2092 Season Thread - The Wolfe of NDLB

Out of the Park Baseball League

Moderators: TheGobOne, Cnasty, Ry, nick

qazhby
Reactions:

Re: 2092 Season Thread - The Wolfe of NDLB

Post by qazhby »

Graywolf357 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:13 pm
qazhby wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:06 pm I think hitters are def easy to find, always kinda has been, but you couldn't find a replacement level starting pitcher in free agency after march last season
I got SP Vic Rico 11-8 3.32 era and SP Larry Boyd 13-5 3.50 era both in April.
well that just proved me wrong

i couldve used those guys lol
Graywolf357
Reactions:

Post by Graywolf357 »

qazhby wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:21 pm
qazhby wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:06 pm I think hitters are def easy to find, always kinda has been, but you couldn't find a replacement level starting pitcher in free agency after march last season

You still right tho haha. No top end guys. The yellow lefty still a thing.
DRiccio21
Reactions:

Post by DRiccio21 »

qazhby wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:10 pm Also dumb to me how the guys will continue to ask for $10 mil a year when its like June. You would think they would drop their demands pretty low once they realize the haven't got an offer in months
Agree with you in the logic but If they didn’t do that it would be much worse
SmittyRocks7
Reactions:

Post by SmittyRocks7 »

Graywolf357 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:34 pm
qazhby wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:21 pm

You still right tho haha. No top end guys. The yellow lefty still a thing.
I don't think you need to turn up injuries or add more teams, 2 major reasons you have so much talent sitting in FA.

I think the first issue is just mismanagement of teams. Too many teams just don't fundamentally understand how to manage their budget. You have to be able to predict seasons ahead, and properly adjust ticket pricing. A great budgeted team has a balanced mix of 480k guys, Arb guys and your big money guys. Owners not really understanding the impact of Rev. Sharing, its something else you have to predict to stay in front of. If you're not accounting for it properly can easily put you in the red in just 1-2 seasons. Especially if you go the "All In" route and take on a bunch of salary at once.

The second issue is just undervaluing what signing vets that are Extremely Popular can do to your Org. They add Fan Interest which is very important when you're trying to sell tickets. You can easily find a 31/32 year old guys that have been sitting in bad organization for years that have a lot left in the tank. Look at a guy like Blackburn, he was one of those guys just chilling in free agency back in 2088. Released by a team mid-season and didn't get signed unit the next season. Went on to do great things in Prosper and just won an MVP at 35 years old on all cheap deals. They're valuable if you have a young team, if you have a team on the cusp of a ship and just as valuable for rebuilders... Not saying zero risk, just a lot of upside. This game is all about calculated risks!
Last edited by SmittyRocks7 on Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nick
Reactions:

Post by nick »

Pedro Ramos the 55/55 is why were upset about FAs being there in August???? 50 is MLB average, dudes barely above average. As I type this theres tons of MLB average players available in free agency. Michael Conforto is waiting til after the draft to sign to kill his comp status.

All these guys are the same level players you guys are complaining dont get signed in our league..
wdoupis
Reactions:

Post by wdoupis »

Voting was actually enjoyable so next season vote and we won’t have -16 ZR guys winning MVPs!!!!!!
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

nick wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:22 pm All these guys are the same level players you guys are complaining dont get signed in our league..
That Raymond Blackburn example kinda says otherwise, unless one of those guys in your graph you think becomes a 5 WAR MVP
nick
Reactions:

Post by nick »

Blackburn signed April 4th?
nick
Reactions:

Post by nick »

btw none of those players minus conforto have comp status and still not being signed. Im guessing most players who get avoided have a comp status.

Has Dave ever actually drafted a player? funny that Im being told to kill some of my draft picks even tho I'm a great drafter by a guy who autos but c'est la vie.
Graywolf357
Reactions:

Post by Graywolf357 »

wdoupis wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:24 pm Voting was actually enjoyable so next season vote and we won’t have -16 ZR guys winning MVPs!!!!!!
Agreed lol
nick
Reactions:

Post by nick »

Game changer

Graywolf357
Reactions:

Post by Graywolf357 »

I think you are just mad at Ramos because he was on the in game trade block for months!!!!!
SmittyRocks7
Reactions:

Post by SmittyRocks7 »

That's not even a good example, he was a free agent for one sim....lol

I think we're talking about guys that are there half a season or more.
TheGobOne
Reactions:

Post by TheGobOne »

SmittyRocks7 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:17 pm I don't think you need to turn up injuries or add more teams, 2 major reasons you have so much talent sitting in FA.

