2013 College Football Season

Come one, come all. Talk about anything not league or video game football related here.
ChampDizzle
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Re: 2013 College Football Season

Post by ChampDizzle »

texasfan4444 wrote:
Whittness10 wrote:I saw this morning the top 5 projected as Alabama, Oregon, FSU, Ohio St, and Missouri.

That list is like a game of pick the one that doesnt belong. :D
Mizzou hasn't played anyone yet :roll:
texasfan4444
Reactions:

Post by texasfan4444 »

interesting little article on ESPN...

Tear up your mock BCS standings
By Andrea Adelson | ESPN.com

You had your mock BCS standings all figured out headed into Saturday's games, all the unbeatens slotted in, the one-loss SEC teams sprinkled throughout the top, too.

Silly you.

October always brings some unpredictability and a whole bunch of chaos. How fitting, then, that the most chaotic weekend to date came on BCS standings eve, punching holes throughout mock standings everywhere and leaving America to collectively wonder, "What just happened?"

Did No. 3 Clemson really give up 51 points in an embarrassing loss to No. 5 Florida State?
Did No. 6 LSU really lose to unranked Ole Miss?
Did No. 7 Texas A&M really lose at home to No. 24 Auburn?
Did No. 8 Louisville really lose to unranked UCF?

But wait, there is more.

No. 9 UCLA lost, too?
And No. 11 South Carolina to unranked Tennessee?

indeed.

If you're an SEC team in the top 10 of the first BCS standings, don't get too comfortable.

The top-10 wreckage has not left college football in shambles, however. Three unbeatens no longer remain, but the chaos we saw Saturday served a larger purpose.

We now see true separation at the top. Nobody disputes that Alabama, Oregon, Florida State and Ohio State are the top four teams in the nation. Baylor, off yet another 70-point showing, merits discussion. Miami, Missouri and Texas Tech are unbeaten, too, so throw them into the mix.

This is where everything gets just a bit fuzzy and where the first BCS standings become so important when they're released Sunday night.

How will the top four teams be slotted? Where will Baylor, Miami, Missouri and Texas Tech end up? How about one-loss Clemson and one-loss UCLA? One-loss Stanford and one-loss Auburn?

A few points to consider.

First: Does the chaos in the SEC affect Alabama when it comes to strength of schedule? Its best win is on the road against Texas A&M, a team with two losses now. Eight of 14 SEC teams have three or more losses; the East features four teams at 4-3. The gap between the SEC and the other conferences seems to have closed, especially if you look at the Week 8 results. In all, four top-15 SEC teams lost, three to unranked teams (LSU, South Carolina, Georgia). The SEC knows what it feels like for its middle-of-the-pack teams to rise up and cannibalize its top tier.

Second: How will the computers view Oregon, Florida State and Ohio State? The Ducks have put up their usual video-game numbers, but they have not beaten anybody with more than four wins. Washington qualifies as their best win, but the Huskies now have three losses after getting slammed 53-24 by Arizona State on Saturday. Oregon has two wins over teams with winning records.

Turn to Florida State, and the Noles have three wins over teams with winning records, including two over teams ranked when they played (Maryland, Clemson). Turn to Ohio State, and its best win remains Wisconsin. The Buckeyes also have three wins over teams with winning records, but only Wisconsin has five wins.

Third: Where do the other unbeatens fit? Miami went into the weekend ranked No. 10, Baylor No. 12, Missouri No. 14 and Texas Tech No. 16. Are all four top-10 teams? How do the computers view their respective schedules? And let's not forget about unbeaten non-AQs Fresno State and Northern Illinois, either. Each is hoping to earn an automatic spot in a BCS bowl game.

Yes, Saturday's theme was easily chaos. But that was just a prelude. The BCS standings are sure to create their own special chaos.
Im really curious to see whrere Baylor and Tech End up. Tech has Oklahoma next week. Im hoping they put up a hundy on them. :D
Weasel
Reactions:

Post by Weasel »

This annoys me:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... ck-aliotti
With a lopsided defeat well in hand, the Washington State Cougars had other business to take care of Saturday night against the No. 2 Oregon Ducks.

For their late effort, Cougars quarterback Connor Halliday set a Football Bowl Subdivision record for pass attempts with 89 -- and drew the ire of Duck defensive coordinator Nick Aliotti.

Aliotti called it "low class" move by Washington State coach Mike Leach.

"I am kind of stunned he would keep his quarterback and crew in there,'' Aliotti told reporters after the Ducks' 62-38 win, according to The Oregonian. "And still he threw the ball with 20 seconds left. But he did.

"They want stats, they got stats. But we got the most important stat, and that's the 'W,' and we are happy about that.''

Trailing 55-24 to start the Cougars' first drive of the fourth quarter, Halliday made 28 more passes to break a 15-year-old FBS record set by Drew Brees with Purdue -- by six attempts.

"That's total (B.S.) that he threw the ball at the end of the game like he did,'' Aliotti said, referring to Leach. "And you can print that and you can send it to him, and he can comment, too. I think it's low class and it's (B.S.) to throw the ball when the game is completely over against our kids that are basically our scout team.''

