Strategy question

All NDL or video game football related conversations go here.
Ank
Reactions:

Re: Strategy question

Post by Ank »

shel311 wrote:
Ank wrote:I think using strategy will cut down on guys just setting back and throwing non-stop all game.
But why do we need to cut down on this?

Cause the staple of the NDL since season 1 has been mix up your plays and try to use as much of your PB as possible...When a guy throws the ball 45 times and runs it 6 that is not mixing your plays up at all....And I think the reason everyone is passing so much is because the defensive pass coverage is that of a pee-wee football.
NCSUholmey
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by NCSUholmey »

texasfan4444 wrote:the better games i have been involved in are all ZERO on strategy points.....PERIOD.

In fact, I make it a point to thank my opponent afterwards if they have zero points.
while 100% agreed, I am not going to dock someone if I see the points come from a setup play. If I see jump snap or any of the others, then thats where the issue is.
trendon
Reactions:

Post by trendon »

I throw it because I can't run.

Those who know how I like to play know how much that hurts.
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

Ank wrote:
shel311 wrote:
Ank wrote:I think using strategy will cut down on guys just setting back and throwing non-stop all game.

Cause the staple of the NDL since season 1 has been mix up your plays and try to use as much of your PB as possible...When a guy throws the ball 45 times and runs it 6 that is not mixing your plays up at all....And I think the reason everyone is passing so much is because the defensive pass coverage is that of a pee-wee football.

But should we do the same thing for guys who run 35 times and pass 7 per game?

I still don't see a problem if a guy mixes up his passes with throwing 45 and running 6, but that's just me.
Bernie32
Reactions:

Post by Bernie32 »

use it all you want on me...And if I use it 10 times, 9 times nothing happens I get 0 points but no one knows the better, but if I get that 1 INT , I get 15 points. I usually only use it on 3rd and long, AND I notice nothing. If someone breaks options on me, I will set that too. whether I want the QB or HB contained. Haven't really touched the other stuff.
NCSUholmey
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by NCSUholmey »

shel311 wrote:But should we do the same thing for guys who run 35 times and pass 7 per game?

I still don't see a problem if a guy mixes up his passes with throwing 45 and running 6, but that's just me.
Typically you can pick up on someones tendency when they are exclusively pass or run teams. Sometimes you pick up that they tend to throw left or right, or key in on the TE on short down pass plays.

In one game that I was in for NDL in the last 2 seasons, I picked up on someones tendency to ignore the single WR on trips formations, and would call some plays with a corner blitz and flip the play to send the guy on the non-trips side. Absolutely nothing wrong with it because the ball was getting spread around the field to all the WR, but I was able to pick up on something small like that, and use it to my advantage while in pass coverage
Ank
Reactions:

Post by Ank »

With the run I guess its not as noticable...There are a ton of different types of runs, and it don't look like the same play...but with the pass there is only 4-5 patterns.

I dont care if a guy runs 50 times a game on me...as long as I see a mixture and there is enough runs to make it look different... If he shows me a pitch, dive, counter, option, FB run, end around, sweep, QB draw, Option keeper, trap, iso... whatever.

But when you pass 40 times a game it seems like your seeing the same 4 patterns over and over and over... cause that is all EA has put on this game...4-5 patterns so there is a big difference in running 30 times a game to passing 40 times a game.

See what Im saying?

So I guess some use strategy and some don't use strategy. Thats what I was asking.
6ftdeep
Reactions:

Post by 6ftdeep »

Ank wrote:
shel311 wrote:

This may be true,, but what if a guy is running the R and S book.. you want him to run 20 draws in a game and pass 20 times. Or lets say a guy is running flex book you want him to run 20 run plays and 20 pass plays that consist of play action option pass, or some kind of drag combo.

I mean if they are a passing team they are a passing team, if they are a running team they are a running team. It doesn't matter why they are that type of team, that is what they find works for them. As long as the guy is running different formations and is really trying to mix up his plays, then why is it so bad for him to run 40 times or pass 40 times. I mean if he just ran toss 20 times or counter 25 times in his 30 to 40 run plays yea that is not moderation, of if a guy who passes a lot just ran 4 verticals on 45 to 60 percent of passes, or some kind of shallow cross concept 50 to 60 percent of all his pass plays then yeah that is not moderation. But if they are really trying to mix their plays up for run, option, slam, dive, stretch, counters, blast, power Os from differ formations that is moderation. If the guy attempted to run verticals, shallow cross concepts, digs, smash , stick, wheels. floods, and doing a good job of mixing up these concepts from differ formations to form his passing game throughout then that is mixing it up. Is it not?

I never understood the argument he runs to much or he passes too much.

