think there's been a thread abt this b4 but...

Come one, come all. Talk about anything not league or video game football related here.
TheRealDray
Reactions:

think there's been a thread abt this b4 but...

Post by TheRealDray »

what are thoughts on comparing Apple & PC? My cpu just went out again(desktop) and I swear I'm not even hitting the "good" sites, but this is after having just replaced the harddrive.

Keep hearing how Apple/Macs dont get viruses and/or popups etc. Seems the Apple stuff works much better w/graphics and media type stuff-would that include audio and podcasting type programs?

Just wondering about compatibility things and not having high selection of software/hardware. I know it used to be go to stores and see like 5 aisles of pc software and half a shelf for Mac software. Guessing things have gotten much more similar, but thats why Im asking. Never really had much to do w/Apple products but the wife has been using IPODS for her classroom and really like those.

Appreciate the help.
huskerskev84
Reactions:

Re: think there's been a thread abt this b4 but...

Post by huskerskev84 »

I don't have any technical insight, but my wife does Graphic Design so has been regularly using Macintosh for over 10 years. We got 2 laptops new and one desktop in that timespan. The desktop was an IMac Cube and it still works....her first laptop is usable, but wear and tear took a toll on it before it crashed (screen won't stay up right anymore....been dropped one too many times) and just recently got a new laptop and it's unbelievable. Oddly enough we do rarely get pop ups all of a sudden, but they are few and far between. We use very little outside software so compatibility hasn't ever been an issue. Now that we have Microsoft Office, we have all we need.

Just wanted to add I have had 3 PC's in this same timespan and have had multiple people with laptops that have gone out in the same period we have had ours. Granted, they bought lower end models which may have had as much to do with that then anything.
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

This thread just made me realize I haven't seen a Trendon post in a long ass time. :lol:
Matt90210
Reactions:

Post by Matt90210 »

PC desktop

Mac laptop

Win.

EDIT: What are you looking for exactly? Desktop or laptop? What are you going to use it for? Is money an issue?

There are advantages to both, some of which is just personal taste. Compatibility wise you won't have an issue. Ever since Apple moved to Intel processors, compatibility hasn't been an issue. Stuff like MS Office works just fine. If you want to play games that are only on Windows you'll have to use Boot Camp to install Windows but Apple makes it a very simple process with the aforementioned Boot Camp program which comes installed on every single Mac.

If you have no need for a laptop just build a PC as it'll save you a ton of money and I personally don't care for iMacs.

However, if you're going to get a laptop or want something desktop-stationary with the portability of a laptop, get a Macbook Pro. Unfortunately Windows laptops just haven't reached the quality of a Macbook. The Macbook Air's are due to be refreshed next month with the new sandy bridge processors and they are absolutely incredible in the aspect of price, portability and performance. If you want some more beef under the hood, the 15" Macbook Pro's can function as a desktop replacement with top notch performance, great battery life and excellent performance.

Apple is also releasing Lion (their new operating system) next month but don't let it keep you from buying now as any Mac purchased within the last month or so gets Lion for free.

I would stay away from the 13" Macbook Pro. The resolution makes me wanna kick Apple in the nuts.
The_Niddler
Reactions:

Post by The_Niddler »

Matt90210 wrote:PC desktop

Mac laptop

Win.
I could not have said it better myself.
And I agree with everything you posted too.

One advantage with MAC is much less of an issue with viruses for now.
I am sure as Apple's popularity continues to grow that hackers will start to work on attacking Apple and MAC stuff more in the future, but for now, you really do not need an internet security program installed on a MAC.

I live in a mixed household.

I have a Windows 7 desktop and I love it.
I have an older Acer Ferrari 4000 laptop that I put Windows 7 on and again, I love it.
I bought a Macbook for my wife when she was in college and I like it a lot for what your basic, everyday stuff. She did not need a graphic intense laptop.

So I really do like both products.
PSN: The_Niddler
TWITCH: The_Niddler

Return to “Off Topic Forum”