Final 4 Thread

Come one, come all. Talk about anything not league or video game football related here.
jsence2
Reactions:

Re: Final 4 Thread

Post by jsence2 »

sammy33 wrote:
jsence2 wrote:Fourteen long years....I forgot how great this felt.

I wish to God I didn't have to work tomorrow, or I'd be in Lexington for the celebration.

:D

So many drinks. So glad I could enjoy this night with so many friends.

Ditto

S14: N Texas 7-1
S15: Wake 8-5
S16-21: Washington 9-4, 10-3, 8-5, 9-4, 7-6, 6-7
S22: Ohio 8-5
S23: ECU 12-2
S24-26: Kentucky 8-5, 5-7, 5-7
Career: 102-61
jsence2
Reactions:

Post by jsence2 »

Andy Katz polled the ESPN writers real fast, here's their early top 10 for next season....should make a lot of our NDLers happy

1. Indiana

Surprised? Putting Indiana No. 1 isn't a reach, and it speaks volumes about how far Tom Crean has brought the Hoosiers. There was legitimate grumbling in the Hoosier Nation a year ago, wondering whether the rebuilding was taking too long. Well, IU had two of the more significant wins of the 2011-12 regular season and then reached the Sweet 16, where it pushed Kentucky as well as any team. Cody Zeller has to stay put for Indiana to remain No. 1 of course. But if Zeller is back, the Hoosiers -- with nearly everyone returning and joined by another elite recruiting class -- will be right there in the running for a national title.

2. Louisville

The Cardinals reached the Final Four despite a number of injuries and eligibility issues. They showed tremendous resolve and were a terrific team at home. Rick Pitino couldn't be too upset over the loss to Kentucky because he knows this team can be right back here next season. Can you imagine if Indiana and Louisville, near neighbors, are 1 and 2? Could happen. Peyton Siva should be Big East preseason player of the year and UL is only losing Kyle Kuric and Chris Smith. Plus, Wayne Blackshaer will be around for a whole season.

3. Kansas

The Jayhawks are projected to lose Thomas Robinson, and they will lose Tyshawn Taylor. But have we learned our lesson not to dismiss anything Bill Self does with this program? Kansas might lose Jeff Withey, but don't be surprised if he stays with more touches coming his way. Newcomers Perry Ellis and Ben McLemore will be instant studs. Kansas isn't going anywhere.

4. Kentucky

The Wildcats likely will lose Anthony Davis, Terrence Jones, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, and maybe Doron Lamb and Marquis Teague. One or two might stay. Darius Miller also is gone, and he was one of the best glue guys in the country. But don't think for a second that the Wildcats will dip much at all. The additions of Ryan Harrow, Archie Goodwin, Alex Poythress and Willie Cauley will keep Kentucky near the top again. And just think if Kentucky were to land Nerlens Noel and/or Shabazz Muhammad? If that occurs, don't be surprised to see Kentucky open up at No. 1 in the fall.

5. Ohio State

The Buckeyes have never disappointed under Thad Matta. This team is a consistent winner that is always near or at the top of the Big Ten and in title contention. Next season won't be any different. Jared Sullinger promised Matta two seasons so he could easily depart for the NBA. But should he after the national semifinal? Maybe not. The Buckeyes still have Aaron Craft, and Lenzelle Smith Jr. and LaQuinton Ross are going to be studs. Deshaun Thomas should be back, too. If he does return, this team will be in the thick of the title race.

6. NC State

How did this happen so fast? Is North Carolina State really the ACC favorite? Why not. North Carolina and Duke are taking on serious losses, and the Wolfpack overachieved under Mark Gottfried (and top assistant Bobby Lutz) to get to the Sweet 16. If the Wolfpack don't get too giddy about leaving (will C.J. Leslie remain?), they should be the favorite in the conference. Gottfried has one of the top recruiting classes in the country with Rodney Purvis, T.J. Warren and Tyler Lewis. So get ready, Raleigh. You might just have the ACC favorite.

7. Michigan State

The Spartans lose Big Ten player of the year Draymond Green, Brandon Wood and Austin Thornton. But don't ever dismiss a Tom Izzo-coached team. Branden Dawson will be back, and so will Travis Trice. The Spartans don't ever lack for talent and a top-10 freshmen class is on the way. And if you think Michigan State is going to slide under Izzo, you haven't been following the program.

