Billy D's 2061 HOF Forecast

Out of the Park Baseball League

Moderators: TheGobOne, Cnasty, Ry, nick

wdoupis
Reactions:

Billy D's 2061 HOF Forecast

Post by wdoupis »

The Slam Dunks

SS John O'Connor:You guys fucked this one up last year, lets fix that mistake this year fellas. Probably more famous for the O'Connor curse but he was an elite player rand SS on many title level teams and did it for a long time. Career .314 hitter, was a terror on the base paths with 1342 stolen bases, scored 1514 runs, and put up 78.7 war. I do not care if he was a 1 time all-star, the AL was impossible to get in with Richard Todd getting the spot every year. He was also a great shortstop defensively

A Very Strong Case

SP Wes Nelson: I think he falls just short of the HOF but still had one hell of a career. He spent much of his career in Las Vegas which hurt his name recognition playing in one of our quieter markets. He still won 202 games and had a career whip of 1.15. The guy rarely walked anyone and racked up almost 3100 career strikeouts. He put together 11 seasons with an era in the 3s and 2 seasons in the 2s.

SP Bill O'Connor: I think he and Nelson will get a lot of love like Crafty for you SP war lovers but O'Connor falls short as well. He was a good SP but you get in the HOF by being great. Bill still had a damn good career winning 217 games with an era of 3.80. He had 12 seasons with an era in the 3s and 1 season with a sub 3 era. Just not enough to get in the hall.

3B Mal Grady: This one may be controversial but I think Lurch comes up short as well. He came out of the gates on fire and looked like he would be an all time great but his career was derailed just as it should have been in its prime. He ended up with 69.5 war but only 1 season of 5 war and 1 season of 4 war after his age 27 season. It's a shame and a big what could have been but I have him off my ballot. He still put up a slash of .293/.359/.432 and played excellent defense at 3B.

CL Jose Morales: I know many will disagree with him being this high but he is the greatest closer in our history. 766 career saves, a career whip of 1.08 and struck out 2180 guys while putting up 36 war as a reliever. I do not love relievers in HOF but for some you make exceptions and Morales is the exception for me.

OF Juan Gamboa: The guy was incredibly fun for a few seasons but ultimately did not have the long career needed to be HOF worthy and began to flame out after his initial big time success. Fell just 2 HRs short of 400 while coming in to the league older though and was one of the great power threats we have had. He got close but probably needed a few more big time seasons to get in the hall.

OF Ken Foster: I know guys will see 40 war and not pay attention but that is not everything. He was a liability in the field but may have been the best leadoff hitter in the league for a decade. A career .340 hitter who could hit LH and RH pitching at a high level. Was a huge menace on the bases stealing 450 for his career. If he could field at an average level probably a 65-75 war guy. I am leaning towards giving Foster my vote.

We can talk about him, he may get there, but he has work to do

SS Kyle Bryant: Stop yelling at me Riccio, this is the section he belongs in. He was a very good player for a long time but not HOF special. Career .295/.337/.404 and a career war 55.4 war. He played good D at SS in his heyday and a good leader for the Spitters squad.

2B Sergio Garcia: Could have been truly special if he was on a team that actually had an owner during his prime. Career .289/.374/.414 with 152 HRs. He was truly elite defensively in his prime but he had a severe drop off after his age 26 season and never really got back to an all-NDL level. I assume he will get more votes than his ranking here because his career war of 65.6 but I do not see a HOF resume here but a very good player.

2B Joe Burgess: He was a very high level player and perhaps a little more longevity or being on a different team in his prime could have gotten him to the next level but he falls short. He was a damn good hitting 2B and one of the premier guys at his position. Career slash of .293/.354/.480 and hit 308 HRs from the 2B position. Career was of 54 as he was not a great defender. Hell of a career for Burgess but not quite HOF caliber.

