NDL Handicap Index

This is the place for all Golf games played in the NDL.
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Re: NDL Handicap Index

Post by shel311 »

Cnasty wrote:
OracleHCR wrote:Don't forget this one:
Cnasty wrote:I'm so glad shel got the game.

Has about 10 posts since and about half are complaining about the game :lol:
That's what he does!

Probably about 50 posts, 25 complaints now including quitting the league because hes so busy.
Corey suggests things: Just suggestions

Any suggestion that runs counter to Corey's: COMPLAINER!!!

:lol:
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

FINALLY!

We understand each other. :D
DRiccio21
Reactions:

Post by DRiccio21 »

i think handicaps are unnecessary.

i 'won' the first round of the other tourney, i had no idea til Downing told me we use Handicaps to determine standings. i only go by my actual score on the game. my actual score on the game was 1 behind Downing, i felt a pretty nice sense of accomplishment knowing i beat all the rest of you bums for that one round and i still had the disappointment of knowing i missed 2 really easy putts that i could have beaten Downing.

when he told me i had 'won the round' i was pretty blah about it.

maybe i'm off on this, but i play the game cause its fun. i'm typically doing it when i'm getting home from work, needing to decompress and in the middle of doing my pushups and situps and chatting with my wife. not that i'm not trying to be competitive, i am and i really do just suck, but i'm not dying to win tournies... that has absolutely nothing to do with my motives to play.

just my opinion. i'll be playing my rounds when i remember and when i want to play a round of golf.
dakshdar
Reactions:

Post by dakshdar »

Can I get a +10 point handicap for every NCAA game next season?

Thanks in advance!
autiger730
Reactions:

Post by autiger730 »

DRiccio21 wrote:i think handicaps are unnecessary.

i 'won' the first round of the other tourney, i had no idea til Downing told me we use Handicaps to determine standings. i only go by my actual score on the game. my actual score on the game was 1 behind Downing, i felt a pretty nice sense of accomplishment knowing i beat all the rest of you bums for that one round and i still had the disappointment of knowing i missed 2 really easy putts that i could have beaten Downing.

maybe i'm off on this, but i play the game cause its fun. i'm typically doing it when i'm getting home from work, needing to decompress and in the middle of doing my pushups and situps and chatting with my wife. not that i'm not trying to be competitive, i am and i really do just suck, but i'm not dying to win tournies... that has absolutely nothing to do with my motives to play.

just my opinion. i'll be playing my rounds when i remember and when i want to play a round of golf.
You're going to be close to winning the tourney. I think your total with the handicap is like -33. My theory is that if we lower the difficulty, everyone is going to be shooting around -15 to -20. So, if we are going to give guys strokes to get them to hyper-unrealistic scores, why not just have everyone really shooting those scores? Wouldn't you like it better if you weren't basically handed a win, and you actually shot a score capable of winning?

I'm sure we'll hear "well, then we're making game too easy". So you want the game to be hard, but you want someone to give you a bunch of strokes so you have a fake score? What's "hard" about that? Doesn't make sense to me.
PSN & 360: AUTiger730
DRiccio21
Reactions:

Post by DRiccio21 »

i think you're thinking too much about results and not enough about the enjoyment of actually just playing the game.

i'd rather shoot +20 on a realistic level than shoot -20 on an unrealistic one.
OracleHCR
Reactions:

Post by OracleHCR »

autiger730 wrote:

You're going to be close to winning the tourney. I think your total with the handicap is like -33. My theory is that if we lower the difficulty, everyone is going to be shooting around -15 to -20. So, if we are going to give guys strokes to get them to hyper-unrealistic scores, why not just have everyone really shooting those scores? Wouldn't you like it better if you weren't basically handed a win, and you actually shot a score capable of winning?

I'm sure we'll hear "well, then we're making game too easy". So you want the game to be hard, but you want someone to give you a bunch of strokes so you have a fake score? What's "hard" about that? Doesn't make sense to me.
Making the settings easier will not help people improve. I don't necessarily care if we stick to the handicap system or not. But playing at a harder level will help everyone improve and using a handicap now will keep interest up. Like downing has already said, as players scores get better eventually the handicaps will go down. Soon we'll all be scratch or as good as Downing anyway.
OracleHCR
Reactions:

Post by OracleHCR »

DRiccio21 wrote:i think you're thinking too much about results and not enough about the enjoyment of actually just playing the game.

