PGA Tour 2k21

This is the place for all Golf games played in the NDL.
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Re: PGA Tour 2k21

Post by ReignOnU »

I've had a horrible start to the season and I think there are a few issues for me.

#1 - Swing has been really inconsistent. I've got a push to the right at the top of the circle and I think it's because I'm holding the stick up at the finish. So I switched the method again and now I'm using more of a "flick" up on the stick and taking my thumb off it to let it recenter. Seems better after some practice rounds, but still freaks me out a bit because I do it so fast and I'm just waiting to be punished for it.

#2 - Bag setup. My previous bag setup has a 293 driver, a 243 wood, and a 215 3 iron at the top of the bag. It was great to take advantage of extra distance and I had read that having the 3 iron was supposed to provide an advantage with drives into the rough/sand. For irons and wedges, I actually just used what I play IRL (Mizuno JPX 921 / Vokey SM8s) and just made sure they were spaced out at a reasonable rate.

I spent some time yesterday tinkering with the setup, hoping that it helps me out. This is what I came up with:

Driver - 287: Took a little bit of distance off to get a much better swing plane and slightly better foregiveness. Hoping to keep more tee shots in the short grass. My driving accuracy has been about the worst of the group lately.

3H (229) & 4H (220): I was having a hell of a time controlling the longer 3 wood and I think the few times I pulled out a great shot with it or gained distance on a long par 5, were more than offset by the number of times that I'd red-fast it and lose it into a bunker/deep rough... or even hazard. As for the 3I, the 4H is performing every bit as good out of the rough/fairway bunker. There might be a slightly larger distance penalty, but it's hardly noticeable and if I can keep the drive in play more frequently, I should be better off. Both hybrids have a fairly generous swing plane.

Irons - I changed the irons (I think still Mizuno) to a set with more distance and larger swing plane. I believe the lowest distance control. This just closes the gap on the top range where I was previously 215 (3I) down to 182 (4I) in the other set. The downside is now I've got a huge gap between my irons/wedges (150 to 114) due to that change.

Wedges - I tested 3 extreme sets yesterday and I think I'm going to go with a near max distance control, high swing plane set for the next event or 2. I've been complete garbage when I'm anything more than 5yds off of the green. Getting up and down has seemed impossible as of late. So while I completely ignored distance control (and shot shaping) on my irons through driver, I'm the opposite on wedges. I noticed when I'd try to hit a pitch shot, the slightest miss either left me 20' short or launched me to the back of the green. So I'm messing around with having a larger sweet spot for distance and using the pitch shot to land it short and roll to the pin. Even without spin control, it seems easy enough to adjust the loft/backspin and stop it if necessary.

The 1 issue this has created is that I have a ~35yd gap between my 9I and my PW. But in my 2 test rounds, I was able to fill that gap going to pitch shots with my shorter irons. It gives me a pretty nice range of distances that I can cover with full shots from about 65 yds to 230yds with this set up, which that should be better in the long-run.

/end rambling
PSN: ReignOnU
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Post by ReignOnU »

1st tournament with the changes and it turned out pretty good. I'm currently 8 strokes behind Dave, which was the difference in our 2nd rounds. I really struggled that round with some close putts and 2 really bad pitch shots that cost me. I also think that -30 from Dave is a great tournament and will be very tough to beat. Great job!
ajalves
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by ajalves »

Dave sucks!

I was considering putting together a 10 man (or however many guys we have) match play. It'd be run here on the boards and you'd make a time to play a head to head skins game with your opponent. Let me know if you're interested in something like that
Whittness10
Reactions:

Post by Whittness10 »

I'd make time for that. I've been slacking lately on getting rounds in. I hardly get on at all during the week anymore.
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Post by ReignOnU »

I think it would be a lot of fun. Would also be up for any other game mode. I think they offer 2v2 options.
Whittness10
Reactions:

Post by Whittness10 »

If we were to do a match play tournament, I'd suggest double elimination, that way whoever played SixpackDan wouldn't automatically be eliminated at the first tee.
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

Whittness10 wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:11 pm If we were to do a match play tournament, I'd suggest double elimination, that way whoever played SixpackDan wouldn't automatically be eliminated at the first tee.
Just have him play me every tourney. I'm not beating anyone so it would just be a bye for whoever plays me and Dan will win 99% of the time against almost everyone here
ImageImageImage
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Post by ReignOnU »

Well... not to complicate it, but we do have some score history. Could easily take the last 10-15 rounds and adjust for average score to par.
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Post by ReignOnU »

Wouldn't work in match play though. Doh. It's early. I played GT7 until the early hours. Don't mind me.
BFiVL
Reactions:

Post by BFiVL »

I’d like to scramble. Match up by season rankings. Dan with last place and so on.
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

First time I've played a round in 2+ weeks. 1st round shot a -8 and was -12 thru 2, thought I had a decent shot at not finishing last (we don't count Ryan and his +84 or whatever he shot). I think I shot -4 total in the final 2 rounds. Oh well, not bad getting back into it.

And I am all down for some Scrambles. Kinda like the old NDL Cup
ImageImageImage
DRiccio21
Reactions:

Post by DRiccio21 »

George you played well this last tourney, nice job
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

DRiccio21 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:05 am George you played well this last tourney, nice job
Thanks.

I am so hit and miss it is crazy. Bama and I played our Beer league tourney, I shoot -1 the first round and I was all over the place and struggled to get that -1, second round shot -7 and would have been much better had I not screwed up and shot back to back bogeys that threw me off for a couple of holes.

The tourney before that was probably the hardest second round I have ever played. Was -4 under going into the second round and at one point was +4 before finally breaking even on the tourney.

I have noticed that if I switch controllers I need to recalibrate my swing, otherwise I am slow/fast on damn near every shot.

What is everyone's secret to figure out if the ball is above/below your feet? I cannot figure it out unless it is completely obvious
ImageImageImage
DRiccio21
Reactions:

Post by DRiccio21 »

I just look at the angle my guy is standing.

the controller you're playing with definitely has an effect on your performance. i had a controller when i first started playing and i guess it was more worn out and loose and i swung all over the place and then like 6 months ago my bro got a new ps and gave me the controller for his old one and i instantly got better with the newer controller.
ajalves
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by ajalves »

my controller if essentially broken. it wont backswing. or at least it takes 4 -5 tries to backswing. guess i will have to try to get a new one soon.

I havent been able to finish rounds lately its that bad.

My issue is it works "fine" on other games

I wish they made heavy duty controllers. I have always gone through controllers like crazy and always wind up having stick drift or stickiness
DRiccio21
Reactions:

Post by DRiccio21 »

Here we gooooo….
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

DRiccio21 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:16 pm Here we gooooo….
Love how the OOTP rivalry extends over here
ImageImageImage
DRiccio21
Reactions:

Post by DRiccio21 »

Everyone must be playing those beer league tourneys 😂
wdoupis
Reactions:

Post by wdoupis »

I’ll get back in it. Hopefully be back in the states in a week or so. PlayStation been packed up the last month
DRiccio21
Reactions:

Post by DRiccio21 »

Saw Dan back on the course last night.

Still trying to find our fearless leader AJ tho!

Return to “Golf”