8. Michigan

The Wolverines will be in the top 10 if Trey Burke returns to school. He should. He would join freshman stud Mitch McGary and Tim Hardaway Jr., and a loaded class that also includes ESPNU 100 recruits Glenn Robinson Jr., and Nik Stauskas. The Wolverines have had a few defections, and that has disrupted a bit of their flow. But John Beilein has figured out the Big Ten, so Michigan will once again be in the mix.

9. Florida

The Gators have a real shot to be an SEC title contender if Bradley Beal decides to stay put. Patric Young has only scratched the surface of his potential. Losing Erving Walker and his quick shooting might not be such a horrible thing. Kenny Boynton played deep into March two years in a row and should lead this squad. Erik Murphy is maturing and has improved his game. Recruiting is going well as always for the Gators. This program had a minor dip post-2007 but that is clearly no longer an issue.

10. Baylor

The Bears definitely will lose Quincy Acy. But what would happen if Baylor didn't lose Perry Jones III and/or Quincy Miller? This team would be in contention for No. 1. It's unlikely they'll retain both, but Pierre Jackson and Brady Heslip should form one of the top backcourts in the country. And the Bears continue to recruit as well as any school. Adding Isaiah Austin is huge. Baylor has become a consistent Big 12 title contender with Kansas and that doesn't appear to be ending.

Kegr8er
Reactions:

Post by Kegr8er »

I agree...Indiana is my favorite to be #1 next year. Welcome back fuckers!!! :)
jsence2
Reactions:

Post by jsence2 »

Kegr8er wrote:I agree...Indiana is my favorite to be #1 next year. Welcome back fuckers!!! :)

Three of the top four......Tobbaco Road ain't got shit on Kentuckiana!

UclaMac
Reactions:

Post by UclaMac »

plasma1896 wrote:enjoy the moment kentucky fans! give it 2 years before they have to take down the banner ;)

I couldnt have said it better so I quoted this post lol!
fsupenguin
Reactions:

Post by fsupenguin »

jsence2 wrote:
Kegr8er wrote:I agree...Indiana is my favorite to be #1 next year. Welcome back fuckers!!! :)

Really? How many people here were alive to see Indiana win there last championship?
LetsGoPeay
Reactions:

Post by LetsGoPeay »

fsupenguin wrote:
jsence2 wrote:

Really? How many people here were alive to see Indiana win there last championship?
Don't ever lump us in with that "commonwealth" down there.

Keith Smart, Steve Alford, Ricky Calloway beeyatch!

But seriously, Gary Harris is going to be tremendous for MSU and if Dawson comes back healthy they'll have two of the best athletes in the Big Ten.
LetsGoPeay
Reactions:

Post by LetsGoPeay »

sammy33 wrote:
jsence2 wrote:Fourteen long years....I forgot how great this felt.

I wish to God I didn't have to work tomorrow, or I'd be in Lexington for the celebration.

:D

So many drinks. So glad I could enjoy this night with so many friends.
The celebration in Lexington was immediate and wild, as one person was shot and several more arrested in the hours after the victory. The shooter was quickly acquitted, however, when it was proved that someone had got him "all riled up" on banjo pickin,' the most common cause of violence in Kentucky. The banjoist was found and executed after a show trial.
DRiccio21
Reactions:

Post by DRiccio21 »

there is no college hoops next season.

season is cancelled... see you in 2013/2014
LetsGoPeay
Reactions:

Post by LetsGoPeay »

DRiccio21 wrote:there is no college hoops next season.

season is cancelled... see you in 2013/2014
Joining Ray Rucker on the beach huh? Makes sense since you've got a nice new one to lounge around on.
packsyD22
Reactions:

Post by packsyD22 »

Anthony Davis stat line considering he only had one FG was very impressive last night. I can see why he may be the first pick however he needs to work on his scoring ability big time if he wants to warrant bein the first pick overall.

Was also impressed with what a good FT stroke he has for a big man.
jsence2
Reactions:

Post by jsence2 »

packsyD22 wrote:he needs to work on his scoring ability big time if he wants to warrant bein the first pick overall.

