Credit Card Rewards

Come one, come all. Talk about anything not league or video game football related here.
Weasel
Reactions:

Re: Credit Card Rewards

Post by Weasel »

The CSR bonus used to be much more substantial, although I never used it. Ted I believe is a regular CSR user though
Seeitsaveit13
Reactions:

Post by Seeitsaveit13 »

Weasel wrote:The CSR bonus used to be much more substantial, although I never used it. Ted I believe is a regular CSR user though
Yea no referral. All good
ImageImageImageImage
Uuaww
Reactions:

Post by Uuaww »

i just recently switched to marriott bonvoy from CSR. I will go back to CSR when I'm done but no reason to keep it as I want another bonus lol
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

#thatbonuslyf
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

Weasel wrote:
Cnasty wrote: I did mess up and add the wife as an authorized user but that's ok as I'll need her spend to meet the need :lol:
Pro tip: Utilize google/android/Apple Pay. Wife gets a card in her name, we only have the one card. I enter into Google pay, that way I can use it by paying with my phone at gas stations/stores that accept it (more and more do), and any online purchases I make use it as well (its saved and auto-filled when selecting payment options, I only have to memorize the 3 digit security code on back). This way we both can contribute to meeting the minimum spending while only having one physical card between us.
This has been so clutch for us but we have modified it a bit in working it across meeting the MSR on 2 cards at one time. Good tip here for people doing this in 2 player mode.
Wasted Memory
Reactions:

Post by Wasted Memory »

Was re-reading a lot of this. When you guys say you're moving points from one card to another, do you mean balances (as in what you owe) or actually bonus points? I guess I never realized you could transfer earned bonus points from one card to another if that's what you're stating.

Also curious, do balance transfers of what you owe from one card to another meet the $XXXX in purchases to earn the bonus?
Uuaww
Reactions:

Post by Uuaww »

Wasted Memory wrote:Was re-reading a lot of this. When you guys say you're moving points from one card to another, do you mean balances (as in what you owe) or actually bonus points? I guess I never realized you could transfer earned bonus points from one card to another if that's what you're stating.

Also curious, do balance transfers of what you owe from one card to another meet the $XXXX in purchases to earn the bonus?
theres only so many reward types. Most people stick with major airlines and hotels. However if you fly say thai airways, you can claim the miles as United via codeshare.

There are also some "points" that can be transferred to hotels or airlines at a 1:1 or so ratio. Common ones are Ultimate Rewards (via Chase) or ThankYou points (via Citi).

Balance transfers do not count towards bonus. Also do no carry balances on these cards period. If you can't pay them off each month in full, this isn't your game. The interest rates on these cards are stupid high.
Wasted Memory
Reactions:

Post by Wasted Memory »

Uuaww wrote: Balance transfers do not count towards bonus. Also do no carry balances on these cards period. If you can't pay them off each month in full, this isn't your game. The interest rates on these cards are stupid high.

Yeah, I knew as soon as I typed that it looked bad on carrying balances. As luck would have it, if that had worked out, we just took a vacation and I haven't paid the card off this month yet. Thought it might be an easy way to get "free" points.
Wasted Memory
Reactions:

Post by Wasted Memory »

I'm interested in the AA Executive World Elite card. We travel AA a lot for work and would be nice to have the club benefit with that. I saw several of you like Chase cards on here a lot. Would those be recommended more than this AA one?
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

Yes, Chase is the gold standard of cards to get first as they have a strict 5/24 (can only open 5 new accounts regardless of which bank in 24 months) rule that is strictly adhered to and their UR (Ultimate Rewards) system is the best in the game imo as they provide so much flexibility and value.

If you really want to get into this, Slack me and Ted and we can do a group chat on steering you specifically on a plan to maximize.

I started in May and by the end of the year I will have enough points/awards for 14 days basically anywhere I want with flight/hotel free. Also the SW Companion Pass where basically its buy one, get one ticket on any flights on SW for 2 full years. Insane value.

Thanks Ted and Weasel!! :)
Weasel
Reactions:

Post by Weasel »

It's funny, once I got into this it really became a hobby. Tracking points, planning upcoming bonuses, planning what Id like to do with the points... Keeping everything straight can take a good amount of work, but I enjoy optimizing the game
Uuaww
Reactions:

Post by Uuaww »

I love having enough points to go literally anywhere I want.
qazhby
Reactions:

Post by qazhby »

Cnasty wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:18 pm
Seeitsaveit13 wrote:Anyone have experience with Chase Sapphire Preferred. Thinking of swapping out my venture card
Yup we have 2. One of the best starter cards and solid rewards and sign up bonus and Chase cards have high reward values.
Old thread, but is this still true?

I am old now
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

Yes and they are at all time high bonuses at the moment.

Start with Chase
Research the 5/24 rule
Start your journey

I still do this and it has been life changing in regards to vacations/investing.
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

Weasel wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:41 pm It's funny, once I got into this it really became a hobby. Tracking points, planning upcoming bonuses, planning what Id like to do with the points... Keeping everything straight can take a good amount of work, but I enjoy optimizing the game
You said this almost 2 years ago and I could not agree more today.

We have opened 30+ cards in 2 years and racked up over 1million points across UR/MR and cash back to invest and haven't paid for a hotel, vacation, or car since.

Thanks for opening my eyes!
Weasel
Reactions:

Post by Weasel »

Thank Teddy, he's the one that got me started nearly 10 years ago. That said, these days I rotate through 3-4 cards a year between my Wife and I, nothing too crazy. Enough for flights and a nice vacation every other year
Wasted Memory
Reactions:

Post by Wasted Memory »

qazhby wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:14 pm
Seeitsaveit13 wrote:Anyone have experience with Chase Sapphire Preferred. Thinking of swapping out my venture card
Yup we have 2. One of the best starter cards and solid rewards and sign up bonus and Chase cards have high reward values.

I am old now
Some where out here in the Off Topic Forums is a post by Qaz making fun of us for talking about credit cards, mattresses, and other "old person" crap. We told him he'd being read through this stuff eventually. I'm too old to go look for it though....
wdoupis
Reactions:

Post by wdoupis »

Shel is on it
qazhby
Reactions:

Post by qazhby »

Wasted Memory wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:14 pm
qazhby wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:14 pm

I am old now
Some where out here in the Off Topic Forums is a post by Qaz making fun of us for talking about credit cards, mattresses, and other "old person" crap. We told him he'd being read through this stuff eventually. I'm too old to go look for it though....
I’m pretty sure it was in this thread hahahah
qazhby
Reactions:

Post by qazhby »

Cnasty wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:36 pm Yes and they are at all time high bonuses at the moment.

Start with Chase
Research the 5/24 rule
Start your journey

I still do this and it has been life changing in regards to vacations/investing.
Thanks Corey!

Return to “Off Topic Forum”