PGA Tour 2k21

This is the place for all Golf games played in the NDL.
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Re: PGA Tour 2k21

Post by ReignOnU »

wdoupis wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:27 pm That the speed you are going forward on your swing
Just in case it's not obvious, it's tempo/timing. The top is similar to the FG kick window you'd be used to from football games, but instead of wide left, left, middle, right, wide right, you have very fast, fast, perfect, slow, very slow.

But... you don't have to use the in game set timing. You can go into the menus and calibrate your swing. So if you are a naturally fast or naturally slow swinger, you can adjust it to fit your style.
PSN: ReignOnU
ajalves
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by ajalves »

just go in and "calibrate' your swing and then its just about being consistent

so if when you are calibrating you push forward on the left stick 'fast' ...that will actually be your normal

as long as thats always how you do it, pulling back and pushing forward, then hypothetically you'll always hit it 'perfect'

its how everyone swing can be unique in the game
ajalves
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by ajalves »

guess i should have read what Reign said ...so do that
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Post by ReignOnU »

The course that George has in his Beer League society is my favorite so far. Awesome visuals, really have to play (and hit) the right shot off of the tee, and the approach shots are challenging risk/reward shots. I smashed the course on my first round, but my second has been more of a struggle and this course would be a nightmare if the winds were 15+.

Broken Locket (Final Ver)
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

ReignOnU wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:32 pm The course that George has in his Beer League society is my favorite so far. Awesome visuals, really have to play (and hit) the right shot off of the tee, and the approach shots are challenging risk/reward shots. I smashed the course on my first round, but my second has been more of a struggle and this course would be a nightmare if the winds were 15+.

Broken Locket (Final Ver)
1st round shot a -7, with two bogeys. 2nd round started with a bogey and then 3 pars and then went on a streak of 7 birdies with an eagle thrown in there. Had a par and then a birdie. Went into the last two holes with a -15, had a double and bogey those last two holes to finish -12. Fun course and one AJ should definitely add to that league. Would love to see it as a 4 round Major
ImageImageImage
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Post by ReignOnU »

Some really smart course design went into the course. You'll see the very obvious landing spot for your 3 wood and you can easily take it. But your 2nd shot is going to be long, with an elevation change and tough to hit. You can take the dangerous driver shot that's going to leave you a wedge to mid-iron, but you've got to his the curve on the shot just right and be accurate, because you could cut a corner short, cook it through the fairway or even hit a tree. I also found that if I played my driver a little short, I'd often have to draw/fade the approach a little and do it right up against a tree line. So I had to be aware of the inside and outside edges of the curved shots.
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

What is a good shot to get out of a deep green side bunker? Splash doesn't seem to get high enough to get over the lip
ImageImageImage
Whittness10
Reactions:

Post by Whittness10 »

Flop shot maybe?
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Post by ReignOnU »

GeorgesGoons wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:08 pm What is a good shot to get out of a deep green side bunker? Splash doesn't seem to get high enough to get over the lip
I still use a splash shot, but you have to send it 15-20yds beyond the hole and you really have to look at the clubface to determine how it's going to come out of the bunker. This was one of the hardest shots for me get comfortable with. But the last few events, I've slid a couple of them in for chip ins.
sixpackdan101
Reactions:

Post by sixpackdan101 »

GeorgesGoons wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:08 pm What is a good shot to get out of a deep green side bunker? Splash doesn't seem to get high enough to get over the lip
Splash shot pretty much always. Hold L1, pull the left stick all the way down to set up to hit up on the ball and add some height to the trajectory. If you need more you can hold L1 and push the right stick either up or down…can’t remember which while the screen isn’t right in front of me. Right stick adds or removes loft from the club and changes the height of the shot. Both of these options also affect distance and spin so you have to take that into account. The more of either you add also makes it much harder to hit a “perfect” tempo shot (the white arc at the top shrinks).
sixpackdan101
Reactions:

Post by sixpackdan101 »

Also the higher the shot, the more it will be affected by the wind.
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

I'm having issues just getting out of the bunker when the lip is above your head. Take hole 4 on the Augusta course we just played. I hit the lip on the drive and it rolled to the bottom. The meter said to hit it at 60% and the landing spot was right at the pin. I pressed R1, and then left/right stick all the way down (higher trajectory and stops the ball) and set my meter to 75%. Swung perfect/fast, ball still hit the lip and rolled to my feet. I set up again just like the last shot but set power to 80%, since it just barely missed clearing the lip. I hit it at 87%/perfect downswing, ball hits the lip and rolls back down again. 75% or 87% the trajectory never changed and hits the lip in the same spot. I'll have to start looking at flop shots when deep in the bunker to see if that works better. I've already given up on pitch shots unless I can hit it at 100%, may have to give up on splash shots in deep bunkers
ImageImageImage
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Post by ReignOnU »

sixpackdan101 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:04 pm
Splash shot pretty much always. Hold L1, pull the left stick all the way down to set up to hit up on the ball and add some height to the trajectory. If you need more you can hold L1 and push the right stick either up or down…can’t remember which while the screen isn’t right in front of me. Right stick adds or removes loft from the club and changes the height of the shot. Both of these options also affect distance and spin so you have to take that into account. The more of either you add also makes it much harder to hit a “perfect” tempo shot (the white arc at the top shrinks).
Just making sure I'm not wrong... this is how I thought it worked:
L1 + Left Stick = Trajectory adjustment; Aim higher on the ball to decrease loft for less height; Aim lower to increase loft for more height (wind impacts this)
L1 + Right Stick = Spin adjustment; Up lets it roll out more; Down puts the backspin on it
The 2 kind of work together in that you can't deloft a club to hit a "stinger" and pull the string to back it up when it lands. I consider it about a 80/20 impact between the 2.

Also... if anyone knows... are pitch shots hardly impacted by wind and elevation? They seem to be complete outliers for me. A pitch from 100 seems to be totally different from a standard shot.
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

I thought L1+Right Stick was the trajectory and L1+Left Stick was spin. Pretty sure that is how I have been using it this whole time.
ImageImageImage
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Post by ReignOnU »

Time to grab the wedge and head to the practice area. I'm not sure 2k's terminology is a great representation of what really happens in the golf swing with this one.
dakshdar
Reactions:

Post by dakshdar »

Huh. You can use the right stick in true shot? I think I completely missed that.
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

ReignOnU wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:02 am Time to grab the wedge and head to the practice area. I'm not sure 2k's terminology is a great representation of what really happens in the golf swing with this one.
The right stick has the protractor looking thing next to it when you hit L1. I'm gonna have to go practice myself
ImageImageImage
DRiccio21
Reactions:

Post by DRiccio21 »

really looking forward to taking off the kid gloves next season. everyone is clearly good enough at this point where we don't need to be playing these settings with the power bar and stuff.

been fun to play the game again. i probably wouldn't be playing anything at all if not for NDL having a league
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

DRiccio21 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:49 am really looking forward to taking off the kid gloves next season. everyone is clearly good enough at this point where we don't need to be playing these settings with the power bar and stuff.

been fun to play the game again. i probably wouldn't be playing anything at all if not for NDL having a league
Please don't include me with that everyone comment. I am clearly not good enough for that
ImageImageImage
DRiccio21
Reactions:

Post by DRiccio21 »

Your scores won’t change much at all after about a week of getting used to it, I’m fairly certain of that.

The best guys will still be the best, it’s just gives it a more sim feeling imo

Return to “Golf”