This may be one of the most uninformed opinions I've ever read. Way to base that on one game.

shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

jsence2 wrote:
packsyD22 wrote:he needs to work on his scoring ability big time if he wants to warrant bein the first pick overall.

This may be one of the most uninformed opinions I've ever read. Way to base that on one game.

More hyperbole from Jsence.
packsyD22
Reactions:

Post by packsyD22 »

jsence2 wrote:

I've watched them play fifteen plus times this season. Sorry his offensive game needs work.

EDIT: his jumper is decent but when his back is to the basket he seems below average to me. I'm talkin in terms of good defenders not the UGA's and South Carolinas of the world.
Last edited by packsyD22 on Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jsence2
Reactions:

Post by jsence2 »

shel311 wrote:
jsence2 wrote:

More baiting from Shel....

Guy has easily his worst offensive game of the season (two nights after going for 18 points on 7/8 shooting, 4/6 from the line, and then getting 18 on 6/9 shooting, 6/8 from line in Elite Eight) and "he needs to work on his scoring ability big time if he wants to warrant bein the first pick overall". Do you realize that he shot over 60% from the floor as a whole, and over 60% from the floor on face-up jump shots? I think Tim Duncan did pretty well with that kind of game, didn't he Pat?

packsyD22
Reactions:

Post by packsyD22 »

jsence2 wrote:
shel311 wrote:
jsence2 wrote:

More baiting from Shel....

Guy has easily his worst offensive game of the season (two nights after going for 18 points on 7/8 shooting, 4/6 from the line, and then getting 18 on 6/9 shooting, 6/8 from line in Elite Eight) and "he needs to work on his scoring ability big time if he wants to warrant bein the first pick overall". Do you realize that he shot over 60% from the floor as a whole, and over 60% from the floor on face-up jump shots? I think Tim Duncan did pretty well with that kind of game, didn't he Pat?
Look I have complimented the guy but now you have compared him to Tim Duncan and said he handles the ball like a PG which I also must disagree with. Your opinion as usual is biased. I don't really care as time
Will tell about his offensive game in the league but it certainly isnt at the level of a good scoring PF in the league.
DRiccio21
Reactions:

Post by DRiccio21 »

i am with Jsence on this one.

but lets be easy on 'he's shooting 60% on face up jump shots'. he gets most of his points within 5 feet of the hoop but he has shown a nice stroke.

he's a big. Almost every big that wasn't an overwhelming phsyical presence (like Shaq) has had to learn how to score in the NBA... the game completely changes when you go from being the biggest/strongest guy to another guy. for guards the game doesn't change as much... dribbling, shooting and passing is (to an extent) the same at every level so so you can say that about any big man, it takes bigs 3-6 years to 'get it'.
jsence2
Reactions:

Post by jsence2 »

How is it biased to say that he can handle it like a PG when.....

....wait for it.....

.....HE WAS A POINT GUARD UNTIL HE HIT A GROWTH SPURT TWO YEARS AGO????

Seriously, do you do any research at all? And I didn't compare him to the level of Tim Duncan, stop twisting my words; I said that he shot over 60% on the face-up jumpers, and he hits from midrange, which is what Duncan helped make his living off of. A guy like that, with his explosive ability, is a great triple-threat position guy--he forces you to guard him on the jumper, and he can take you off the dribble at the same time. I'm done speaking w you if you can't agree w that assessment.

And Dave, that should be read "he shot 60% of the face-up jumpers he took", not that he shot over 60% and most of what he took were face-up jumpers.

packsyD22
Reactions:

Post by packsyD22 »

I am well aware he was a pg until his spurt. I'm well aware his high school team sucked. I am well aware of a lot of things.

Look I've formulated an opinion on his offensive ability and how I think it will translate early in his career. I think he's an excellent rebounder defender and unlike cousins before him isnt some punk bitch who won't continue to work on his game.

I simply have an opinion based on what I've seen this season and although I'm sure he will get better none of us really know. So simmer down my man....I'm sure he will be a fine nba player....but I think he will struggle to score at the next level early.
DRiccio21
Reactions:

Post by DRiccio21 »

thats impressive then.

what range are we talking? 3-9? 10-15? or just anything that wasn't a dunk or layup?

Return to “Off Topic Forum”