Question about playcalling

League rules, pertinent Links, and league announcements can be found here.
SuperJakeB
Reactions:

Question about playcalling

Post by SuperJakeB »

I have played a few games and received comments about a certain scheme I am running with UAB. I use Ok state's playbook.

I run my offense out of the pistol, predominately out of the spread and spread flex alignments. On a lot of the plays out of these formations the single back motions into the flat as the ball is snapped. (mind you this is EA green motion, not manual user controlled motion) Here are the links to those two particular playbooks.

http://playbooks2012.com/formations.php?id=117&team=77
http://playbooks2012.com/formations.php?id=118&team=77

I have received a few feedback comments about this particular thing, but I feel as if they are not understanding what is happening. I throw roughly 25-35 times a game and my RB ends up with 3-6 catches at the most. However I know when the passes do go wide to the running back I feel as if they are considering it cheese.

I guess my question here is, should I just change playbooks entirely? I don't want to make people mad over something as trivial as this. Maybe warn people before we play that motion happens out of the backfield with this particular playbook? I am new to this league so I don't want to rub people the wrong way with something I don't consider to be unfair or cheese.
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Re: Question about playcalling

Post by shel311 »

Moderation is key.
kdog36
Reactions:

Post by kdog36 »

gonna keep this short and sweet:

I struggle with this alot and have in the past.

run your offense .......... moderation is key.................EA sucks and screws it up for a lot of us wanting to run realistice type offenses.

ur fine
BFiVL
Reactions:

Post by BFiVL »

What shel said. Moderation. IMO for what it's worth, if you are throwing to a man in the flat as soon as you hike the ball I feel there is some AI flaws in this game and in games past where it takes way to long for the defender to get coverage over there
Uuaww
Reactions:

Post by Uuaww »

BFiVL wrote:What shel said. Moderation. IMO for what it's worth, if you are throwing to a man in the flat as soon as you hike the ball I feel there is some AI flaws in this game and in games past where it takes way to long for the defender to get coverage over there
I need to turn off avatars because shel without LSU, and other bullshit just screws me up.

back on that. Jake, if you think the play is a "money" play that you see yourself going to when you're in trouble, you may be abusing it, moderation is key.
dakshdar
Reactions:

Post by dakshdar »

I would just make sure they know that the motion into the flat is per the play. People shouldn't have a problem then. They may just be thinking you're motioning guys a lot to get advantages.
DRiccio21
Reactions:

Post by DRiccio21 »

if you're running the same play multiple times, guys are going to have issues.

moderation is the most important thing you can know about this league.
SuperJakeB
Reactions:

Post by SuperJakeB »

Truthfully the threat of the running back in the flat is more viable than actually throwing the pass. That is why I really like that pistol formation. It really is just a glorified 5 wide with a running back that can stay in and block or run.
kdog36
Reactions:

Post by kdog36 »

dakshdar wrote:I would just make sure they know that the motion into the flat is per the play. People shouldn't have a problem then. They may just be thinking you're motioning guys a lot to get advantages.

unless your opp. is highlighting a guys everytime you can tell if it is a forced motion by watching the opp. pick the player just before he goes into motion.

correct?
UclaMac
Reactions:

Post by UclaMac »

Being that this is my third season here im still feel new compared to some of the veterans in this great league, but yeah just try to avoid money plays and listen to what guys say after the game. But I will say this also sometimes there are guys in this league that think theyre the elite players and when a new coach that has some skill comes in and beats them they will call you cheese or whatever. The trick is listen and try to adapt, but if your playing by the rules amd not breaking them, then stick to your guns and play your game.

