is ranked...can someone explain that to me? Especially in a league where games aren't even truly played in their respective block half the time.
PSN: yougoogelizer
AIM: chriscmacx

Season 22: Oregon Ducks 6-7
Season 23: FIU Panthers 3-9

swellvermin
Reactions:

Post by swellvermin »

yougoogelizer wrote:Im confused how losing late vs losing early makes a difference in how a team is ranked...can someone explain that to me? Especially in a league where games aren't even truly played in their respective block half the time.
Yah lol....so u can lose ur block 1 game the night before the season closes, so u lost late so u must be dropped 87 spots....
Wasted Memory
Reactions:

Post by Wasted Memory »

swellvermin wrote: Yah lol....so u can lose ur block 1 game the night before the season closes, so u lost late so u must be dropped 87 spots....
What? This is the final poll. All games are played. How are you even keeping track of when they played? Are you telling me you're going through everyone's recaps to see the date they were entered? A Week 1 loss is a Week 1 loss, regardless of when it was played. Pretty sure same applies to Week 12, 13, 14, etc. :lol:
Last edited by Wasted Memory on Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mbyrd75
Reactions:

Post by mbyrd75 »

Imo if this were say the week ten poll and before that block of games had uf at 2 and msu at 3 then uf lost id be moving msu ahead of them. No difference if its final poll or week 4 i always look at my poll that way. Not saying right or wrong just what i do
WJ5811
Reactions:

Post by WJ5811 »

Wasted Memory wrote:
Daw1git wrote:yeah 2 inactive games hurt
Yep, I'm sure Georgia would have had a good season with that team --- dreading Champ getting them already ---- :? Not sure how UCF would have done.
Shows how inactive/simmed games can effect the whole process. By both those teams getting simmed out it brought down Florida's SOS. Thats assuming they wouldnt have been that bad under their respective coaches which im doubting they would have.
PSN: WJ5811
AIM: WJ5811
JUSTIN TV USER: WJ5811
Weasel
Reactions:

Post by Weasel »

WJ5811 wrote:
Wasted Memory wrote:
Yep, I'm sure Georgia would have had a good season with that team --- dreading Champ getting them already ---- :? Not sure how UCF would have done.
Shows how inactive/simmed games can effect the whole process. By both those teams getting simmed out it brought down Florida's SOS. Thats assuming they wouldnt have been that bad under their respective coaches which im doubting they would have.
Ol Miss got simmed out too after I beat him, it happens
WJ5811
Reactions:

Post by WJ5811 »

Weasel wrote:
WJ5811 wrote:
Wasted Memory wrote:
Ol Miss got simmed out too after I beat him, it happens
I know it happens. Wasnt my point that it only happened to him. My point was these things effect the league as a whole and not just that one coach who gets replaced. It throws the whole thing off in some cases.
Weasel
Reactions:

Post by Weasel »

WJ5811 wrote:
I know it happens. Wasnt my point that it only happened to him. My point was these things effect the league as a whole and not just that one coach who gets replaced. It throws the whole thing off in some cases.

Word
Daw1git
Reactions:

Post by Daw1git »

the issue with the lossing late deal is well what if VT lost his last game and only had 1 lost while everyone else had 2
by what you explain with the lossing late process he should drop to 3 or 4 while 2 and 1 move up despite having 2 loss while everyone else has 1

example
#1 v-tech 12 - 0
#2 MSU 10 - 2
#3 UF 10 - 2
#4 OK st 10 - 2

VT lose last game

so from what your saying is he should drop but drop where?

#1 MSU 11-2
#2 UF 11-2
#3 OK ST 11-2
#4 Vtech 12-1

if i use your drop process, not trying to be funny everyone votes how they please

my thought process is the best 2 teams play for the championship

I have 3 teams looking for a chance to play undefeated Vtech

OK st lost to Tennessee which hurts him because UF beat Tennessee

so that puts it to me between UF and Mich st

Mich st lost to ND who lost to UNC(8-4) Stanford(9-3) BC(3-9)
Mich st best win was against Wisconsin (10-3)
UF lost to FSU(10-3) who lost to Marshall (9-3) Virginia Tech (13-0)
UF best win was against LSU(11-2)

so to me UF lost was better than MSU's
UF biggest win against LSU was about equal because LSU would be undefeated in the title had it not played UF and Wisconsin would be undefeated had it not played MSU nor Vtech

SO UF gets the slight edge due to a better lost than MSU

I thinks thats how me and the other guys are thinking
WJ5811
Reactions:

Post by WJ5811 »

Daw1git wrote:the issue with the lossing late deal is well what if VT lost his last game and only had 1 lost while everyone else had 2
by what you explain with the lossing late process he should drop to 3 or 4 while 2 and 1 move up despite having 2 loss while everyone else has 1

example
#1 v-tech 12 - 0
#2 MSU 10 - 2
#3 UF 10 - 2
#4 OK st 10 - 2

VT lose last game

#1 MSU 11-2
#2 UF 11-2
#3 OK ST 11-2
#4 Vtech 12-1

if i use your drop process, not trying to be funny everyone votes how they please

UF biggest win against LSU was about equal because LSU would be undefeated in the title had it not played UF and Wisconsin would be undefeated had it not played MSU nor Vtech

