Soccer discussion thread

This is the place for all Soccer games played in the NDL.
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Re: Soccer discussion thread

Post by shel311 »

Will the game start times be at like 3am or some shit?

That's the worst.

Also, we should move this thread to the OT. Not that it gets much run, but probably makes sense.
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

shel311 wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:24 am Will the game start times be at like 3am or some shit?

That's the worst.

Also, we should move this thread to the OT. Not that it gets much run, but probably makes sense.
I'd move it if I knew how. And most likely the games will be around 4am to 11am (7 Qatar time) start times
ImageImageImage
LetsGoPeay
Reactions:

Post by LetsGoPeay »

Down with the British! Fuck your tea!
DRiccio21
Reactions:

Post by DRiccio21 »

We got a pretty favorable draw

England, Iran then either Ukraine/Scotland/Wales

All games we can compete with and we’re likely favorites against everyone except England.
nick
Reactions:

Post by nick »

US is 3rd in betting odds (behind the 3 team group of Europe qualifiers) to win their division. Cant really say much since Canada's +1600 to win theirs.
LetsGoPeay
Reactions:

Post by LetsGoPeay »

Win against Iran, draw with the second Euro team, and lose to England and the US should be on to the knockout rounds. Then most likely play Netherlands (But Senegal could shock some people) in the round of 16. Neither team is completely unbeatable for the US. Just got to keep Reyna, Pulisic, McKennie, and Adams healthy. It would really help if any or all of Pepi, Ferreira, and Dike could spike their development between now and November too.
LetsGoPeay
Reactions:

Post by LetsGoPeay »

English press already posting the bulletin board material.

LetsGoPeay
Reactions:

Post by LetsGoPeay »

Two goals from Neymar, two goals from Mbappe, one from Messi, Sergio Ramos booed relentlessly, a 5-1 PSG win, and one awesome night!
qazhby
Reactions:

Post by qazhby »

DRiccio21 wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:51 pm We got a pretty favorable draw

England, Iran then either Ukraine/Scotland/Wales

All games we can compete with and we’re likely favorites against everyone except England.
no chance we would be favorites against Wales
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

Soccer noob questions... My kid really likes soccer so we've been watching most of the Champions League Knockout matches.

1. Why in many of these hugely important games are the best players not playing and subbing in in the 2nd half of matches? There's been a bunch of examples, most recent is Mo Salah(I think Mane too) in the 2nd leg of the quarterfinals.

2. Why does Chelsea have all those covered seats that they're not filling in the lower bowl?
nick
Reactions:

Post by nick »

shel311 wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:06 pm Soccer noob questions... My kid really likes soccer so we've been watching most of the Champions League Knockout matches.

1. Why in many of these hugely important games are the best players not playing and subbing in in the 2nd half of matches? There's been a bunch of examples, most recent is Mo Salah(I think Mane too) in the 2nd leg of the quarterfinals.

2. Why does Chelsea have all those covered seats that they're not filling in the lower bowl?
1. cause

2. cause
nick
Reactions:

Post by nick »

k ill actually answer cause my trolling went south.

1. Certain points of the Champs Compeition is Home/Away aggregates. Liverpool was up 3-1 on Benfica coming into the game, and in Soccer rules, away goals in a tie are worth more, so Liverpool was up 3-1 on away goals going into the second half. By HT in the game the combined scored was 6-2/6-3ish when Mane/Salah were taken out. They also had a big English based Cup competition this weekend so makes sense to keep them healthy than overplay in a blow out.

2. Roman Abromovich is the owner of Chelsea so my guess is it's all to do with the Russian sanctions.
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

Nick, your 2nd point may be spot on if they had another match.

But it was actually opposite. Salah didn't start. Liverpool was up either 5-2 or 6-2 on aggregate when they actually subbed Salah into the game.

It was 3-1 going into the 2nd leg so it seemed it would make more sense to start your best dudes then pull them in the 2nd half with the lead, not the other way around.
cougnix
Reactions:

Post by cougnix »

Just to add to this thread, my son was at the PNG game today. Carry on...
ImageImage

PSN: Cougnix
cougnix
Reactions:

Post by cougnix »

Double Post!

SOUNDERS!!!!!!
ImageImage

PSN: Cougnix
DRiccio21
Reactions:

Post by DRiccio21 »

Man City loss was so bad yesterday… par for the course in their typical champions league efforts
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

DRiccio21 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 7:50 am Man City loss was so bad yesterday… par for the course in their typical champions league efforts
My kid loves soccer and likes Man City as that's the team he uses on Fifa.

I don't care about soccer but Fifa has been my favorite video game for a long time, and this version I always use Real Madrid, so him and I have been watching all of the games for both teams in the Champion's League.

Yesterday's match was wild.

After Man City scored to go up 5-3, My kid turned to me with an old school NCAA NDL thing and said "GG." He learned a hard lesson in sports yesterday.
DRiccio21
Reactions:

Post by DRiccio21 »

I also became a city fan because of fifa probably 15 years ago. They had a dude named Shawn Wright Phillips who was like 99 speed and even tho they sucked id always just use him and score a ton of goals. Then they got that FU money and now it’s an embarrassing team to say you like but I got in pre $$$
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Post by ReignOnU »

Sweaty pace abuser - JSence, probably
PSN: ReignOnU
nick
Reactions:

Post by nick »

i cant root for a team. I just prefer to follow players i enjoy.

De Bruyne, Odegaaard, Davies, and if I had to pick a team it's be DOrtmund since theyre a superstar generator.

I'm fucking obsessed with soccer tho. I love the 45 mins, break, 45 mins and we go on with our day. I play Fifa religiously. Never thought I'd be this in.

Return to “Soccer”