There is a fine line of listening to a fellow coach, but also knowing that some guys are not very good sports whether they win or lose.
CrimsonBassn78
Reactions:

Post by CrimsonBassn78 »

UclaMac wrote:

There is a fine line of listening to a fellow coach, but also knowing that some guys are not very good sports whether they win or lose.
1+
DRiccio21
Reactions:

Post by DRiccio21 »

85% of the guys here are 'good sports'.

if you're getting complaints on your gameplay by multiple coaches there is a 99% chance you should be adjusting your style if you are in the league for the right reasons.
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Post by ReignOnU »

DRiccio21 wrote:85% of the guys here are 'good sports'.

if you're getting complaints on your gameplay by multiple coaches there is a 99% chance you should be adjusting your style if you are in the league for the right reasons.
+1
PSN: ReignOnU
razorback44
Reactions:

Post by razorback44 »

Are you highlighting the motion man to try and hide the auto motion?
AIM: lazydayz446
PSN: lazydayz44

WJ5811
Reactions:

Post by WJ5811 »

ReignOnU wrote:

+1

Especially if multiple guys are saying the same thing about your gameplay. I had a friend from work said to me the other day "Im getting ready to get my 3rd divorce maybe marriage isnt for me". I said to him "no shit 3 marriages and 3 divorces. Whats the common denominator here...its you"! If one guy complains about one thing and another guy complains about something else then maybe those guys just complain because they lose. But if several guys say the same thing like hey this coach just runs the ball outside all game, or throws posts all game then thats more than one guy seeing the same thing and it should make you look at it as something you should cut back on.
PSN: WJ5811
AIM: WJ5811
JUSTIN TV USER: WJ5811
UclaMac
Reactions:

Post by UclaMac »

WJ5811 wrote:
ReignOnU wrote:

+1

Especially if multiple guys are saying the same thing about your gameplay. I had a friend from work said to me the other day "Im getting ready to get my 3rd divorce maybe marriage isnt for me". I said to him "no shit 3 marriages and 3 divorces. Whats the common denominator here...its you"! If one guy complains about one thing and another guy complains about something else then maybe those guys just complain because they lose. But if several guys say the same thing like hey this coach just runs the ball outside all game, or throws posts all game then thats more than one guy seeing the same thing and it should make you look at it as something you should cut back on.

Just playing devils advocate here, but if someone runs to the outside all game long or throws posts all game long and thats all theyre doing, wouldnt that make it easier to cover?
SuperJakeB
Reactions:

Post by SuperJakeB »

I think this is kind of going off-topic from what I was asking initially. I just think the few coaches that commented on it didn't know that the motion was EA initiated and not manually controlled. I do however think i will just go with the initial advice from Shel and just use it less.

Also the coaches who commented on the motion didn't really do it in a negative way just little things like "you know you can't have a player in motion when you snap the ball" ect. I don't think they thought I was abusing it, but again who knows I can't get inside other peoples heads. I was just asking for a general consensus,I have UAB I would like to get positive reports so I can get a team of my liking at some point. :)
BFiVL
Reactions:

Post by BFiVL »

UclaMac wrote:
WJ5811 wrote:
ReignOnU wrote:

+1

Just playing devils advocate here, but if someone runs to the outside all game long or throws posts all game long and thats all theyre doing, wouldnt that make it easier to cover?
In real life, yes, sometimes in video games ,no.
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

UclaMac wrote:Just playing devils advocate here, but if someone runs to the outside all game long or throws posts all game long and thats all theyre doing, wouldnt that make it easier to cover?
In theory, yes.

And for the most part on this game, yes it would.

But that isn't the point at all.

If I ran the same offensive play every snap of every game for an entire season, it'd b probably be pretty easy to stop and I probably wouldn't do so well. That doesn't mean my gameplay is fine and dandy.
DRiccio21
Reactions:

Post by DRiccio21 »

SuperJakeB wrote: Also the coaches who commented on the motion didn't really do it in a negative way just little things like "you know you can't have a player in motion when you snap the ball" ect. I don't think they thought I was abusing it, but again who knows I can't get inside other peoples heads. I was just asking for a general consensus,I have UAB I would like to get positive reports so I can get a team of my liking at some point. :)
most guys like to use subtle suggestions, like that, as non-combative ways to say 'stop being a fucking a cheeser'.

Return to “NCAA Dynasty League Information”