I understand the dropping down a spot when a team loses. I actually do vote that way through most of the season because its just kind of the natural process. Until the final poll then I look at the season as a whole and I take into account the title game and who I think the 2 best teams are and I vote for where I think the teams finally rank now that everything is played. I dont just go in order of how I voted before. I pretty much start from scratch really. But I totally do understand the drop down method when you lose. I think in the above case you gave VT would still be #1 for most people because of the one loss with the others having two at worst he might drop to #2.
WJ5811
Reactions:

Post by WJ5811 »

WJ5811 wrote:
Daw1git wrote:the issue with the lossing late deal is well what if VT lost his last game and only had 1 lost while everyone else had 2

example
#1 v-tech 12 - 0
#2 MSU 10 - 2
#3 UF 10 - 2
#4 OK st 10 - 2

VT lose last game

#1 MSU 11-2
#2 UF 11-2
#3 OK ST 11-2
#4 Vtech 12-1

I understand the dropping down a spot when a team loses. I actually do vote that way through most of the season because its just kind of the natural process. Until the final poll then I look at the season as a whole and I take into account the title game and who I think the 2 best teams are and I vote for where I think the teams finally rank now that everything is played. I dont just go in order of how I voted before. I pretty much start from scratch really. But I totally do understand the drop down method when you lose. I think in the above case you gave VT would still be #1 for most people because of the one loss with the others having two at worst he might drop to #2 but he wouldnt get bumped out.
WJ5811
Reactions:

Post by WJ5811 »

example
#1 v-tech 12 - 0
#2 MSU 10 - 2
#3 UF 10 - 2
#4 OK st 10 - 2

VT lose last game

#1 MSU 11-2
#2 UF 11-2
#3 OK ST 11-2
#4 Vtech 12-1

I understand the dropping down a spot when a team loses. I actually do vote that way through most of the season because its just kind of the natural process. Until the final poll then I look at the season as a whole and I take into account the title game and who I think the 2 best teams are and I vote for where I think the teams finally rank now that everything is played. I dont just go in order of how I voted before. I pretty much start from scratch really. But I totally do understand the drop down method when you lose. I think in the above case you gave VT would still be #1 for most people because of the one loss with the others having two at worst he might drop to #2 but he wouldnt get bumped out of the title game.
The_Niddler
Reactions:

Post by The_Niddler »

WJ5811 wrote:I understand the dropping down a spot when a team loses. I actually do vote that way through most of the season because its just kind of the natural process. Until the final poll then I look at the season as a whole and I take into account the title game and who I think the 2 best teams are and I vote for where I think the teams finally rank now that everything is played. I dont just go in order of how I voted before. I pretty much start from scratch really. But I totally do understand the drop down method when you lose. I think in the above case you gave VT would still be #1 for most people because of the one loss with the others having two at worst he might drop to #2 but he wouldnt get bumped out of the title game.

The point I was trying to make, and again, this is just my opinion, but it is that you shouldn't be starting over each week and you should be taking into account where they are currently ranked before the poll you are voting in.

For example, say a team loses in week 5, but wins in week 6, they are currently ranked #7.
When the next poll voting comes out after week 6, they are dropping a spot or a few in my next ratings.

Of course there is a situation where if every team above them loses, then they may not drop, depending on what each team that is right behind them does too.

I did want to mention though, I completely understand that the final poll is a little different, since you have conference championship games and other things in play.
PSN: The_Niddler
TWITCH: The_Niddler
mbyrd75
Reactions:

Post by mbyrd75 »

I Get where youre coming from dawgit but i also think personally the SEC was pretty weak this year. That didn't help either. In the end the late loss factored in alot for me.
yougoogelizer
Reactions:

Post by yougoogelizer »

mbyrd75 wrote:I Get where youre coming from dawgit but i also think personally the SEC was pretty weak this year. That didn't help either. In the end the late loss factored in alot for me.
Interesting since Oklahoma St lost to an 8-4 SEC team. The only other matchups between SEC and Big 12 was Oklahoma (9-3) over Texas A&M (5-7). Big 10 was 3-2 against SEC teams but LSU was the only team over .500 the Big 10 played and that was a loss for Ohio St...one of the top teams in that conference who only lost to michigan state 9-6. Curious what makes you think the SEC was weak? They beat each other up all season so their records look worse but against other conferences their top teams won.
PSN: yougoogelizer
AIM: chriscmacx

Season 22: Oregon Ducks 6-7
Season 23: FIU Panthers 3-9

shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

Massey says the SEC was like 4th or 5th best.

Big 12, ACC and even Big East were better from what I recall.
fsupenguin
Reactions:

Post by fsupenguin »

Honestly if VT had lost the ACC champ game to FSU I would not have voted him any higher than 3rd in the final poll. All the anti playoff crowd talks about how the regular season is a "playoff", therefore I really do see a late loss as a huge deal.
6ftdeep
Reactions:

Post by 6ftdeep »

wow a quite a few people saying late losses hurt .. doesn't sound like the league that voted in Auburn to the title game last season after getting blown out in the sec title game.
VTrunNgun
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by VTrunNgun »

6ftdeep wrote:wow a quite a few people saying late losses hurt .. doesn't sound like the league that voted in Auburn to the title game last season after getting blown out in the sec title game.
Interesting enough, it wasn't too long ago I lose on a last second hail mary in the ACC title game, after going 12-0, just to see my Hokies voted out of the title game... :|

Return to “NDL:ESPN”