New dad poll

Share tips, idea, health and fun idea for the kids of the NDL.
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

New dad poll

Post by Cnasty »

So going on day 4 of being a dad, things are going great.

Sure I'm sleep deprived but that was expected. Most frustrating thing is not knowing why he is crying.

Not wet diaper, just been fed, and he isn't sleepy. It's been a learning curve

So I come to the dads of the NDL for their tricks that work.

Swaddling has been a major go to move which is nice, thanks aj.

Any other tips for soothing?

How many of the wives did strictly breast feeding?

Did you develop any kind of set schedule? Like wake them up at certain blocks?

I was looking for that one thread buckeye made when he had a newborn but couldn't find it :cry:
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Re: New dad poll

Post by shel311 »

Cnasty wrote:Swaddling has been a major go to move which is nice, thanks aj.
This tip wasn't given to you by the nurses? :lol:
brwnbear
Reactions:

Post by brwnbear »

Use shifts. Wife went to bed at 9 PM and slept till around 3-4 AM. I went to bed at 1 AM gave them a last minute feeding and slept until 7 AM. It will all be over in about 6 months.
IM: brwnbear26
bigred
Reactions:

Post by bigred »

Our 1st week was a nightmare

Wife was breast feeding but wasn't producing enough milk

Basically starving zo but didn't realize it , lol

Try to establish a good sleep routine. Zo has slept 10-12 hours through the night since she was 2 months old. She goes to bed around 830 and sleeps till at 8 in the morning, it's nice
cougnix
Reactions:

Post by cougnix »

My trick was to be a heavy sleeper. Never woke up, probably could count on one hand how many times I woke up in the middle of the night. Not by choice, but my wife said she would seriously punch me and I wouldn't wake up. So, my wife did it all!

Daytime was just rocking chair, taking walks, and our boys always fell asleep riding in a car...
ImageImage

PSN: Cougnix
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

bigred wrote:Our 1st week was a nightmare

Wife was breast feeding but wasn't producing enough milk

Basically starving zo but didn't realize it , lol

Try to establish a good sleep routine. Zo has slept 10-12 hours through the night since she was 2 months old. She goes to bed around 830 and sleeps till at 8 in the morning, it's nice
Tell me more about this.

I feel helpless at times as he is breast feeding and we can't pump or give him a bottle yet so we aren't sure he is wait g as much as he should. Went to the doc and it's normal to have then lose weight the first 2 weeks but she isn't producing milk as fast.

What did you guys do? Go to formula to supplement?

I'm up in the middle of the night but can't really do much since he needs to latch on.

I think it's cool to hear this stuff from guys and fathers rather than nurses and other moms :lol:
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Post by ReignOnU »

:::reading and absorbing info:::
8-)
PSN: ReignOnU
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

Cnasty wrote:we can't pump or give him a bottle yet
Why not?
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

She's not supposed to pump until her milk comes in or something and it's not fully in so pumping is worthless at this point. Hopefully in a day or 2 it comes in and that will make things so much easier.

Also we need to be better at catching him before he wakes up to feed as its always to late when he is crying and pissed off.

Having mom in town has been a HUGE help this first week though
steelcitychaos
Reactions:

Post by steelcitychaos »

Cnasty wrote:
Tell me more about this.

I feel helpless at times as he is breast feeding and we can't pump or give him a bottle yet so we aren't sure he is wait g as much as he should. Went to the doc and it's normal to have then lose weight the first 2 weeks but she isn't producing milk as fast.

What did you guys do? Go to formula to supplement?
I remember the helpless feeling, I felt bad for my wife she was exhausted and wasnt producing enough, the docters kept telling her to drink a lot of water and get rest , but the kid has his own agenda and wasn't willing to cut mom a break. Our dr. said we could give the formula when the wife didnt have the energy or we could mix it with her breast milk. I remember thinking and realizing with our first child that my wife had a 9-10 month head start getting to know the baby and the natural bond. But when the baby was calm I tried to spend as much time to hold him to get him used to me and to be able to give the wife a break. He Slowly be
gan to allow me to take care/calm him when he was upset.

