Chicago

Going on a trip? Looking for some travel advice or places to visit? This is your place.
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Chicago

Post by GeorgesGoons »

I know this is Billy's expertise here. Wifey and I are talking about a quick getaway weekend. We talked about Chicago as one of the locations. We just want good food, room service and something to do during the day. Don't want to drive more than 8 hours away from Omaha though. What is there to do there? Any other suggestions? We also talked about KC and the Ozarks. She's been stressed with family so she wants a mindless weekend if good food
ImageImageImage
Weasel
Reactions:

Re: Chicago

Post by Weasel »

I'm no expert on the city, but we go usually about once a year for a conference.

Do Rite Chicken and Donut: great casual lunch spot, fantastic sandwiches

Kanela Breakfast Club: still the best breakfast I've had
wdoupis
Reactions:

Post by wdoupis »

Going to Navy Pier is usually at the top of most peoples list if its their first time in Chicago. Magnificent Mile is Michigan Ave and just a mile of tons of shopping. I hate it but maybe the wife would want to go. Their are bars around for you if she goes that route. The Sears Tower (Willis Tower now) is the tallest building in the states and has a skydeck you can go out on and take pictures and its pretty cheap to do. The Art Institute is either the biggest or 2nd biggest in the states. I like the Chicago History Museum. I know you like history so that might interest you.

As far as food there are so many awesome restaurants in the city. If you want to do the deep dish pizza either Geno's East or Lou Malnati's. I am not a big fan of Giordano's. There is a really nice restaurant called Girl and the Goat but it can be harder to get reservations for but they have a diner called Little Goat Diner that I really like and they kind of put their own spin and twists on popular foods. Its really good. If you are looking for something fast for lunch Portillo's is a Chicago based fast food place that is super popular and have a great Italian Beef or Chicago style hot dogs.

There is a ton of choices but if you are just doing a weekend don't need to put too much. Just whatever you do I would not put yourself thru the torture of going to a Bulls game
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

For the museum and mile, where is a good part to stay in?
ImageImageImage
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

And do you recommend just taking the subway, or whatever you Chicago people call it
ImageImageImage
wdoupis
Reactions:

Post by wdoupis »

If you stay on Michigan Ave its going to be really expensive. I'd just look for a hotel or AirBNB in the West Loop (River North area is nice) and if you can find one with parking included that is a huge plus. Once you park your car I would not touch it until you drive home. Uber is the easiest way to get around. Subway/train is fine too but I'd just Uber it. Most places you will want to go will be close to where you are staying.
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Post by ReignOnU »

wdoupis wrote:If you stay on Michigan Ave its going to be really expensive. I'd just look for a hotel or AirBNB in the West Loop (River North area is nice) and if you can find one with parking included that is a huge plus. Once you park your car I would not touch it until you drive home. Uber is the easiest way to get around. Subway/train is fine too but I'd just Uber it. Most places you will want to go will be close to where you are staying.

Parking included is worth $45-$50 a night... huge win.

For pizza, it's Lou Malnati's, Gino's East then Giordano's. I'd skip Giordano's, just because you can get it outside of Chicago. If you're going to eat at either of the first 2, it's an hour minimum to get a seat and likely 45 to an hour for the cook. Be prepared to wait.

If you want touristy shit, try this:
https://theskydeck.com/tickets-shop/general-pricing/

I've done the $100+ breakfast in the tower... not worth it. But if you're really bored and want a unique experience, have at it.

Walk and Shopping is Michigan Ave... a little more entertainment friendly and reasonable walkable if it's not freezing is the pier.

My wife and I did New Year's on the Navy Pier about 15yrs ago. There was over a foot of snow... turned into the biggest snowball fight ever. Had a blast.