I personally and this is just me some may agree most probably wont.
I only have a big problem with 2 things..
Most aggressive strats cause they don't feel balanced to me. The reward rate is much higher then the risk rate to me.
Going for it on 4th down, just because you are allowed to by the rules, but in most cases teams would not go for it in that situation. IE 4th down and short inside the 10 early in game and you go for it cause you know odds in your favor instead of taking the points.
Daw1git
Reactions:

Post by Daw1git »

league wide since last season and seems to be worse this season all I am seeing is twins/tight/bunch sets to easy read man or zone and whats bad is everyone gains yards everytime man defense is run because the CPU defender just won't cover Crap even when I was UF.Locomotion has basically made LB's dead weight against the pass so league wide we are seeing more and more 3-3-5 and 4-2-5 to make up for this.
if I am not mistaken didn't we go to AA because the passing was 2 tough?so could 6ft be right when he called it?
I know in alot of games I can easily pass for 600-700 per game (normally do it in online dynastys) with nothing but passing but it seems to take the fun away from me so if someone wants to come out and air it out on my A** then i guess that's there way of having fun and more playbooks on the game are actually set up that way.
But that strategy stuff is horrible man
Jump snap is = tecmo bowl
play the pass give your dline another boost to jumping the snap as well as coverage bonus
run commit = tecmo Bowl
Spot light a player doesn't work if any leaves the player even more open
hell i turn stip on conser and they still trying to pull it out

so i would just prepare myself to be ready for the evolution of football in real world and virtual which is spread and passing.
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

Agree with everything you wrote pretty much.
6ftdeep wrote:if a guy who passes a lot just ran 4 verticals on 45 to 60 percent of passes.

I swear this play should just be banned, lol. I have completely taken this play out of my playbook, personally. 3rd and 10+, it seems like 90% of guys will run this every time, and there is virtually zero way to stop it for the most part. Every once in a while, my DB may cover one of the 2 WRs who will undoubtedly be wide open, so if I cover the other one, I get lucky and make the stop. Run that play against zone, works every time.

I can't stand that play. I'
trendon
Reactions:

Post by trendon »

I run that play at least once a game. However, pat on my back, I actually throw the fucking thing deep and it is to a wideout. It is not a two-step drop rifle to the slot man for 11 yards.
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

trendon wrote:I run that play at least once a game. However, pat on my back, I actually throw the fucking thing deep and it is to a wideout. It is not a two-step drop rifle to the slot man for 11 yards.
Yea, the 2 outside WRs, there routes aren't bad.

It's the 2 slot guys, or slot and TE guy. The one guy closest to the line will be open EVERY single time. You have to manually cover him, then just pray that your DB covers the other guy, which he does less than 50% of the time.

Against zone, wide open.

F that play.
trendon
Reactions:

Post by trendon »

Against Navy, I completed a TE streak where I hit him about four yards into the streak and I gained twenty. I felt filthy. I ran the same play about two plays later and made him block.

Cheapest shit ever.
BIGmike
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by BIGmike »

Offense in general is too easy in this years game, but that is how EA works. I remember offense was insanely easy in 04 and tough as hell in NCAA 2005. Just got to roll with it.
Ank
Reactions:

Post by Ank »

Yea..I dont know how many 3rd and 11+ yards to go Ive given up on this play.
Or I swear if I score and Im up by less then 7 and there is at least 30 seconds left I know Ive lost the game.....that verticle play gives me nightmare's.
Ank
Reactions:

Post by Ank »

BIGmike wrote:Offense in general is too easy in this years game, but that is how EA works. I remember offense was insanely easy in 04 and tough as hell in NCAA 2005. Just got to roll with it.
If it is that easy (and I agree its easy) why can't we try Heisman?
trendon
Reactions:

Post by trendon »

BIGmike wrote:Offense in general is too easy in this years game, but that is how EA works. I remember offense was insanely easy in 04 and tough as hell in NCAA 2005. Just got to roll with it.
You are correct. '05 was retarded, though. If you wanted to run the option, you had to deal with your QB getting tackled by the DT before he could take a step every third play.
NCSUholmey
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by NCSUholmey »

Even if my opponent has not run it all game, that is the play I call my defense to stop on third down.

I can only imagine how its used in the lobby games, I assume roll-out hit the inside guy about 20 yards downfield, repeat
Nole4real
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Nole4real »

Ank wrote:
If it is that easy (and I agree its easy) why can't we try Heisman?

LOL, this whole thread =

that being said, i officially dont give a shit heis or aa anymore and am not saying shit next year and will just play whatever but i know aj's head just exploded :lol: :lol: :lol:
beercop
Reactions:

Post by beercop »

Ank wrote:Yea..I dont know how many 3rd and 11+ yards to go Ive given up on this play.
Or I swear if I score and Im up by less then 7 and there is at least 30 seconds left I know Ive lost the game.....that verticle play gives me nightmare's.
Never fails. I score with 30 seconds or more and they will march down the field and score a td. What do most of you run on defense? I was thinking it was me but apparently it is a league wide problem.
ImageImage

Return to “NDL Open Forum”