I think the first issue is just mismanagement of teams. Too many teams just don't fundamentally understand how to manage their budget. You have to be able to predict seasons ahead, and properly adjust ticket pricing. A great budgeted team has a balanced mix of 480k guys, Arb guys and your big money guys. Owners not really understand the impact of Rev. Sharing, its something else you have to predict to stay in front of. If you're not accounting for it properly can easily put you in the red in just 1-2 seasons. Especially if you go the "All In" route and take on a bunch of salary at once.

The second issue is just undervaluing what signing vets that are Extremely Popular can do to your Org. They add Fan Interest which is very important when you're trying to sell tickets. You can easily find a 31/32 year old guys that have been sitting in bad organization for years that have a lot left in the tank. Look at a guy like Blackburn, he was one of those guys just chilling in free agency back in 2088. Released by a team mid-season and didn't get signed unit the next season. Went on to do great things in Prosper and just won an MVP at 35 years old on all cheap deals. They're valuable if you have a young team, if you have a team on the cusp of a ship and just as valuable for rebuilders... Not saying zero risk, just a lot of upside. This game is all about calculated risks!
Well said. It's tough to know where you're going to land in rev sharing but I've always had a personal soft rule that if I'm going past 150-155 I will be paying. That being said I love it. It keeps the league from having omega dynasties that are always at the top. At some point you gotta dial back into a retool or full rebuild. Keeps things fresh.

Example I just lost my 2 best hitters. I can def "afford" them but I will be at like 180-190M expenses. That's easily 20M+ deep into rev sharing. So time to retool a bit and let the kids play.
qazhby
Reactions:

Post by qazhby »

Also another thing for me is that I know if I sign a guy mid season and he hasn't played in 6 months he's gonna be terrible for probably a month. I wish we could send these newly signed guys on "rehab" assignments to get them up to speed then play them
TheGobOne
Reactions:

Post by TheGobOne »

On that topic, I declined Herrera's TO at 22M thinking I could get him for 10-12. Man is asking for 25 now!! I just realized how good his age 36 season was....

Nostalgia really getting to me in trying to keep him to keep his (potential) HoF entry clean of other teams.
qazhby
Reactions:

Post by qazhby »

I like revenue sharing but its def part of the problem of guys not spending. It should be more based on the actual revenue made rather than payroll IMO. Not a huge fan of there being a disincentive to pay guys. what we have is more of a luxury tax.

Also the issue of guys trying to not spend over it to get said revenue sharing where they could sign some of these guys and get the fan interest/possible playoffs
Graywolf357
Reactions:

Post by Graywolf357 »

qazhby wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:48 pm Also another thing for me is that I know if I sign a guy mid season and he hasn't played in 6 months he's gonna be terrible for probably a month. I wish we could send these newly signed guys on "rehab" assignments to get them up to speed then play them
That would be awesome at least a week or 2 of games get the rust off.
TheGobOne
Reactions:

Post by TheGobOne »

qazhby wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:55 pm I like revenue sharing but its def part of the problem of guys not spending. It should be more based on the actual revenue made rather than payroll IMO. Not a huge fan of there being a disincentive to pay guys. what we have is more of a luxury tax.

Also the issue of guys trying to not spend over it to get said revenue sharing where they could sign some of these guys and get the fan interest/possible playoffs
Honestly you're right it technically is a Luxury Tax we've just always called it rev sharing. We should change that because for all intents and purposes it is a luxury tax.
SmittyRocks7
Reactions:

Post by SmittyRocks7 »

It'd be nice to just have a predicted Rev. Sharing number while in that season. That sticker shock once the season ends can be crazy sometimes! I knew Prospers was going to be high but wow!

Return to “Old OOTP Baseball”