Halliday completed 58 of 89 passes total for 557 yards and four touchdowns for Washington State (4-4, 2-3 Pac-12). He didn't hand the ball off once during the fourth quarter.

But the Ducks (7-0, 4-0) picked off Halliday four times, including one interception that was returned 51 yards for a touchdown by Terrance Mitchell early in the fourth quarter. Halliday leads the nation with 17 interceptions.

"I'm repeating myself," Aliotti reiterated, unprompted, several questions later in the media session. "But again, in the end he's still throwing at a time when most guys would try to end the game and go home."
Youre winning, who cares what the other team is doing?! If Im losing, Im slingin' it until 00:00
texasfan4444
Reactions:

Post by texasfan4444 »

I agree Weasel. I thought it was going to be something about taking cheap shots at peoples legs or something. But when i read that this morning i was like "and then?"
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

Maybe I'm wrong here, but don't most or all coaches thrown the ball in the final minute when they're down by about that much?

That seems like the norm to me, I can't recall seeing coaches runout the final minute or 2 when losing, at least not often.
Nole4real
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Nole4real »

he have a contract bonus with regards to ppg or ypg on the season?

or is that just in the ea video games?
trendon
Reactions:

Post by trendon »

I would not have either Baylor or Miami in the Top Ten, let alone five.
DRiccio21
Reactions:

Post by DRiccio21 »

trendon wrote:I would not have Miami in the Top Ten, let alone five.
let us enjoy a FSU-Miami game that matters please, then after that they can go 0-fer the season if they lose.

all I've ever asked for is 1 season where they matter near the end.
trendon
Reactions:

Post by trendon »

DRiccio21 wrote:
trendon wrote:I would not have Miami in the Top Ten, let alone five.
let us enjoy a FSU-Miami game that matters please, then after that they can go 0-fer the season if they lose.

all I've ever asked for is 1 season where they matter near the end.
The good news is Miami is not Clemson and, thus, can't pull a Clemson like Clemson just did. Every year, Clemson. Every year.
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

Let's worry about wake forest before we pull a Miami before FSU.

We almost already did against unc. Granted on the road, on a Thursday is a little tougher than wake at home but still.

And correct, Miami isn't a top 10 team overall right now. Fringe 15ish but rankings are stupid anyways.

I don't know what has happened to Morris. That ankle injury is worse than we think as well as losing his security blanket in dorsett isn't good. Even with the crazy depth at WR
buckeye76
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by buckeye76 »

The Bucks defense will eventually do them in. There pass defense is prolly the worst I've seen in a long time. Lack luster 1st half sand the defense adjusts and maybe that's why they don't blitz often. I guess I'm used to the zone blitz of the steelers.
fsupenguin
Reactions:

Post by fsupenguin »

I do hope the Canes make it a top ten matchup, and you know their players will fight harder than Clemson did.
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

If anythng we will help FSU and their stake in the championship game beating 2 top 10 teams.

FSU 's offense is nice but it's their D that worries me a little more with how good they are.

With all the times we have ruined FSU's chance at a championship game, I don't see this one playing out for us that way.
DRiccio21
Reactions:

Post by DRiccio21 »

Cnasty wrote:If anythng we will help FSU and their stake in the championship game beating 2 top 10 teams.

FSU 's offense is nice but it's their D that worries me a little more with how good they are.

With all the times we have ruined FSU's chance at a championship game, I don't see this one playing out for us that way.
well shame on you!
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

Realist

Riccio likes 3 straight runs, kill clock, punt, play field position, debate Harvards of the South, etc
OracleHCR
Reactions:

Post by OracleHCR »

Pruitt has done a good job with their defense. Moving Jones to DE was a brilliant move when making the switch to the hybrid 3-3-5 from the 3-4. His athletism and quick reads make it hard to run the read option and having Joyner at nickel back worked out pretty well against Clemson.
I just hope they don't overlook the sandwich game with NC State.
VeniVediV1ci
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by VeniVediV1ci »

ajalves wrote:
Dolemitesooner wrote:Hate to admit it but Texas is the Harvard of the south
VVV is that you?
fsupenguin
Reactions:

Post by fsupenguin »

OracleHCR wrote:Pruitt has done a good job with their defense. Moving Jones to DE was a brilliant move when making the switch to the hybrid 3-3-5 from the 3-4. His athletism and quick reads make it hard to run the read option and having Joyner at nickel back worked out pretty well against Clemson.
I just hope they don't overlook the sandwich game with NC State.
Given what happened last season I don't think this game will be overlooked.
Uuaww
Reactions:

Post by Uuaww »

Dolemitesooner wrote:Hate to admit it but Texas is the Harvard of the south
I though I heard somewhere that Florida was the best school in the south?
LetsGoPeay
Reactions:

Post by LetsGoPeay »

I find it interesting that the SEC Eastern champ could be geographically further west than the SEC Western champ.

Return to “Off Topic Forum”