NDL Handicap Index

This is the place for all Golf games played in the NDL.
autiger730
Reactions:

Re: NDL Handicap Index

Post by autiger730 »

OracleHCR wrote:Handicaps aren't used on any tours or sanctioned competitions. But almost every country club tournaments use them. The first flight are the scratch or near scratch golfers. After that the flights are grouped by handicap and handicaps are used in scoring.
If we group similar talent levels together, there is no need for handicaps.
PSN & 360: AUTiger730
OracleHCR
Reactions:

Post by OracleHCR »

Whatever dude. You are too hung up on winning. I play the game to have fun. Why don't you just go by actual scores and declare the "autiger actual winner" of each tournament? You could have a trophy for if and everything. Club tourneys always have a low net and actual winner anyways.
autiger730
Reactions:

Post by autiger730 »

Downing11 wrote:Through Event 2 of Season 2. These indices will be used for Events 3 and 4 of Season 2.

: NDL Index : Adjusted Strokes
Downing : -14.04 : 0
Buckeye : -11.25 : 3
Weasel : -10.89 : 3
AUTiger : -9.81 : 4
Baker : -8.91 : 5
Jsence : -8.19 : 6
Dak : -8.01 : 6
wwfi08 : -7.60 : 6
Oracle : -7.38 : 7
George : -6.66 : 7
Jake : -4.86 : 9
Driccio : -3.60 : 10
Nasty : -3.42 : 11
Krgkmg : -3.15 : 11
Shel : -1.80 : 12
A
Downing : -14.04
Buckeye : -11.25
Weasel : -10.89
AUTiger : -9.81
Baker : -8.91

B
Jsence : -8.19
Dak : -8.01
wwfi08 : -7.60
Oracle : -7.38
George : -6.66

C
Jake : -4.86
Driccio : -3.60
Nasty : -3.42
Krgkmg : -3.15
Shel : -1.80

That's pretty even right there. Difficulty could even go up and not affect anyone adversely.
autiger730
Reactions:

Post by autiger730 »

-88 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good luck to everyone getting 6 strokes or more. Downing, you only have to eagle 30 of your last 36. No pressure. :lol:

Seriously, if we are going to continue to use this sillyness, there has to be some kind of stipulation where if you shoot a certain number lower than your average, you don't get your strokes in that round. This is preposterous.
OracleHCR
Reactions:

Post by OracleHCR »

autiger730 wrote:-88 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good luck to everyone getting 6 strokes or more. Downing, you only have to eagle 30 of your last 36. No pressure. :lol:

Seriously, if we are going to continue to use this sillyness, there has to be some kind of stipulation where if you shoot a certain number lower than your average, you don't get your strokes in that round. This is preposterous.
:P Take a chill pill man. It is just a game. It seems like you may be the only one who cares about the standings. It isn't like we are playing for money.... Wait a minute. Are we?
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

Just because it's just a game doesn't mean he's wrong.

I know Downing doesn't care one bit if he doesn't win, but if you can't simply acknowledge a flaw in the system with these scores and making it literally impossible for some players to win a tournament, then you're just being stubborn. :lol:
OracleHCR
Reactions:

Post by OracleHCR »

Why are you even in this conversation?
There isn't a flaw in the system. Handicaps are used in golf. There will always be sandbaggers or times when a player shoots way above his ability. That's just the way it is.
I've already said I don't care if we use handicaps or not. In club tournaments they have a low score and a low net. Just go by the low score and you two should be happy. It really isn't that big of a deal.
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

OracleHCR wrote:Why are you even in this conversation?
Think about it, you may figure it out. :)

OracleHCR wrote:I've already said I don't care if we use handicaps or not
So then I should be asking you why are you even in this conversation. :lol:
DRiccio21
Reactions:

Post by DRiccio21 »

since the only person who actually cares, wants the handicaps gone.

why don't we just get rid of them to make him happy? :lol:
Downing11
Reactions:

Post by Downing11 »

My argument for the current way is that through 4 events, we have had 4 different winners and 13 different people finish in the top 5.

For all of Season 1 (8 events) we only had 5 different winners and 7 different people in the top 5.