SP Alfonso Torres: He was an ace, there is no doubt about that but he walked away too early. A couple of rough years in Lincoln is the only blip in his career. Ended his career with an era of 3.20 and even more impressive whip of 1.07. He was a big time LH starter and if he could have kept going a few more seasons had a decent shot at the hall.
wdoupis
Reactions:

Re: Billy D's 2061 HOF Forecast

Post by wdoupis »

Man, this is one weak HOF class. My ballot:

John O'Connor
Ken Foster
Jose Morales
Graywolf357
Reactions:

Post by Graywolf357 »

wdoupis wrote:Man, this is one weak HOF class. My ballot:

John O'Connor
Ken Foster
Jose Morales
Very weak. Soft spot for wes nelson one of the first pitchers i signed when i joined.
The_Niddler
Reactions:

Post by The_Niddler »

wdoupis wrote:Man, this is one weak HOF class. My ballot:

John O'Connor
Ken Foster
Jose Morales

This plus Wes Nelson, maybe. Still debating.

Should I vote for Crafty too?
PSN: The_Niddler
TWITCH: The_Niddler
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

The_Niddler wrote:Should I vote for Crafty too?
Of course. Don't let Billy's terrible breakdown sway you. :)
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

John O'Connor making only 1 All Star game in his career is completely shocking to me.
Wasted Memory
Reactions:

Post by Wasted Memory »

O'Connor
Morales
McGee
wdoupis
Reactions:

Post by wdoupis »

shel311 wrote:John O'Connor making only 1 All Star game in his career is completely shocking to me.
I used to talk about that all the time while it was happening but Richard Todd and David Hewitt would always take the spots and he would get left out. I may even be missing another stud SS that got in his way
plasma1896
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by plasma1896 »

remember this face when voting.

wdoupis
Reactions:

Post by wdoupis »

Don't let Crafty become our Harold Baines!!!!! A good player who did it for a long time but was not remotely close to great
DRiccio21
Reactions:

Post by DRiccio21 »

Kyle Bryant still hanging around for a reason! Voters recognize his heart
wdoupis
Reactions:

Post by wdoupis »

DRiccio21 wrote:Kyle Bryant still hanging around for a reason! Voters recognize his heart
Or it could be that we only get around 18-19 votes per year and your one vote is enough to keep him on the ballot. Nah, its probably his heart
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

wdoupis wrote:Don't let Crafty become our Harold Baines!!!!! A good player who did it for a long time but was not remotely close to great
Back to back Cy Young Awards...
DRWebs
Reactions:

Post by DRWebs »

In a 20 year career... No matter how many innings you can throw, a 4.00 ERA/FIP pitcher will never be HOF worthy
DRWebs
Reactions:

Post by DRWebs »

wdoupis wrote:
shel311 wrote:John O'Connor making only 1 All Star game in his career is completely shocking to me.
I used to talk about that all the time while it was happening but Richard Todd and David Hewitt would always take the spots and he would get left out. I may even be missing another stud SS that got in his way
Surprising that he wouldn't get selected as a reserve... Stupid AI!
wdoupis
Reactions:

Post by wdoupis »

DRWebs wrote:In a 20 year career... No matter how many innings you can throw, a 4.00 ERA/FIP pitcher will never be HOF worthy
Exactly. Is Jake Arreitta a HOF because he was the best pitcher in baseball for 2 seasons
nick
Reactions:

Post by nick »

McGee is basically Justin Verlander. he was close on the other 2 stats as well.
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

nick wrote:imagine winning 2 cy youngs in the real world and not making the HOF ... woof. some of you need your voting permissions revoked.
Bret Saberhagen thinks the same thing
ImageImageImage
wdoupis
Reactions:

Post by wdoupis »

shel311 wrote:
wdoupis wrote:Don't let Crafty become our Harold Baines!!!!! A good player who did it for a long time but was not remotely close to great
Back to back Cy Young Awards...
The guy had an era over 4 in 14 of his seasons and over 5 in 3 of those :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just because he can throw a ton of innings does not make him a HOFer. Even in his Cy Young years he numbers are some of the worst we have seen for a Cy winner.
qazhby
Reactions:

Post by qazhby »

Sammy Bailey tho def a HOF caliber guy

Return to “Old OOTP Baseball”