MLB14 The SHOW "Cut Scenes" Explained

This is the place for all Baseball games played in the NDL.
I_S33M_THAB33T_U
Reactions:

MLB14 The SHOW "Cut Scenes" Explained

Post by I_S33M_THAB33T_U »

Hey guys,

I think the word is getting out on how much of a stickler I will be about anyone caught mashing the "x" to skip over cutscenes in the game. For some of you, it's redundancy, but for many, it's immersing yourself into the complete experience.

There are good reasons why I like this. Pitcher comparisons for one, or roughly around the 80 pitch mark, we get to see a breakdown of pitches....sometimes by number thrown per inning, and sometimes by a % of how the pitcher is using his arsenal (IE: Last game I played, a pitcher was going to his FB 55% of the time). There's some good stuff that I enjoy going through, even when I'm losing.

So, why don't I post this to help explain this a bit more on what should happen in this particular Broadcast league:

- First, unless agreed, the beginning cutscenes should not be rushed through, as your opponent may want to see your Starter's Stats, or see your defense to keep in mind (IE: Ichiro in right, caution trying for third).

- Walkups: No cutting at all. Everyone deserves to see the stats. Sometimes it reminds them who might be up after without having to pause and check.

- In at bats, I feel it is best that only the BATTER be the one who skips when to get to the next pitch. My best advice is to wait for the pitcher to get the ball back, which takes no more than 2 seconds. You don't need to wait the 10 or 15 seconds it could take to get back in the box, but please at least give until after the pitcher gets the ball back in his glove before the batter presses the "x".

- After a play has taken place, a replay may occur. It should be the DEFENSE who decides to skip the replay. My advice is to let the cutscene get to where the play occurs (IE: ball just gets past the diving fielder), then hit "x" to save a few seconds. If the defense wishes or considers a replay to be routine, they can choose to skip it. Same with if you're just watching the runner trot off the field after making an out. Same advice as pitching...count to 3 seconds, then advance.

- Also after a play, this is when key game info may happen. Please allow enough time for any information to be processed.

- Home Runs: If a Home Run occurs, it should again be the OFFENSE who decides to skip through the cutscene. Please be respectful and not rub it in, especially if you're having a good day at the plate. In real life, the trot occurs, but I know some appreciate the in-game festivities (IE: Scoreboard says "PAPI" when Ortiz hits a blast at Fenway, etc)...hell, some just love the boos they get hitting one on enemy turf! No one wants to let up a homer, but allow the team who hit it the choice of how much they want to see of the celebration. And don't take it personal...you get the same luxury when you hit one!

IMPORTANT!! The Gentlemen's Agreement! While I expect everyone to be courteous and play by the above, I understand there are times you're just squeezing one in before real life calls. It MUST be agreed to before you play that you will both be skipping things, but you should agree on what won't be skipped. For example, if someone says they only have an hour before work, I won't play them, because I know it means they'll rush through everything, and it won't be a quality matchup for either side. When I play, I want to enjoy baseball...win or lose (that and sip the beer I generally have with me!). But if someone else agrees to play and says they will skip everything except the Walkups (which should NEVER be skipped), then you are both allowed because you agreed.

Violations:

Anyone found to be in violation of this will first be warned, and then can be subject to either a resolved loss of the game in question, or removal of the league, as this can be considered a violation of the "simulation experience".
ajalves
Site Admin
Reactions:

Re: MLB14 The SHOW "Cut Scenes" Explained

Post by ajalves »

To all my future opponents, you have my permission to jam through cut scenes. just dont quick pitch please.

~ thanks
Downing11
Reactions:

Post by Downing11 »

ajalves wrote:To all my future opponents, you have my permission to jam through cut scenes. just dont quick pitch please.

~ thanks
Same here, real baseball is long enough, I don't need my video game baseball to take nearly as long.
ajalves
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by ajalves »

ill ask before the game, if my opponents wants to watch each and every cut scene, i wont button through them.

if they dont care, X button it is!
I_S33M_THAB33T_U
Reactions:

ajalves wrote:ill ask before the game, if my opponents wants to watch each and every cut scene, i wont button through them.

if they dont care, X button it is!
I am not saying you need to watch the whole thing, Most are pointless and can be skipped, BUt also doing so adds to the lag. Beginning of the game and walks up should never be skipped regardless.

I usually just go with, Skip all but the 2 above mentioned, and obviously HR's controlled by the batter.
AntDogg1963
Reactions:

Post by AntDogg1963 »

I like these rules. I don't have to watch ever single cut scene but I do like to see the stats and stuff like that. There's no way I can remember every bàtter in the league. :lol:
Season 11: Temple 3-9
Season 12: Georgia Tech 4-8
Season 13: Troy 5-7
Season 14: Troy
jsence2
Reactions:

Post by jsence2 »

Ditto. I don't want to sit through a ton of cut scenes, that adds about 10-15 min to a 9 inning game easily.

S14: N Texas 7-1
S15: Wake 8-5
S16-21: Washington 9-4, 10-3, 8-5, 9-4, 7-6, 6-7
S22: Ohio 8-5
S23: ECU 12-2
S24-26: Kentucky 8-5, 5-7, 5-7
Career: 102-61
I_S33M_THAB33T_U
Reactions:

jsence2 wrote:Ditto. I don't want to sit through a ton of cut scenes, that adds about 10-15 min to a 9 inning game easily.
Then you can enjoy the lag that follows with mashing through everything.

Skipping the scence after a few seconds doesn't harm anything, But just mashing through everything super fast, is pointless. And it add's about 5-10 mins total for the whole game, Last year the fast play was just to fast, You saw nothing and I personally enjoy the batter walk ups and watching key plays on replay.

But like it's stated, as long as both agree to mash away then you can have at it. Just dont skip walk up's and allow batter to control HR's. Random BS replays I skip also.

You can ask Beefy, we can play 2 games in about 2 hours playing this way. Sometimes faster, depending on the situation of the game.
VTrunNgun
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by VTrunNgun »

I love the spirit of this thread. Sony does a great job with intangible details in this game so I think it's cool to acknowledge the fine work at hand and enjoy the experience.

Good stuff
I_S33M_THAB33T_U
Reactions:

VTrunNgun wrote:I love the spirit of this thread. Sony does a great job with intangible details in this game so I think it's cool to acknowledge the fine work at hand and enjoy the experience.

Good stuff
TY

Return to “Baseball”