Season 3

This is the place for all Golf games played in the NDL.
Downing11
Reactions:

Season 3

Post by Downing11 »

With Season 2 set to finish up this Sunday, just wanted to get some thoughts on Season 3.

It looks like from prior conversations we will do without the handicap system. The scores appear to be much closer than they were in Season 1 so I don't think we need them anymore.

There were 4 courses that we didn't use in Season 1 or 2, St. Andrews, Royal Birkdale, Spyglass Hill and Atlanta Athletic Club. I'll be sure to work those into the first four events and then I will have to recycle some courses that we have already played.

Let me know if there is anything else you'd like to see. I think it is going pretty well as we have it now. Having the Ryder Cup gives us plenty to do each week and I would imagine we would start up a second Ryder Cup after we finish the first one, probably just shuffle the teams a bit.

My suggestion would be to up the swing difficulty from normal to very hard or expert and change the greens to no beads. I think that would knock the score down considerably because the 20 foot putts wouldn't be made as much. Just my two cents, don't want to start up the whole discussion again about keeping it easier for the masses, I get it, just trying to keep things fresh.
Weasel
Reactions:

Re: Season 3

Post by Weasel »

Im all about upping the swing difficulty, but Im lost with reading greens without beads. Would love a second Rider Cup as well
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

Weasel wrote:Im all about upping the swing difficulty, but Im lost with reading greens without beads. Would love a second Rider Cup as well
Agreed Dr. Lee
Downing11
Reactions:

Post by Downing11 »

Weasel wrote:Im all about upping the swing difficulty, but Im lost with reading greens without beads. Would love a second Rider Cup as well
Everyone is lost with no beads, I think that is what will make it better and more realistic scores. If you stick an approach into inside 5 feet, you will probably make birdie. If not, you will 2 put for par and make an occassional long putt. With no beads, you still get the elevation change so you should be able to get the speed right, the break is really all you have to read.

Again, just my thoughts.
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

Downing11 wrote:My suggestion would be to up the swing difficulty from normal to very hard or expert and change the greens to no beads. I think that would knock the score down considerably because the 20 foot putts wouldn't be made as much. Just my two cents, don't want to start up the whole discussion again about keeping it easier for the masses, I get it, just trying to keep things fresh.
I'll probably sit out the next Ryder Cup, and get back into the season for season 3.

You could always leave the beads on, swing diff on normal, and go with advanced shot shaping. :)

Ok, I know I won't get that. But I'd say with the normal shot shaping or whatever it's on now, definitely expert swing difficulty.

I've never tried no beads and would probably suck without em, but I'm not at all opposed to it.
OracleHCR
Reactions:

Post by OracleHCR »

No beads would be fine with me.
dakshdar
Reactions:

Post by dakshdar »

What happens if we turn off the wind speed indication? I know it still gives you wind direction. Are we supposed to figure out the wind speed by looking at the trees? Maybe we should try that one time?
Weasel
Reactions:

Post by Weasel »

dakshdar wrote:What happens if we turn off the wind speed indication? I know it still gives you wind direction. Are we supposed to figure out the wind speed by looking at the trees? Maybe we should try that one time?
This is the setting I use in career, and really like it. You know the general conditionsggoing into it (calm, breezy, windy) but you get a sense from trees, clothing, and how your ball reacts on the first hole or two.
buckeye76
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by buckeye76 »

i'm down for anything but that swinging at an angle. You do that you'll lose me.....
BsktbllJk
Reactions:

Post by BsktbllJk »

buckeye76 wrote:i'm down for anything but that swinging at an angle. You do that you'll lose me.....

2nd that!!!
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

BsktbllJk wrote:
buckeye76 wrote:i'm down for anything but that swinging at an angle. You do that you'll lose me.....

2nd that!!!
Boooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!
autiger730
Reactions:

Post by autiger730 »

BsktbllJk wrote:

2nd that!!!
Me too.

I would be fine with very hard or expert, leave the green beads on. I think the wind speed off might be an idea to play with though.
PSN & 360: AUTiger730
Weasel
Reactions:

Post by Weasel »

Just played the daily without beads, finished +1. Will take some getting used to but I could see it as a good equalizer with scores
OracleHCR
Reactions:

Post by OracleHCR »

I've played both the daily tournaments the last two days and am fine with either settings although I prefer the no beads on the greens.
autiger730
Reactions:

Post by autiger730 »

What I would do if we are going to play no beads is turn the wind indicator to arrow only and leave swing difficulty alone. Everyone's already used to this swing difficulty and I just think you might set some guys back if you change it up. I think no beads and no wind speed would be enough to get more realistic scores at this point and everyone is on an even playing field and not having to learn a new swing difficulty. Just my opinion.
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

Everyone hits every ball right down the middle 99% of the time, I don't think we need to keep swing difficulty at normal.
Weasel
Reactions:

Post by Weasel »

shel311 wrote:Everyone hits every ball right down the middle 99% of the time, I don't think we need to keep swing difficulty at normal.
Agreed. If you don't have straight lines on your stroke, you shouldn't be hitting fairway. Right now I can have a pretty shitty swing and still be safe
autiger730
Reactions:

Post by autiger730 »

Weasel wrote:
shel311 wrote:Everyone hits every ball right down the middle 99% of the time, I don't think we need to keep swing difficulty at normal.
Agreed. If you don't have straight lines on your stroke, you shouldn't be hitting fairway. Right now I can have a pretty shitty swing and still be safe
Not knowing how fast the wind is blowing and not being able to get an exact read on the green should compensate for that. Without the beads on, using expert or even very hard, would be ridiculous because it is so random with your putter speed.
jsence2
Reactions:

Post by jsence2 »

I don't like the "no wind speed" part, because not all courses have tons of trees (see the British courses, PGA National, etc). It'd be different if we could do something like toss grass up and get a read on it.

No beads on the green is something I've been in favor of for a long time.

S14: N Texas 7-1
S15: Wake 8-5
S16-21: Washington 9-4, 10-3, 8-5, 9-4, 7-6, 6-7
S22: Ohio 8-5
S23: ECU 12-2
S24-26: Kentucky 8-5, 5-7, 5-7
Career: 102-61
Downing11
Reactions:

Post by Downing11 »

I think I'm going with no beads and jacking up swing difficulty to very hard, but leaving the wind the same as we have now.

Return to “Golf”