I really couldn't care less which way we do it, but since we started Season 2 with the caps, we will use them throughout the current season and then come to a decision for season 3, assuming we continue, which I hope we do since the participation is still very good.
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

In Downing we trust!
LetsGoPeay
Reactions:

Post by LetsGoPeay »

Peay's NDL Handicap Index:
Weasel- Lives in Pleasantville
vvv- He's him
BigMike- Boston
Beefy- Age. Also missing caps lock
Uuaww- Masculine Deficiency
Gambit- Fire bad
BFIVL- From the south
Kdog- Fire bad too
Baker- Chronic Narcolepsy
Dave- Lack of Empathy
Reign- Overanalysis
UCLAMac- Pedophile
Peay- Lack of melanin
Thabeet- Willingly associated himself with Hasheem Thabeet
Tfan- Looks eye to eye with Deedub
Hoos- Mute cat owning Cambodian - Someone get this man a sitcom
Shel- Severely Technologically Impaired
Cougnix- Missing coccyx
Dak- This
Trendon- Female cousin
Corey- Residual Skin Infections due to massive Jacques Cousteau inspired tattoo
Nole- Massive Phalanges; Marriage
JeffDaddy- Arm Sleeve
jsence- Personality
Nick- Substance Abuse
AJ- See Dave
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

:lol:

Dak :lol: :lol:
autiger730
Reactions:

Post by autiger730 »

Downing11 wrote:My argument for the current way is that through 4 events, we have had 4 different winners and 13 different people finish in the top 5.

For all of Season 1 (8 events) we only had 5 different winners and 7 different people in the top 5.

I really couldn't care less which way we do it, but since we started Season 2 with the caps, we will use them throughout the current season and then come to a decision for season 3, assuming we continue, which I hope we do since the participation is still very good.
I see the reasoning behind it. But if it is making it impossible for a third of the people to win, isn't it defeating the purpose? Shouldn't there be some kind of limit on how much better than your average you can shoot in a round in place to counteract that? I mean, for you to win, you would have to shoot -89. For me, buckeye, baker, weasel, we have to shoot -74 to -77. If we're going to make it fair, let's make it fair for everyone, not just the ones that "need it". That's all I'm asking. There's a clear flaw. Why can't we fix it?
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

I do find it funny that some of the folks coming at AU for "caring about winning" are the same folks who initially backed the idea of a handicap...which helped the lower rated folks to play better.

Bit of irony there. :)
Downing11
Reactions:

Post by Downing11 »

Through Event 4 of Season 2. These indices will be used for Events 5 and 6 of Season 2.

: NDL Index : Adjusted Strokes
Downing : -13.59 : 0
Weasel : -11.16 : 2
Buckeye : -10.71 : 3
AUTiger : -9.63 : 4
Baker : -9.18 : 4
Jsence : -8.28 : 5
Dak : -8.28 : 5
Oracle : -7.38 : 6
wwfi08 : -6.93 : 7
George : -6.93 : 7
Krgkmg : -5.40 : 8
Jake : -3.87 : 10
Driccio : -3.87 : 10
Nasty : -3.42 : 10
Shel : -1.80 : 12
autiger730
Reactions:

Post by autiger730 »

shel311 wrote:I do find it funny that some of the folks coming at AU for "caring about winning" are the same folks who initially backed the idea of a handicap...which helped the lower rated folks to play better.

Bit of irony there. :)
I wasn't gonna say anything.
dakshdar
Reactions:

Post by dakshdar »

autiger730 wrote:
Downing11 wrote:My argument for the current way is that through 4 events, we have had 4 different winners and 13 different people finish in the top 5.

I see the reasoning behind it. But if it is making it impossible for a third of the people to win, isn't it defeating the purpose? Shouldn't there be some kind of limit on how much better than your average you can shoot in a round in place to counteract that? I mean, for you to win, you would have to shoot -89. For me, buckeye, baker, weasel, we have to shoot -74 to -77. If we're going to make it fair, let's make it fair for everyone, not just the ones that "need it". That's all I'm asking. There's a clear flaw. Why can't we fix it?
That is what happens when you base a handicap off too few scores. It self corrects over time. Just be patient.
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

dakshdar wrote:
autiger730 wrote:

That is what happens when you base a handicap off too few scores. It self corrects over time. Just be patient.
That's a good point for handicaps, definitely.
Downing11
Reactions:

Post by Downing11 »

autiger730 wrote:

The "old" way made it impossible for two thirds of the people to win, so with this method we are getting closer to parity. Your point is taken though, there needs to be some kind of middle ground that we can find.

KRG won the last event and was getting 11 strokes. He put together 6 solid rounds for the week and now he is only getting 8 strokes, so it does even out more.

I'll work on some kind of hybrid system, maybe it is as easy as just taking half of what you are currently getting. Either way though, I think the current system needs to stay in place throughout Season 2.

Return to “Golf”