Remember the following
every kid/parents are differant and not everything is a universal cure all, if there was then there would be only 1 book on any bookstore shelf on how to raise a child.
It's ok to do trial and error, the kid had it made now he is in the real world and all the chaos so he is adjusting just as much as you two.
ITs natural to feel helpless at times, but while you and the wife are trying to figure out all of his needs, dont get so involved that you dont stop and enjoy it. Yes even when he is crying:
buckeye76
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by buckeye76 »

shel311 wrote:
Cnasty wrote:Swaddling has been a major go to move which is nice, thanks aj.
This tip wasn't given to you by the nurses? :lol:
Ours didnt like being swaddled at all. But if you remember the first few months were a nightmare for us looking back. I made a thread about it.....viewtopic.php?f=117&t=18067

It is hard when they are crying and you've tried everything. (no wet diaper, just feed....etc) We didnt have a set schedule for awhile because Maddie wouldnt sleep in the bassinet, only thing that worked was the swing....In the middle of the night my wife would get up and breast feed. I know the first week or so I was asking my wife about the breast feeding and if she thought it was working. (I pm'd you about that) Im not sure when my wife was able to start pumping. I know that helped.

After a couple of months where she was waking up crying even after being feed, or spitting up even though you did everything right, my wife read something about her diet and dairy products while breast feeding (causing the baby to have belly aches...etc, I 'll be honest I thought she was full of crap). Well she cut all dairy products out of her diet, and that helped, Maddie started to sleep only waking up once a night for a feeding. (I want to say it was around the 3 month mark) And then it seemed like we fell into a nice schedule.

Keep asking questions, I know the NDL helped me out alot and my twin sister was a big help too.
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

Appreciate the feedback.

We have found some positions in which he loves to be held and some he hates. We also are trying to sleep when he does as some say but you know that doesnt generally work.

I think once we are able to get some milk stored up and both be able to feed, the shifts will be a huge plus for us.

Now I understand why people say dont give up on breastfeeding and dont get frustrated and quit. :lol:
swellvermin
Reactions:

Post by swellvermin »

oh my fuck.

this is going to be a horrendous 2013 for myself.....lol
autiger730
Reactions:

Post by autiger730 »

One tip I can give you, If you know they aren't hungry and know the diaper isn't dirty, let them cry. They just want to be held, break them of this early, that is the key to getting them to sleep though the night and not having a screaming kid every second someone isn't holding them. Your wife will be a major obstacle to this. She will be the one that wants to run get him/her up every whimper.
PSN & 360: AUTiger730
buckeye76
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by buckeye76 »

autiger730 wrote:One tip I can give you, If you know they aren't hungry and know the diaper isn't dirty, let them cry. They just want to be held, break them of this early, that is the key to getting them to sleep though the night and not having a screaming kid every second someone isn't holding them. Your wife will be a major obstacle to this. She will be the one that wants to run get him/her up every whimper.
:lol: You know whats funny is I was the one that had to be broken of this not my wife.
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

Last night was the best night yet.

Woke every 2 hours, changed his diaper, he ate, and then right back to sleep. Actually got some rest which was nice. That first uninterrupted 2 hours scares the shit out of you because you wake up wondering if he is ok.

You guys have a diaper preference? Seems when he goes, he goooooooooes and he soaks his clothes, the diaper, everything.

Hopefully last night was a turn of the corner.
ajalves
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by ajalves »

most import thing is staying consitent with whatever routine you choose. if not, you'll almost literally go insane :oops:
Nole4real
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Nole4real »

shifts like someone said

mybiggest problem was when it was her turn, i'd still lay there half awake listening in instead of going back to sleep

it caught up with me and i learned pretty quick that when its her turn, its her turn

one more thing.....turn up that damn a/c :)
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

Nole4real wrote:it caught up with me and i learned pretty quick that when its her turn, its her turn

one more thing.....turn up that damn a/c :)
These 2 things have been tough for me.

I have made it a little warmer in JackFrostland and its been tough on me.Also I cant go back to sleep if its her turn and I hear him screaming. Will have to tell her to leave the room or something. :lol:
ajalves
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by ajalves »

ear plugs....and i am not kidding

they make these sponge ones that are fantastic

Return to “Kids Corner”