Question on etiquette

All NDL or video game football related conversations go here.

Cheesy or not?

Yes
16%
No
84%

Total votes: 44

Coach KO
Reactions:

Question on etiquette

Post by Coach KO »

your tied or down 3 or less points and within field goal range. you just gained a first down and there is less than 25 seconds on the board.

Your opponent signals for the field goal team and you call a timeout to ice him. After the timeout, he calls a normal running play. Calls another fg and once again you call a timeout to ice him and once again he calls a running play. He then calls his own timeout and goes for the game winning kick when you have no more timeouts left.

Whats your call?

Cheesy/Unsportmanslike?
Fair game?
ajalves
Site Admin
Reactions:

Re: Question on etiquette

Post by ajalves »

I think its pretty smart. The 'icing the kicker' feature is ghey :)
RanDawg
Reactions:

Post by RanDawg »

I say that if he runs the ball, when he calls the running play, then no cheese. But if he calls the running play and does not run the ball (meaning he calls timeout before the snap), then that is cheese.
brocam
Reactions:

Post by brocam »

From reading the EA programmer's blogs...I've heard in next year's game there will be this incredibly awesome sequel called Ice the Quarterback. If you are on defense, facing a critical 3rd down you can call a timeout. Then when the other team's offense comes back out on the field the screen will be covered in 'ice'. There will be no receiver icons and the receivers will run random routes once the ball is snapped. EA ROCKS!
Stand Up Chuck And Let Em See You!
Weasel
Reactions:

Post by Weasel »

To me, time management and use of timeouts is coaching strategy, not cheese
GT25Ump
Reactions:

Post by GT25Ump »

Weasel wrote:To me, time management and use of timeouts is coaching strategy, not cheese

Seconded
dakshdar
Reactions:

Post by dakshdar »

This is the most confusing post ever. Who gained a first down, you or your opponent? Who is down 3, you or your opponent?

If your opponent is down less than 3 and it is first down with less than 25 seconds on the clock and you call a timeout it would be immenently smart of him to either run or kneel if he is in field goal range to get the clock lower before his attempt.

His strategy seems sound and realistic.
pounddarock
Reactions:

Post by pounddarock »

I normally try to avoid these threads about "gameplay" just seems like a thread for people to bitch and complain rather than actually take a look at a certain "feature" in the game, but this one actually seemed interesting.

The ice the kicker feature, with no time remaining is actually pretty cool IMO, it's a realistic tactic that many coaches utilize now. I say that if you try to ice the kicker, and the offensive team calls a time out to get out of it, that makes perfect sense. This cycle could repeat as many times as the defense or offense has timeouts.

I would also say that the "ice" feature doesn't make it that difficult to still kick the ball...if you have your timing down, it doesn't even matter if you can see the meter...and you can still use the coaches cam to line up your kick.

So I guess my answer to this would be "no" if the offense can avoid the ice, then it's their timeouts they are using...go for it. It's all strategy anyway at the end of the game with timeouts. I wouldn't waste a timeout to ice the kicker if there was any chance that I would get the ball back anyway.
VTrunNgun
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by VTrunNgun »

I voted for fair game...Essentially here is why...

1.) If it's still regulation, then time is still a huge factor...You said it was under 25 seconds, so it's important to consider there are a 'ton' of scenarios that could play out still...You call a timeout, he opts to run, say you force a fumble!? Say the guy is a bone head and runs around then falls just short of the goaline and time expires!? Better yet, say he breaks the run up the gut and scores a TD instead!? You may see it as a forgone conclusion that he's gonna kick the ball for the win, but you have to acknowledge there are still too many variables still in play that could change the game...

2.) You may skew your decision making b/c its a video game and the odds are a bit fixed, but consider he did run the ball twice...Not only did he risk the crazy possibilities of the game going the other way once, but he did it twice...

3.) You mentioned the game clock was expiring...A field goal ultimately would sway this game and it became evident that he was trying to avoid being iced...Did you ever consider after you called the first timeout and he ran, to just let the clock run!? Instead of calling a timeout directly after his first run, you could let the clock run and have him be the one that stops the clock next go round...Think of it being whoever has the last say in the matter...Clock runs, gets under 10 seconds, all of a sudden an extra run up the gut to avoid ice seems too risky...Say he gets greedy, he may just run out of time all together

That is how I would see the situation...In regulation it's a whole different ball game...You may see it one way but you can't ignore all the other possibilities...If this game was in overtime, then it would be different
VeniVediV1ci
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by VeniVediV1ci »

i think it's legit
DRiccio21
Reactions:

Post by DRiccio21 »

why didnt you just wait til there was like 3 or 4 seconds left then called the time out?
ChampDizzle
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by ChampDizzle »

I agree, happened to me once and I felt like a douche. Just smart stragedy.
Cubskin
Reactions:

Post by Cubskin »

Dr Tom Gordon wrote:
Weasel wrote:To me, time management and use of timeouts is coaching strategy, not cheese

Seconded
Thirded
RanDawg
Reactions:

Post by RanDawg »

So let me get this straight . . . if the team comes out in FG, you call a timeout, he then comes out with a running play. Before the snap of the ball, he calls a timeout . . . wouldn't that be considered a loop hole in the "ice the kicker" feature.