If you want to catch Bulls/Hawks game... keep in mind that it's no where near downtown. You'll have to Uber/taxi out. With that said, I really enjoy games there.
PSN: ReignOnU
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Post by ReignOnU »

Also, besides the pizza joints, if you're doing Chicago, I'd just recommend hitting the sports fan shit just for the experience. Jordan's, Ditka's, Harry Caray's... they aren't the best in town, but it's probably something you can relate to and attach a memory to.
PSN: ReignOnU
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

Don’t get shot.
LetsGoPeay
Reactions:

Post by LetsGoPeay »

I love Chicago. We go two or three times a year for weekends. Navy Pier is overrated. I like going to the Magnificent Mile and just walking around. There are plenty of bars just off of there too. If you want an amazing brunch you’ve got to go to the Bongo Room. Their downtown location just closed though so it’s a bit more difficult to get there. My go to meal there is the tomatillo avocado egg white scramble. My wife gets the chocolate banana French toast tower. As for pizza it’s Geno’s East for me but I’ve also heard good things about Lou Malnati’s and Nancy’s.
Wasted Memory
Reactions:

Post by Wasted Memory »

I have to go for two weeks...in January... :(
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

Cnasty wrote:Don’t get shot.
Well, it's not baseball season so I have no reason to go to the southside. Go White Sox
ImageImageImage
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

Hotel parking is crazy! Told the wife that I'll park t long term parking at the airport and then Uber to the hotel
ImageImageImage
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

GeorgesGoons wrote:Hotel parking is crazy! Told the wife that I'll park t long term parking at the airport and then Uber to the hotel
I'm confused. You're going to rent a car, then park it in the off site parking near the airport, then Uber around everywhere?

Or are you in your personal car?
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

shel311 wrote:
GeorgesGoons wrote:Hotel parking is crazy! Told the wife that I'll park t long term parking at the airport and then Uber to the hotel
I'm confused. You're going to rent a car, then park it in the off site parking near the airport, then Uber around everywhere?

Or are you in your personal car?
personal car, driving from Omaha.

But we decided to go to Fort Collins, CO instead. Wife wants to see Car Henge (stone henge or whatever it's called) in western Nebraska so we will are just going to drive and see where we end up for a nice littel 4 day weekend away.
ImageImageImage
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

Wife changed her mind again last night, twice actually. She said we should do Vegas and then changed her mind to do a cabin instead. We are going to hit up Deadwood, SD area. This is the cabin we are staying in.

https://www.vrbo.com/451341

I figured we can do some wineries, which will be actual torture for me as I HATE wine (even the smell of it). Also definitely hitting up Deadwood, want to go to the cigar bar up there and buy a couple of Deadwood Tobacco Company sticks. They also have a Chinatown there and would like to see if they are doing anything for the Chinese New Year. But overall, just hang out in the hot tub and drink some good whiskey and be a bum for 4 days. We get back Sunday (8 hour drive) and I'll be able to watch a little bit of the Superbowl but I have to go out cleaning that evening
ImageImageImage
dakshdar
Reactions:

Post by dakshdar »

Do all the wineries only do wine? Some wineries here in California have also started doing beer and other things...

A getaway from the hustle and bustle is a nice vacation - usually my preference as well. Enjoy!
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

dakshdar wrote:Do all the wineries only do wine? Some wineries here in California have also started doing beer and other things...

A getaway from the hustle and bustle is a nice vacation - usually my preference as well. Enjoy!
I have never been to a winery so I have zero clue what they have there. I have avoided them up till now, guess I can give in to the wife on this one
ImageImageImage
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

We made it to just outside of Hill City, SD at our cabin. Couldn't be more thrilled of where we are staying. We drive over an hour to Lead, SD (just outside of Deadwood, and had one of the top 3 burgers I ever had. While traveling to there we hit a snow storm that had complete white out conditions, we were traveling at 10mph at times, but tht burger made up for it!

Stopped at the cigar shop and grabbed a couple of sticks, the Deadwood Tobacco Company Sweet Jane is amazing! Had another that wasn't so good though. The wife and I hung out in the hot tub in 20* weather and had a blast by ourselves. If anyone ever makes it up this way let me know, this cabin is AMAZING!
ImageImageImage

Return to “Travel”