Rockband 3 info

Post by outlaw »

outlaw
Reactions:

Re: Rockband 3 info

Post by outlaw »

More info

Keyboard:

* Cost = $79.99 (standalone), $129.99 (bundled with game) - Price from the rumor posted above is essentially confirmed. No word on the release date as of yet.
* Can be laid on a flat surface (like a regular keyboard) or used with a strap (like a keytar). An optional keyboard stand will also be available.
* Has a MIDI-out function, so you can actually compose and record music on it in addition to using it in the game
* Will be wireless and utilize a dongle like all of the other instruments on the PS3
* HMX is currently developing a MIDI Conversion Box (estimated price $39.99) which will allow you to use ANY MIDI-capable keyboard or drumkit in the game.
* The keyboard (and harmony vocals) will be limited to songs on disc, Green Day songs (at least for harmonies--not keyboard), and future DLC. Previous DLC may be updated in the future, but no official plans to incorporate these new parts in older DLC have been announced as of yet.
* From this screenshot, it also appears that the keyboard can be used to play guitar or bass, and the guitar can also be used to play keyboard parts, at least for regular difficulties (not Pro mode)

Guitars:

* New guitars (the Pro Mode capable ones) will also have a MIDI out, allowing you to compose and record music
* The Squire Stratocaster and Fender Mustang guitars (the Pro Mode guitars) will be capable of sensing where your left hand's fingers are at and display this on-screen, but other details are being kept under wraps until we see Pro Mode in action at E3
* The Fender Mustang being developed by Mad Catz is going to retail at $149.99. The Squire does not yet have a price.
* Pro Mode is available for both lead guitar and bass, and it is designed to more or less teach you how to play the song on a real guitar. Master it well enough on Pro Expert, and you'll be able to play it on any guitar (there are screen shots showing Pro Mode in that link).
* Pro Mode guitars have 17 frets x 6 strings, for a total of 102 neck positions.
* Some songs with particularly difficult parts (trills, tremolos, rolls, etc) will have bonus points for achieving a certain percentage on these parts.

Drums:

* The drums are more or less the same as they are in RockBand 2.
* However, Pro Mode will require you to use the cymbals at the proper time. The RB2 cymbals will work, and improved cymbal add-ons will be made available from Mad Catz for $39.99. These new cymbals will be quieter, more responsive, covered completely in rubber (instead of 2/3rd or so like the current ones), and sit an an angle of 10 degrees.
* The mysterious extra (black) port on the back of the RB2 drums will be enabled for use as a second kick pedal OR a hi-hat pedal. However, HMX does not want these to be required, so double bass and hi-hat pedals will not be charted.
* The cymbal notes in Pro Mode will be indicated by gems that look like cymbals, while pads will remain the good old rectangles. Both will remain in their color-coded lanes.
* The game will adapt to the number of cymbals that you have, though if you have less than three you can expect to suffer on the leaderboards.
* "Almost all" of the current tracks support the cymbal charting for Pro Mode. Some of the earliest stuff does not support it though.
* Guitar Hero drum kits (which have cymbals) will not be supported for use in Pro Mode as the layouts do not match properly.

Misc (Also includes info from PlasticAxe's 5 Things We Didn't Know About RockBand 3):

* New hardware is only required if you want to play PRO mode for guitar (even the keyboard is optional if you have 3 guitars lying around). On normal difficulty levels (Easy to Expert), you can continue to use your current guitars. Of course, if your instruments are breaking down, Mad Catz will be releasing "updated" versions of the RB2 drums, guitar, and microphones as well.
* It is currently unclear if DLC released after RB3 will still be backward compatible with RB1 or RB2, though all current DLC will be forward-compatible with RB3.
* The game will feature a sort of narrative about your band in tour mode as they progress, and it will be very open-ended and have several achievement-driven features... as many as 700 goals and rewards.
* Progress will be tracked regardless of what mode you're in.
* You can share your in-game progress via Facebook and/or Twitter.
* Setlist creation and song selection is completely revamped. You'll be able to find songs more easily, hide songs you hate (thankfully for us PS3'ers!), save and share setlists, and get DLC suggestions based on "fan preference" (maybe some sort of best-of voted on by players via a lighter-rating system like we have with RBN?)
* There will be a DS version for rocking on-the-go... no PSP or iPhone version though.
* It will have a simultaneous wordwide release, currently officially set at "Holiday 2010" (hopefully there won't be any limited exclusivity to the other console nonsense this time around but it's still pretty vague at this point).
Downing11
Reactions:

Post by Downing11 »

I was at Gamestop today and they already had all of the PS3 intruments on display. I picked up the keyboard and pro cymbals. They won't do me any good until the games out but I hadn't preordered the keyboard so I thought it made sense to get it ahead of time. I don't see too many on ebay so I'm not sure they should have been selling these to begin with. The game drops next Tuesday, I'll be on late night as much as I can if anyone wants to play.
Baker
Reactions:

Post by Baker »

I bought the RB3 drum set about a month ago and have been using them. Like they said in the article above, basically the same as RB2 drums, except you have two extra cymbals (which I haven't used yet with RB2). I preordered the game only, tried to preorder the keyboard but they were no longer taking preorders for it.
Not sure I'll get into all this pro mode stuff with the guitars, drums, etc. I've never played an instrument in real life and honestly, don't really have any desire to learn. The game is hard enough (and fun) for me on expert/hard levels. Not sure if I'll get into the keyboard either, we'll see. Basically i just want the new game for the songs and a different look to the game as a whole.
Downing11
Reactions:

Post by Downing11 »

Yeah, I heard the cymbals actually mean something In RB3. In RB2 they were basically just another way to hit that color. In RB3 they will actually used to sound like cymbals and it will tell you to specifically hit them instead of just the color. Does the RB3 drum set come with the cymbals? I was thinking of just picking up the cymbals which are compatible with the RB2 drum set. The keyboard looks very slick. Can't wait to give it a go. I read about a guitar that has 110+ buttons that look like strings. That is above my skills and also I think it is like $150. The regular 5 button guitars I have work fine for me.
Baker
Reactions:

Post by Baker »

yeah, the RB3 set comes with the cymbals...
Downing11
Reactions:

Post by Downing11 »

Anyone know where to find a complete list of all available RB songs. Possibly in excel?
mcx79
Reactions:

Post by mcx79 »

http://www.rbdlc.com

This may not be what you are looking for, but they have a database of all available DLC.
aim - mcx79
PSN - mcx79
Downing11
Reactions:

Post by Downing11 »

Thanks. I actually just cut and pasted them all from the RB site into excel. I'm trying to put together a list of everything I have into some kind of printable book.
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

Anyone got the 3 set with the keyboard and all?

Was thinking of getting this for my sister and her husband for Christmas buthe track list looked weak and not sure how the keyboard thing works out and if its cool.
Downing11
Reactions:

Post by Downing11 »

Keyboard is fun and different, but the star of the show in my opinion, is the pro drums. The 3 cymbal expansion pack to the drums is awesome. For keyboards, there are only 65 songs I believe that use them on the RB3 disk. However, there is a Billy Joel pack coming out in December that I bet is great for the keyboard.

Return to “Rockband”