Or, you are telling me that in real life, an opponent will call a time out to ice your kicker, then the kicking team will call a timeout to "un"ice his kicker???? That is BS.

So . . . if you guys are good with going around EAs gameplay features by loopholes, how would you feel if you fumble the ball and the opponent recovers. And both coaches know DAMN WELL the ball carrier was down when the ball came out, but because of "good strategy", the team that recovers decided to take a delay of game penalty so that the play could not be reviewed and the call on the field reversed.

Back to the point in hand, the "calling a timeout" on offense to negate the "ice the kicker" is a horseshit call. And if you guys think it is ok, then expect me to start getting "delay of game" penalties after a fumble recover.

PS. Take out the fact that there was 25 seconds left. Let's act as if the scenerio was 5 seconds or less before you reply to me.
DRiccio21
Reactions:

Post by DRiccio21 »

maybe i read it wrong, i thought he ACTUALLY ran the ball, then called the to's. if he just lined up in a run, then thats a little silly.
ajalves
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by ajalves »

RanDawg wrote:So let me get this straight . . . if the team comes out in FG, you call a timeout, he then comes out with a running play. Before the snap of the ball, he calls a timeout . . . wouldn't that be considered a loop hole in the "ice the kicker" feature.

Or, you are telling me that in real life, an opponent will call a time out to ice your kicker, then the kicking team will call a timeout to "un"ice his kicker???? That is BS.

So . . . if you guys are good with going around EAs gameplay features by loopholes, how would you feel if you fumble the ball and the opponent recovers. And both coaches know DAMN WELL the ball carrier was down when the ball came out, but because of "good strategy", the team that recovers decided to take a delay of game penalty so that the play could not be reviewed and the call on the field reversed.

Back to the point in hand, the "calling a timeout" on offense to negate the "ice the kicker" is a horseshit call. And if you guys think it is ok, then expect me to start getting "delay of game" penalties after a fumble recover.

PS. Take out the fact that there was 25 seconds left. Let's act as if the scenerio was 5 seconds or less before you reply to me.
its not real clear whether he actually ran the running play or not, like davei assumed he did. both times.
VTrunNgun
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by VTrunNgun »

DRiccio21 wrote:maybe i read it wrong, i thought he ACTUALLY ran the ball, then called the to's. if he just lined up in a run, then thats a little silly.

See that is what I'm stuck on too...Everything I stated before was in case he actually did run the ball...A timeout to avoid a loophole in the game is total bs
pounddarock
Reactions:

Post by pounddarock »

DRiccio21 wrote:maybe i read it wrong, i thought he ACTUALLY ran the ball, then called the to's. if he just lined up in a run, then thats a little silly.
yeah, I agree...somehow in the explanation there was a run play and a phantom timeout...

EA added a feature this year, that doesn't mean that it's perfect. Like I mentioned before, I don't think this feature really effects the kick if you can line up the kick with the coaches cam and time your power. No matter what, this is a game. Play and have fun, if you feel the need to use this feature to try and get the edge in the game, then I have no problem with the offense calling a timeout and choosing a different play in the place of kicking the ball instead.

I believe that the feature goes in place even if the offense calls a timeout as well (unless they choose a different play).

Now I agree with Randawg if the offense then calls a run play just to have the defense waste his timeouts to get a kick off without the ice..then that's just stupid. Either kick the ball, or not. If you think that your kicker (or your skills) are that hurt by the "ice" call...then don't kick it.
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

then I want my championship because VVV did this exact thing on the game winner. :lol:

PS just kidding veni before you go into "I hate aj/nasty/shel mode" :lol:
VTrunNgun
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by VTrunNgun »

Cnasty wrote:then I want my championship because VVV did this exact thing on the game winner. :lol:

PS just kidding veni before you go into "I hate aj/nasty/shel mode" :lol:
Can I get a replay for the ACC Title too then ;)

Return to “NDL Open Forum”