Rory McIlroy PGA Tour Review

This is the place for all Golf games played in the NDL.
Downing11
Reactions:

Rory McIlroy PGA Tour Review

Post by Downing11 »

Clearly not the best game I have every played, but not the worst. I've spent $60 on far worse things. That said, the game is really stripped down (less courses, less equipment, etc.) but I think there is some room for improvement with updates and/or DLC for more courses. I played last night for a couple hours and here are my thoughts.

Visually it is very nice. The courses look great, but the players sometimes look a little weird. You get 3 options for gameplay: Arcade, Classic and Tour. I don't find any of them perfect, but luckily you can custom select options to toggle on and off. I turned off the ball spin, boost, putt read and aiming arc, basically using a similar setup that we used in a league a couple years back. The swing is very similar to before and when you turn on the Hard settings for swinging, you will see some errant shots if you are not perfect or very close to it with your swing. The one thing that drove me crazy was on the Advanced swing option it takes into account how quickly/slowly you move the shot stick back and forth which produces a Long/Short swing when you pull down and a Fast/Slow swing when you push up. It also shows you the % of how long/short and fast/slow you did on the shot. The longer the club, the faster you have to push up to get a Perfect or Fast swing to get the ball to go the distance the club says it will go. I found it very difficult to get a perfect or fast swing and often found myself at slow between 6 to 10% no matter what I tried meaning that almost every shot I hit was coming up short. Maybe that was just me and I'll certainly revisit it, but when you turn off this option your clubs will generally go the distance they "should" taking into account wind, lie, etc. The other thing I don't care for is the swing meter. In the past I believe it was a line showing you the power, now it is a small circle that "fills up" in your downswing. It just seems too small and fills up very quickly. For regular shots this isn't too big of a deal as you can judge more by the "feel" of your swing, but for putting I feel it fills up too fast and you are almost pushing down then pushing up extremely quickly. It just doesn't feel as natural of a stroke as hitting a regular shot. Again, might just be me.

There isn't a Country Club option and from the brief time I looked at the online stuff, I didn't see a spot where you could set up your own tournament and make it private and invite friends. To be honest though, I didn't really look to much at this. If this is the case and the only options are the standard Arcade / Classic / Tour with no possibility of customizing the settings, you are going to see the 20 under rounds in the Arcade and Classic again this year.

I also didn't look into the Night Club feature which seems to just be mini games. Might be fun, will check it out later.

There is not any load time between holes and the rounds play as quickly as you want if you don't want to watch every shot in regular speed and hit the triangle to speed through each shot.

I created my golfer to start a career and the XP system is very similar to previous years. The thing that is different is that you don't get to spend the points on whatever attributes you want. Instead you pick a player type, Balanced, Power, Finesse and I think there was one more to start. After you gain points depending on what you picked, the CPU bumps your attributes for you. After you level up a few times, there are move player type options that also become available. Center Cut and Up and Down are 2 that I remember. Center cut I'm assuming sacrifices distance for accuracy and Up and Down must bump your short game attributes. You have the option to play all 4 rounds each tournament or another option that I forget the name of, but you play 5 to 6 "important" holes from each round. This option is what I went win last night and finished a distant 4th in the tournament I played. Might be a nice feature to have to make the best of of 20 holes or so you are going to play instead of just blowing the field away each tournament.

I'll post more as I play and if anyone sees me online, drop me a line and we can play a round or 2.
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Re: Rory McIlroy PGA Tour Review

Post by shel311 »

Good review.

Kinda stinks, I feel like I'm in the mood for a golf game, doing an offline tour type deal, but I'm not sure this year is the version to pick back up with the game.
Downing11
Reactions:

Post by Downing11 »

The other thing I found interesting is that they didn't give a number to the game like Rory McIlroy PGA Tour 15 or 2015. Makes it seem like this might not be released every year (which would be very UN-EAlike) but instead have updates to it along with DLC courses. I got TPC Scottsdale free with my preorder, but it is a free DLC coming the middle of September. I'm sure EA will find a way to make more money on this, maybe a paid update for future year(s)??
Seeitsaveit13
Reactions:

Post by Seeitsaveit13 »

I found myself asking the clerk (I preordered) for "Tiger Woods Rory McIlroy 2016"... It just seemed right...

I'd echo what downing said. I enjoy the game, it's not the best I've ever played, but it's the best in a while.

I actually play it in tour mode, with no changes. I didn't add spin, I just let the natural ball spin take over. I'm using my custom player and playing through the tour. I got the pre order ad on so I have Scottsdale, and there is a rumor that they can add Augusta to DLC later in the year, which would be clutch.

I actually like how realistic the shots are. If you fuck up, you get punished, you can't spin your way out of it. But that's just me
ImageImageImageImage
Seeitsaveit13
Reactions:

Post by Seeitsaveit13 »

Downing11 wrote:The other thing I found interesting is that they didn't give a number to the game like Rory McIlroy PGA Tour 15 or 2015. Makes it seem like this might not be released every year (which would be very UN-EAlike) but instead have updates to it along with DLC courses. I got TPC Scottsdale free with my preorder, but it is a free DLC coming the middle of September. I'm sure EA will find a way to make more money on this, maybe a paid update for future year(s)??
I wondered the same thing about the lack of a date. Maybe just because it's the first one? DLC would make sense. They don't have to make a new game, but they can keep getting money.

You know everyone will pay for Augusta when it comes out
ImageImageImageImage
jsence2
Reactions:

Post by jsence2 »

Seeitsaveit13 wrote:
Downing11 wrote:The other thing I found interesting is that they didn't give a number to the game like Rory McIlroy PGA Tour 15 or 2015. Makes it seem like this might not be released every year (which would be very UN-EAlike) but instead have updates to it along with DLC courses. I got TPC Scottsdale free with my preorder, but it is a free DLC coming the middle of September. I'm sure EA will find a way to make more money on this, maybe a paid update for future year(s)??
I wondered the same thing about the lack of a date. Maybe just because it's the first one? DLC would make sense. They don't have to make a new game, but they can keep getting money.

You know everyone will pay for Augusta when it comes out

Let me know when you're free later, I wouldn't mind doing a sharing session and trying this game out

S14: N Texas 7-1
S15: Wake 8-5
S16-21: Washington 9-4, 10-3, 8-5, 9-4, 7-6, 6-7
S22: Ohio 8-5
S23: ECU 12-2
S24-26: Kentucky 8-5, 5-7, 5-7
Career: 102-61
Seeitsaveit13
Reactions:

Post by Seeitsaveit13 »

There's also a quick round feature where you only play 5-6 key holes per round. Keeps things moving along in career mode and you can play a 4 round tourney in less than an hour easily
ImageImageImageImage
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

Got this with EA Access on the Xbox 1.

Tri click on the hardest level so far is perfect, enjoying the Pro Career.
dakshdar
Reactions:

Post by dakshdar »

$5 on PSN for the next week.
DRiccio21
Reactions:

Post by DRiccio21 »

dakshdar wrote:$5 on PSN for the next week.
spend 15 and get TGC2
dakshdar
Reactions:

Post by dakshdar »

I have the first one but never seem to go back and play it.

And TGC2 is $40 right now, so not a prime time to purchase.
DRiccio21
Reactions:

Post by DRiccio21 »

dakshdar wrote:I have the first one but never seem to go back and play it.

And TGC2 is $40 right now, so not a prime time to purchase.
i don't remember the game ever being 40 bucks.

i've actually seen it at 15 bucks at target

Return to “Golf”