Soccer discussion thread

This is the place for all Soccer games played in the NDL.
nick
Reactions:

Re: Soccer discussion thread

Post by nick »

A ref!!! In the psg game made a racial remark to a black coach so both teams walked off
nick
Reactions:

Post by nick »

Alphonso Davies is the first North American to make the fifa 11 team. :)
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Post by ReignOnU »

Report: More than 6,500 migrant workers have died during Qatar's World Cup prep

The number is likely understated quite a bit. "Within expectations." Disgusting.
PSN: ReignOnU
nick
Reactions:

Post by nick »

one of the reasons that they havent moved the games from Qatar is they didnt want all those who have died to have died in vain. how wild is that? 6500 dead and the games will be played midnight? local time and no one cares.
Seeitsaveit13
Reactions:

Post by Seeitsaveit13 »

nick wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:59 pm one of the reasons that they havent moved the games from Qatar is they didnt want all those who have died to have died in vain. how wild is that? 6500 dead and the games will be played midnight? local time and no one cares.
For sure a fucked up excuse but also like... kinda a good idea? Like they did die for it...

There is not a good answer here.
ImageImageImageImage
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

Qatar should have never been given the site for the world cup. Most knew they had horrible safety record for workers before all this started. Didn't read the article so not sure if they mentioned nationalities or not, but my guess is a lot are from India, Bangladesh, Philippines and Pakistan. They all work under slave conditions, just like in other middle east countries
ImageImageImage
nick
Reactions:

Post by nick »

Get their passports taken as well. Left to die. And we’re like hey so long as it’s not in our backyard ...
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

nick wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:09 pm Get their passports taken as well. Left to die. And we’re like hey so long as it’s not in our backyard ...
100% true. Saw it in Iraq, Jordan and Syria. And the amount of philippines in Dubai I'd say it's the same there
ImageImageImage
Seeitsaveit13
Reactions:

Post by Seeitsaveit13 »

GeorgesGoons wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:46 pm Qatar should have never been given the site for the world cup. Most knew they had horrible safety record for workers before all this started. Didn't read the article so not sure if they mentioned nationalities or not, but my guess is a lot are from India, Bangladesh, Philippines and Pakistan. They all work under slave conditions, just like in other middle east countries

And once the fifa corruption came out (not that it wasn’t obvious already) they should have taken it from them immediately and it wouldn’t have come to this.
ImageImageImageImage
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Post by ReignOnU »

Seeitsaveit13 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:02 am
GeorgesGoons wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:46 pm Qatar should have never been given the site for the world cup. Most knew they had horrible safety record for workers before all this started. Didn't read the article so not sure if they mentioned nationalities or not, but my guess is a lot are from India, Bangladesh, Philippines and Pakistan. They all work under slave conditions, just like in other middle east countries

And once the fifa corruption came out (not that it wasn’t obvious already) they should have taken it from them immediately and it wouldn’t have come to this.
It's kind of crazy to think that there's really no one that FIFA has to answer to. It just comes down to their image. In the current social climate, I'm actually surprised that countries haven't joined together to boycott the event.
PSN: ReignOnU
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

ReignOnU wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:44 am

In the current social climate, I'm actually surprised that countries haven't joined together to boycott the event.
I was thinking the same thing...but is the current social climate that we see here the same in other countries? (honest question)
ImageImageImage
Seeitsaveit13
Reactions:

Post by Seeitsaveit13 »

GeorgesGoons wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:06 am
ReignOnU wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:44 am

In the current social climate, I'm actually surprised that countries haven't joined together to boycott the event.
I was thinking the same thing...but is the current social climate that we see here the same in other countries? (honest question)
Soccer is a different animal. Its so popular globally that I think there's a chance that some countries would face more backlash internally from boycotting than they would if they didn't join a protest and faced backlash globally. Just kind of thinking out loud on that one though.
ImageImageImageImage
jsence2
Reactions:

Post by jsence2 »

ReignOnU wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:12 am Report: More than 6,500 migrant workers have died during Qatar's World Cup prep

The number is likely understated quite a bit. "Within expectations." Disgusting.
In the first year of building the stadiums, it was reported that workers were being held captive, denied their wages, denied visas that would allow them to return home, etc. The stadiums have essentially been built with slave labor, half a dozen workers dying per day from unsafe conditions (and yeah, that number is absolutely underreported)...

...and the world has barely blinked an eye.

FIFA doesn't care, they got their money. The federations don't care, they won't boycott a tournament they think they can win or do well in. And the fans won't care, because shit gets rationalized all the time, and it's out of sight, out of mind.

Qatar committed bribery to get the tournament. They're committing human rights violations to prepare for it. And they will profit massively from it. And nothing will change because FIFA gonna FIFA.

S14: N Texas 7-1
S15: Wake 8-5
S16-21: Washington 9-4, 10-3, 8-5, 9-4, 7-6, 6-7
S22: Ohio 8-5
S23: ECU 12-2
S24-26: Kentucky 8-5, 5-7, 5-7
Career: 102-61
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

Before I die I want to leave the country for a world cup event. I'll definitely go to one here in the states. Not a huge soccer can but I love the world cup

But I would stay away from any world cup held in the middle east. Just way too damn hot for me.
ImageImageImage
jsence2
Reactions:

Post by jsence2 »

GeorgesGoons wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:04 pm Before I die I want to leave the country for a world cup event. I'll definitely go to one here in the states. Not a huge soccer can but I love the world cup

But I would stay away from any world cup held in the middle east. Just way too damn hot for me.
Europe has not hosted since 2006, so the belief is that England will win the 2030 bid. And I'll spend an entire month over there.

jsence2
Reactions:

Post by jsence2 »

Yunus Musah picks the United States over England and Italy.

Massive, massive addition and I'm really starting to get excited about what 2026 could bring.

GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

jsence2 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:34 pm Yunus Musah picks the United States over England and Italy.

Massive, massive addition and I'm really starting to get excited about what 2026 could bring.
Well, being a Kentucky fan you are used to being let down.
ImageImageImage
Ry
Reactions:

Post by Ry »

jsence2 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:51 pm
ReignOnU wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:12 am Report: More than 6,500 migrant workers have died during Qatar's World Cup prep

In the first year of building the stadiums, it was reported that workers were being held captive, denied their wages, denied visas that would allow them to return home, etc. The stadiums have essentially been built with slave labor, half a dozen workers dying per day from unsafe conditions (and yeah, that number is absolutely underreported)...

FIFA doesn't care, they got their money. The federations don't care, they won't boycott a tournament they think they can win or do well in. And the fans won't care, because shit gets rationalized all the time, and it's out of sight, out of mind.

Qatar committed bribery to get the tournament. They're committing human rights violations to prepare for it. And they will profit massively from it. And nothing will change because FIFA gonna FIFA.
Just out of curiosity, will you be boycotting the 2026 World Cup, due to the all the issues mentioned above?
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

Ry wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:57 am
jsence2 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:51 pm

Just out of curiosity, will you be boycotting the 2026 World Cup, due to the all the issues mentioned above?
You questioning Jasons's virtue signaling?!? :lol:

I won't be boycotting anything. The rest of the world, especially the middle east, is a shitty place to live. The quicker people realize this and accept there is absolutely nothing they can do bout it the better. USA isn't as bad as a lot of these people thinks it is when comparing it to some of the other countries around the world. But most wouldn't know that from the comforts of their couch in their racist bigoted country
ImageImageImage
Ry
Reactions:

Post by Ry »

I won't be boycotting. I guess I'm not getting an answer from Jason, yet.

Return to “Soccer”