Overwatch (PS4, XB1, PC)

This is the place for all Shooting games played in the NDL.
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Overwatch (PS4, XB1, PC)

Post by ReignOnU »

I played in the Overwatch stress test back in November and was a bit hesitant at first. I'm not great at most shooter games. I ended up logging around 15 hours of 3 days... I couldn't stop playing it. The game is easy to pickup and has a very unique cast of characters that you can play. There are a lot of different styles that allow you to find your niche within the game. Most people tend to compare this to Team Fortress 2, which is a very old team based shooting game (it's free on Steam I believe).

Closed beta started again earlier this week. Unfortunately I haven't been invited to that yet. It seems that it's been reserved for most of the popular Twitch streamers. Hopefully with the upcoming launch of The Division, Blizzard will counteract like they normally do.

It's pretty apparent from their recent purchase of MLG and their focus on stabilizing PVP content in their games that Blizzard is trying to dominate the eSports scene. They've got a lot of work to do, but I think they are going to be quite successful. WoW's PVP system is getting a big overhaul in the next xpac to make sure that it isn't so comp dependent. Hearthstone is unmatched in their realm and Blizzard's Q4 earnings release stated that they have over 40m accounts (counts active and inactive, but it's highly popular). HotS is going to Heroes of the Dorm again this year... to be broadcast on ESPN3 with the Semis and Finals on ESPN2 (runs during March Madness). Starcraft has some competitive stuff already. Finally, Overwatch is going to fill a unique spot in the shooter field. It's not comparable to games like COD/CSGO/The Division in terms of the setup, because you pick a preset character and can character swap throughout the game. It's basically taking the MOBA style team comp setup and applying the game play concepts to a shooter.
PSN: ReignOnU
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Re: Overwatch (PS4, XB1, PC)

Post by ReignOnU »

Overwatch trailer from a few months ago... I know you guys are lazy. :-)

PSN: ReignOnU
jsence2
Reactions:

Post by jsence2 »

I broke down and got it today. It's got a ten gig update file, good lord. Might get to play eventually :lol:

S14: N Texas 7-1
S15: Wake 8-5
S16-21: Washington 9-4, 10-3, 8-5, 9-4, 7-6, 6-7
S22: Ohio 8-5
S23: ECU 12-2
S24-26: Kentucky 8-5, 5-7, 5-7
Career: 102-61
Uuaww
Reactions:

Post by Uuaww »

If the Ajs an Biffy's decided to play this I would prob get it. looks like i could be useful without having to shoot anyone which would be a big plus.
BFiVL
Reactions:

Post by BFiVL »

Pass

I watched game play. Looks like a WiiU game. Guy that was playing said star wars battlefront had more content than overwatch. I am looking at BF1 and of course will be all over MW remastered
LetsGoPeay
Reactions:

Post by LetsGoPeay »

I was asking my 12 year old what games he might be interested in with his birthday coming up and even he gave Overwatch a hard pass. He said it looked like a toddler game.
jsence2
Reactions:

Post by jsence2 »

It's fun. It's not a COD/BF shooter, it's short games, fun to switch between characters, and it's fun to play in a group.

You'll enjoy it if you go into it knowing what it is, and enjoying it for what it is

qazhby
Reactions:

Post by qazhby »

Old ass thread as I was super late to this game, but i've played it nonstop since I got it. Surprised guys here didn't really seem to care for it
jsence2
Reactions:

Post by jsence2 »

qazhby wrote:Old ass thread as I was super late to this game, but i've played it nonstop since I got it. Surprised guys here didn't really seem to care for it
It has surpassed FIFA as my most played game. I probably put 10-20 hours a week into it. Pharah, d.Va, and Moira main

qazhby
Reactions:

Post by qazhby »

Pharah is so fun to play, but i'm terrible with her. Even more so with the new patch and having to get direct hits. I mostly main tanks, Orisa is my best character by far. Been playing a lot of Widow and Ashe in quickplay though, mostly just for fun
jsence2
Reactions:

Post by jsence2 »

qazhby wrote:Pharah is so fun to play, but i'm terrible with her. Even more so with the new patch and having to get direct hits. I mostly main tanks, Orisa is my best character by far. Been playing a lot of Widow and Ashe in quickplay though, mostly just for fun

She is absolutely map/situation/enemy comp dependent. Team full of squishies who can move around quickly on a payload, not a good choice. Same characters on a control point where you can concentrate fire on one area, sure.

Now, you give me a GOATS comp or multiple tanks where I can land direct hits AND splash damage all at once? She is a must-have.

The patch upped her rate of fire, so if you can figure out someone's movement patterns, you can wreck them.

qazhby
Reactions:

Post by qazhby »

jsence2 wrote:
qazhby wrote:Pharah is so fun to play, but i'm terrible with her. Even more so with the new patch and having to get direct hits. I mostly main tanks, Orisa is my best character by far. Been playing a lot of Widow and Ashe in quickplay though, mostly just for fun

She is absolutely map/situation/enemy comp dependent. Team full of squishies who can move around quickly on a payload, not a good choice. Same characters on a control point where you can concentrate fire on one area, sure.

Now, you give me a GOATS comp or multiple tanks where I can land direct hits AND splash damage all at once? She is a must-have.

The patch upped her rate of fire, so if you can figure out someone's movement patterns, you can wreck them.
Watching pros like Fleta just destroy other pros with her is an amazing thing to watch too

Return to “Shooters”