nick wrote:say goodbye to trading
maybe true...

I may change my vote after reading the comments
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Re: Scouting Accuracy Poll

Post by GeorgesGoons »

I don't think so. I think I'd trade more. Gets old when I am looking for a roster filler (45-50 rated guy) and the person you are trading with asks for a 75 rated prospect. And the same goes when I think I am asking for a borderline guy and the other owner says he is a 70+ rated guy.

Get these difference narrowed down slightly and I think there would be more trades.

And one of my biggest peeves is the draft. My scout shouldn't see a 5 rated power when another sees the guy as a 80 rated power guy. C'mon now, it's not hard to see if a guy can hit a HR.
ImageImageImage
Uuaww
Reactions:

Post by Uuaww »

Yup, most guys think every prospect will hit now.... Will be even worse then. Who would trade a legit prospect if you know he's gonna be elite in 5 years?
wdoupis
Reactions:

Post by wdoupis »

Some good discussion here, still 14 votes missing. Please vote if you have not already
The_Niddler
Reactions:

Post by The_Niddler »

TheGobOne wrote:
The_Niddler wrote:I love corey's response.
I want to say move it to high, but before you do, what settings (numbers) do we have for:

Ratings
Current Year
Last Year
2 Years Ago

I ask because on Normal, guys are recommending you use these numbers/settings:
Ratings (50) = Expectation/perception
Current Year (30) = performance which keeps players who are playing better higher up in the lineup and rotation.
Last Year (15) = a back up measure to reaffirm (or not) ability and performance, but not to an extent where the results will be too screwy. Think of this as a "tie breaker"
2 Years ago (5) = almost nothing. It is only here to throw a bone to players who have had a statistical anomaly one year, or for players who have either progressed or regressed since then.
I think this is for determining current ratings no?

And as a side note I always play on 40/30/20/10 (which is pretty close to this) and I'm happy with it.
I thought the same thing, but some are saying this has an impact on the scouting accuracy.
Just another thing that OOTP has randomness built into and cannot tell exactly what makes it up.
PSN: The_Niddler
TWITCH: The_Niddler
The_Niddler
Reactions:

Post by The_Niddler »

GeorgesGoons wrote:
I don't think so. I think I'd trade more. Gets old when I am looking for a roster filler (45-50 rated guy) and the person you are trading with asks for a 75 rated prospect. And the same goes when I think I am asking for a borderline guy and the other owner says he is a 70+ rated guy.

Get these difference narrowed down slightly and I think there would be more trades.

And one of my biggest peeves is the draft. My scout shouldn't see a 5 rated power when another sees the guy as a 80 rated power guy. C'mon now, it's not hard to see if a guy can hit a HR.

I read what George wrote and initially thought the same thing.
Trading should get easier if guys see ratings a little closer aligned.

But then I read what Ted wrote:

Uuaww wrote:
Yup, most guys think every prospect will hit now.... Will be even worse then. Who would trade a legit prospect if you know he's gonna be elite in 5 years?
And I can completely understand your point.
If we all saw guys the same way, it may make trading harder because why would teams trade a guy if they know he is gonna be elite?
I get that sometimes team needs will dictate a trade still happening, but in the grand scheme, it may make it harder to trade.

I have not voted yet, but I think I am going to vote to keep it as is after all the discussion.

Billy,
Take the ndl.lg and create a copy and make the change to high and sim a season, then look at the players as different teams and compare to our settings now and see how this would impact things.
We may be discussing something that barely makes a difference.
But knowing OOTP, it will be over the top and everyone will then see guys damn near the same.
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

May be wrong and I am not going back to look at it. But it seemed like we had more trades "back in the day" when we were all complaining that the scouts were too similar (2020's-2030's). But that also could be most of us were pretty new and enjoyed tinkering with the team
ImageImageImage
Roggie
Reactions:

Post by Roggie »

GeorgesGoons wrote:

This. The amount of times I either asked for a guy or was asked about a guy and the response was totally different due to scouting. Like I've said, I get variances, but high end prospects are too different at the top.

And for the guy comparing real life drafting RESULTS to this, totally different thing. Most scouts would have said the top 5 or top 10 picks were guys who should have gone there and just didn't develop. Prospects dying/not developing is a totally different discussion than scouting, because top 5 picks are pretty universal in their high end grading by scouts. I bet if you asked scouts for their draft scouting reports, none of those guys in the top 10 would have been given 25 or 30 overall grades like we get.
Roggie
Reactions:

Post by Roggie »

Uuaww wrote:
It won't change too much with that, though. Scouting setting has zero correlation with talent randomness and prospects gaining potential or regressing in it. Just means the range on a prospect should only be 40-60 instead of 35-65.
plasma1896
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by plasma1896 »

i voted to leave it the same. the difference in scouting is good. one mans floor is another mans ceiling. you look at your scouts recommendation, but you need to look at the numbers as well in college/high school. for example, my scout on cuevas is doing exactly what he predicted. he was going to be a monster. another example is this kid drafted this season by Chicago jose trevino

https://statsplus.net/ndl/reports/news/ ... 30528.html

he didnt even make my top 140 players and he went 12th overall. well you look at his high school stats and he batted .201 in 3 years. Cincy owner and myself put him on the to watch list to see if our guys who was right and wrong.

the information is out there, guys just need to do some homework on the stuff. making everybodys scout all see the same thing takes the fun out of this and rewards guys who dont put the time in and enjoy the depths of this game. there are layers and layers of stuff to look at in this game. its kinda like youtiube, u want to see a video and 4 hours later your watching videos on underwater basket weaving.

the one thing that is annoying in the game is when a scout decides to retire or quit. its like starting a whole new game over. its happen a few times and he might not like guys your previous guy liked.

The_Niddler
Reactions:

Post by The_Niddler »

With all of this discussion, someone said it already and Billy has complained about it for years, I get that not all scouts will see a guy the same, but how the hell does 1 see a guy with 75 HR potential and another sees him with 5?
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

The_Niddler wrote:With all of this discussion, someone said it already and Billy has complained about it for years, I get that not all scouts will see a guy the same, but how the hell does 1 see a guy with 75 HR potential and another sees him with 5?
This is the biggest flaw in scouting. I could look at a kids swing in high school and know whether he will be power hitter or not. And I'm not a scout with years of training.
ImageImageImage
plasma1896
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by plasma1896 »

The_Niddler wrote:With all of this discussion, someone said it already and Billy has complained about it for years, I get that not all scouts will see a guy the same, but how the hell does 1 see a guy with 75 HR potential and another sees him with 5?

you think it might have to do with scouting budgets in how much is spent on them?
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

plasma1896 wrote:

you think it might have to do with scouting budgets in how much is spent on them?
I don't.
ImageImageImage
Hammerin' Hank
Reactions:

Post by Hammerin' Hank »

This is so stupid.....
nick
Reactions:

Post by nick »

this is actually happening . gif
The_Niddler
Reactions:

Post by The_Niddler »

GeorgesGoons wrote:
plasma1896 wrote:

I don't.
No, but this is why I asked Billy about the current settings I asked about.
Some guys, say that it does impact it.
This is why I asked if Billy wants to take the league, make a copy and make the changes and sim a season.
See what impact it has instead of us guessing.
nick
Reactions:

Post by nick »

i read recently that you should put your scouting $$ to the max (12 mil) if u want more accurate scouting. I was planning on doing that this offseason but apparently we're going to baby's first scouting mode anyways so fuck it
The_Niddler
Reactions:

Post by The_Niddler »

I voted for the current setting until we know what the impact would be.

Return to “Winter Meetings”