Fortnite Battle Royale

This is the place for all Shooting games played in the NDL.
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Re: Fortnite Battle Royale

Post by shel311 »

Yea, based on what I saw watching them play yesterday, seems pretty harmless.

We also don't have headsets, so they won't be able to hear anyone. I'll have to monitor it for a bit and be with them when the play, but unless I'm missing something(which is possible since I didn't even know it was free lol) I don't see the harm in my 7 year olds playing it.

Is there a type/chat function that displays on the screen? And if so, can you turn it off?
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

Found this but really don't know enough about the game or site to know if its truly a good resource.

Biffy has kids and is a teacher and will provide the best feedback I would like to think. :)

https://www.commonsensemedia.org/game-reviews/fortnite
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

Nice, pretty cool site. I think my question above your post will be the ultimate answer. With no headsets, if I can disable chats from showing on screen(Maybe they don't even have that, no idea) I wouldn't see much of a reason for my boys not to play it.

Some of these ratings are so out of whack. Minecraft is 10+, and I've yet to figure out why.
The_Niddler
Reactions:

Post by The_Niddler »

Yeah, a teacher at my local Jr. High has her 5 and 7 year old grand daughter and grand son playing Minecraft. No clue why that is 10+.
PSN: The_Niddler
TWITCH: The_Niddler
BFiVL
Reactions:

Post by BFiVL »

shel311 wrote:Nice, pretty cool site. I think my question above your post will be the ultimate answer. With no headsets, if I can disable chats from showing on screen(Maybe they don't even have that, no idea) I wouldn't see much of a reason for my boys not to play it.

Some of these ratings are so out of whack. Minecraft is 10+, and I've yet to figure out why.

My 11 and 8 year old play it. I monitor who they play with and who is on their friends list. Just typical parent stuff. The main mode has solo, duo and squad( teams of 4). Tell em to play solo only and you’ll have no issue with some 42 year old AJ calling them a fuck stick through the TV. Really good father son stuff since we all play it and can talk shop. Nothing vulgar with the game itself, no blood, nudity etc. just a fun try and outlive 100 other people game.
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

BFiVL wrote:8 year old play it.
Sweet
BFiVL wrote:The main mode has solo, duo and squad( teams of 4). Tell em to play solo only
So to confirm, on solo, no one else would be able to chat with them in text chat form?

Also, I have 2 Xbox accounts so they can do some stuff together, would they be able to do a duo mode but with each other on a team?
BFiVL
Reactions:

Post by BFiVL »

shel311 wrote:Yea, based on what I saw watching them play yesterday, seems pretty harmless.

We also don't have headsets, so they won't be able to hear anyone. I'll have to monitor it for a bit and be with them when the play, but unless I'm missing something(which is possible since I didn't even know it was free lol) I don't see the harm in my 7 year olds playing it.

Is there a type/chat function that displays on the screen? And if so, can you turn it off?

Through the game itself no text but can send messages to username. Chat as far as I know you would have to mute teammates before every game which is a pain. Like I said if they play solo only then there will be no voice chat at all. Duo or squad you can hear teammates.
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

Splatoon is like the gateway drug and this is next on their way to the CODs of the world huh?
BFiVL
Reactions:

Post by BFiVL »

shel311 wrote:
BFiVL wrote:8 year old play it.
Sweet
BFiVL wrote:The main mode has solo, duo and squad( teams of 4). Tell em to play solo only
So to confirm, on solo, no one else would be able to chat with them in text chat form?

Also, I have 2 Xbox accounts so they can do some stuff together, would they be able to do a duo mode but with each other on a team?
You got two Xbox? No split screen. So it would have to be two separate accounts and 2 separate downloads of the game. I play on my PS4 but can’t play with my kids since there is no cross platform. I usually hang out in their room for a bit. Keep door open and ask who they are playing with. They have a headset and char with friends. They immediately mute if playing with randoms.
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

BFiVL wrote:Through the game itself no text but can send messages to username
Yea, I get that from Roblox, so my boys don't even know how to check messages...I think :lol:

But usually daily I go through their messages to make sure there's no messages or nothing crazy. They get one here and there but it seems to be from other really young kids and always been innocent...so far.
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

BFiVL wrote:You got two Xbox? No split screen. So it would have to be two separate accounts and 2 separate downloads of the game
Makes sense.

I have 1 XBox but use 2 accounts so they can do split screen on Minecraft, was wondering if they could do something similar. But the solo mode seems easiest and all they really need any way.
BFiVL
Reactions:

Post by BFiVL »

shel311 wrote:
BFiVL wrote:Through the game itself no text but can send messages to username
Yea, I get that from Roblox, so my boys don't even know how to check messages...I think :lol:

But usually daily I go through their messages to make sure there's no messages or nothing crazy. They get one here and there but it seems to be from other really young kids and always been innocent...so far.

It is. I mean it’s typical common sense parenting when you let kids on net stuff. My kids have gotten some trash talk messages but they come to me and I block. No major issues and they been playing since December. Now they fight and bicker with each other over it but it’s been pretty positive for us.
BFiVL
Reactions:

Post by BFiVL »

shel311 wrote:
BFiVL wrote:You got two Xbox? No split screen. So it would have to be two separate accounts and 2 separate downloads of the game
Makes sense.

I have 1 XBox but use 2 accounts so they can do split screen on Minecraft, was wondering if they could do something similar. But the solo mode seems easiest and all they really need any way.

Good sharing and take turns lesson here. What sucks is if one has a 20 min game then the other does immediately then the fighting starts.
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

My boys are timed, they get 20 minutes per day, and that's that. I think that's partly why they're so obsessed, they have so many games and/or things they want to do, but so little time to do it across all these games.

They make up for it on the weekends. They wake up at 7am, and I get up around 9a, so that's their time to play for an hour each. But at least for now in the short term, I won't let them play that one without me around, but it seems it won't be an issue eventually.
BFiVL
Reactions:

Post by BFiVL »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnew ... ncna912661

Good parent article

Also PS4 finally caved. Can now play cross platform. Finally get to play with my boys. Should be fun.
The_Niddler
Reactions:

Post by The_Niddler »

BFiVL wrote:https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnew ... ncna912661

Good parent article

Also PS4 finally caved. Can now play cross platform. Finally get to play with my boys. Should be fun.

I wish more games would do cross platform. Any of the sports games for sure.
PSN: The_Niddler
TWITCH: The_Niddler
cougnix
Reactions:

Post by cougnix »

NFL Uniforms coming November 7th
ImageImage

PSN: Cougnix
BFiVL
Reactions:

Post by BFiVL »

cougnix wrote:NFL Uniforms coming November 7th

Getting. Gonna be #32 for the Bills or 52 for Ravens since they both killed people in real life.
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

BFiVL wrote:

Getting. Gonna be #32 for the Bills or 52 for Ravens since they both killed people in real life.
What about 88 for Carolina. That was Ray's number right?
ImageImageImage
BFiVL
Reactions:

Post by BFiVL »

GeorgesGoons wrote:
BFiVL wrote:

What about 88 for Carolina. That was Ray's number right?

Too soon since he just got out of prison. I’ll be BigBen since I rape people on that game

Return to “Shooters”