Exactly. That daily tournament at Augusta was very enjoyable even though I was +2.
krgkmg
Reactions:

Post by krgkmg »

DRiccio21 wrote:i think you're thinking too much about results and not enough about the enjoyment of actually just playing the game.

I agree that I just play for the fun of playing and have no problem posting my real score. I think the thought is great to try and make us all feel like we have a chance to win a tourney but I truly think guys are getting better and just like in real golf we have good days, GREAT days, and then some REALLLY BAD days. I am really enjoying this league and want it to be the best it can be and most fun!
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

OracleHCR wrote:

Exactly. That daily tournament at Augusta was very enjoyable even though I was +2.
I agree.

But downing made the call, correct one at that, and went with what the masses wanted, and at the time, it was for settings that were a bit on the easier side.
autiger730
Reactions:

Post by autiger730 »

OracleHCR wrote:
autiger730 wrote:

Making the settings easier will not help people improve. I don't necessarily care if we stick to the handicap system or not. But playing at a harder level will help everyone improve and using a handicap now will keep interest up. Like downing has already said, as players scores get better eventually the handicaps will go down. Soon we'll all be scratch or as good as Downing anyway.
What is the incentive to get better if you know you are going to get a bunch of strokes?
OracleHCR
Reactions:

Post by OracleHCR »

You are saying we have sandbaggers? (looks at Dak) The handicaps just keep it interesting. I don't see Downing complaining and he is the main reason he implemented them. Even with the handicaps he is in the hunt every tournament. That is exactly what handicaps are for. To even the playing field. And if you look at the actual scores then the net scores, that is exactly what they are doing.
autiger730
Reactions:

Post by autiger730 »

How many people we got? 16? Make four flights of four and let everyone duke it out with people of their own skill level. Make the points system the same for each flight and keep up with an overall standings and flight standings. If you win your flight, you move up the next season, finish last go down a flight. Have the top four in overall standings play match play for the League championship at the end of the season.
autiger730
Reactions:

Post by autiger730 »

OracleHCR wrote:You are saying we have sandbaggers? (looks at Dak) The handicaps just keep it interesting. I don't see Downing complaining and he is the main reason he implemented them. Even with the handicaps he is in the hunt every tournament. That is exactly what handicaps are for. To even the playing field. And if you look at the actual scores then the net scores, that is exactly what they are doing.
No, sandbagging would be tanking it purposefully to get your scores down to get more strokes in the last few tournies. I'm saying some might just trot along, just thinking well I'm gonna get strokes so it doesn't matter if I actually get any better or not.
OracleHCR
Reactions:

Post by OracleHCR »

Where was this when Downing was asking for suggestions?
OracleHCR
Reactions:

Post by OracleHCR »

autiger730 wrote:
OracleHCR wrote:You are saying we have sandbaggers? (looks at Dak) The handicaps just keep it interesting. I don't see Downing complaining and he is the main reason he implemented them. Even with the handicaps he is in the hunt every tournament. That is exactly what handicaps are for. To even the playing field. And if you look at the actual scores then the net scores, that is exactly what they are doing.
No, sandbagging would be tanking it purposefully to get your scores down to get more strokes in the last few tournies. I'm saying some might just trot along, just thinking well I'm gonna get strokes so it doesn't matter if I actually get any better or not.
Do you actually think anybody playing with us is doing that?
autiger730
Reactions:

Post by autiger730 »

OracleHCR wrote:
autiger730 wrote:
Do you actually think anybody playing with us is doing that?
First part, no. Second part, maybe.
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

OracleHCR wrote:Where was this when Downing was asking for suggestions?
It was stated, pretty sure. But it was the minority opinion.
autiger730
Reactions:

Post by autiger730 »

shel311 wrote:
OracleHCR wrote:Where was this when Downing was asking for suggestions?
It was stated, pretty sure. But it was the minority opinion.
I think flights were brought up, too. Just no one said anything about an actual plan for them. That's how all the real tournaments are done around here. I've never even heard of handicaps being used in an actual competition.
OracleHCR
Reactions:

Post by OracleHCR »

Handicaps aren't used on any tours or sanctioned competitions. But almost every country club tournaments use them. The first flight are the scratch or near scratch golfers. After that the flights are grouped by handicap and handicaps are used in scoring.

Return to “Golf”