Random Discussions

Come one, come all. Talk about anything not league or video game football related here.
nick
Reactions:

Re: Random Discussions

Post by nick »

My buddy: hey me and the wife bought a condo to rent out
Me: sweet
Buddy: ya 1 bedroom + balcony and den.
Me: nice how much?
Buddy: $1600/month

*throws up*

Why is life so expensive?
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

We were supposed to close on our new house Tuesday. Did our final walk around yesterday. The basement bathroom and laundry was to be "fully remodeled and move in ready." The work done was shoddy at best, definitely didn't have the same workmanship as the upstairs remodel. We listed all the things needed to be done to close or we offered to take back the $7500 over appraisal and $2k in closing so we could finish the work ourselves, this was completely off the table for them. The other option was to get licensed contractors to complete the work properly, he declined that.

This guy doesn't understand how much of an asshole I can be. They have to release our earnest money before we can get that money back. And here is where I become an asshole, I have to release the contract so he can sell it to someone else. I'm gonna hold it for a month or two so his other house that he is trying to buy falls thru.
ImageImageImage
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

When they said fully remodeled and move in ready we were definitely thinking the quality would match the work done upstairs. The guy even said that the vanity and mirror was there before listing and open house.

ImageImageImage
The_Niddler
Reactions:

Post by The_Niddler »

Who the hell did that tile work? Terrible! All of it, terrible!
PSN: The_Niddler
TWITCH: The_Niddler
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

This was their responses to all the things we pointed out

Option 1 – completion prior to closing

Tile floor to be torn out & replaced by a licensed professional flooring person-
No, the tile floor was just laid right before the home went on the market

Licensed plumber fix the floor drain to be level with the floor & brought to code. This is a major tripping hazard as well as esthetically unappealing. Sellers will look for a floor drain cover to put on the drain

Have a licensed drywall person & painter to fix, repair, finish several spots where the drywall is not finished such as above the window, there is a pvc pipe exposed in ceiling, area above the mirror, ceiling isn’t painted outside of bathroom, drywall in laundry room isn’t completely finished. Bathroom still has drywall mud or paint on it.
Sellers will fix, repair and finish the drywall areas noted in the pictures, and the areas will be painted

Licensed electrician to add GFCI outlets in bath by vanity & laundry room. Make sure all other electrical in that area is up to code.
No, there was never an outlet in this area, and it was not pointed out by the VA appraiser

Carbon monoxide detectors & smoke detectors to be present & in working order. Remove old, non working detectors.
There are now CO2 detectors present and will have working smoke detectors

Vanity & mirror are not updated-
This was the vanity and mirror that was in the home at the time of the listing, so it will not be replaced

Door bell cover missing,
Sellers will look for a cover to put on it.
This was in the MLS Listing:
Downstairs bathroom and laundry room have been fully remodeled and will be move in ready! This one will go fast!
ImageImageImage
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

our other option was to not pay the $7500 over appraisal and $2000 of closing costs. They won't even negotiate this.
ImageImageImage
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

I’d run as far away from that place as possible.
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

Cnasty wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:29 am I’d run as far away from that place as possible.
The upstairs remodel was amazing. When the open house was conducted we assumed the downstairs bathroom and laundry would have been held to the same standard. Guess not. We already cancelled our contract pending the release of the earnest money.
ImageImageImage
sixpackdan101
Reactions:

Post by sixpackdan101 »

Why didn’t you look at the bathroom during the open house? Was it closed off? Did you have an inspection? Are you certain you’ll get your earnest deposit back?
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

sixpackdan101 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:47 am Why didn’t you look at the bathroom during the open house? Was it closed off? Did you have an inspection? Are you certain you’ll get your earnest deposit back?

It was being remodeled at the time, said it would be completed prior to sale. With the state of the rest of the homes remodel we assumed it would be up to those same standards.

As far as the earnest money, I don't even care if I get it back. But they cannot sell their house without our release of the contract, which is contingent on them releasing the earnest money funds. We were supposed to close at 8am tomorrow and they had their new home closing at 10am, now they will not be able to close on that home because it was contingent on them selling their house first.
ImageImageImage
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

You likely have the leverage here with their contingency, but I imagine something like this can drag out based on contract language.
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

shel311 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:57 am You likely have the leverage here with their contingency, but I imagine something like this can drag out based on contract language.
I don't mind it dragging out. It's $2k and they need to sell their house before buying their new one. They can hold it for months, I'll get the money back eventually.
ImageImageImage
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

This is from the upstairs remodel:

So we were expecting something along these lines in finishing touches. Oh well, you win some and lose some. My son is extremely aggravated about this, just told him we always come out ahead and just worry about flying and school.
ImageImageImage
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

and more bad news. Mother in law's husband has COPD and very limited lung capacity has pneumonia and COVID. Went to hospital last night with temps over 102 degrees.
ImageImageImage
jeheinz72
Reactions:

Post by jeheinz72 »

Yeah that's some bullshit with that remodel

Sucks about your mother in law's husband man

My best friends Dad and grandma both got COVID in the last few weeks and are in the hospital
GM of the Fresno Grizzlies, 2071 - on
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

jeheinz72 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:23 am Yeah that's some bullshit with that remodel

Sucks about your mother in law's husband man

My best friends Dad and grandma both got COVID in the last few weeks and are in the hospital
As far as the house, it's probably for the better. No sweat off my balls. The wife and kid are freaking out but I like to live that "inshallah" (if god wills it) life. I can roll with any punches.

Yea, it won't be good for him if he goes on a ventilator.
ImageImageImage
dakshdar
Reactions:

Post by dakshdar »

So it'll really come down to the drywall, drain, and floor right?

Everything else is minor/not worth the fight. And unlikely you could argue you want an outlet installed that didn't exist in the first place. But even that's easy and fast (and generally cheap) to get done later. Even the mirror and sink, that's not problematic to rework if the rest of the room is properly done.

But their hack job with the main stuff is laughable. Their realtor is likely unhappy since this impacts the sale closing.
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

dakshdar wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:47 pm So it'll really come down to the drywall, drain, and floor right?

Everything else is minor/not worth the fight. And unlikely you could argue you want an outlet installed that didn't exist in the first place. But even that's easy and fast (and generally cheap) to get done later. Even the mirror and sink, that's not problematic to rework if the rest of the room is properly done.

But their hack job with the main stuff is laughable. Their realtor is likely unhappy since this impacts the sale closing.
We offered $7500 over appraisal and $2000 in closing thinking it was going to be the same quality of the upstairs remodel. The floor would have to be completely redone. No light in the shower so we would have to add that. But their response to the vanity and mirror was what turned us off completely, they said it was there when they had the open house....although the listing said the bathroom and laundry would be remodeled. Laundry floor wasn't even finished
ImageImageImage
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

our realtor spoke with his and she got the impression that his realtor is not happy at all.
ImageImageImage
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

GeorgesGoons wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:57 pm our realtor spoke with his and she got the impression that his realtor is not happy at all.
Not happy with his/her client? You'd think the realtor would have checked up on that remodel before final walkthrough

Return to “Off Topic Forum”