Soccer discussion thread

This is the place for all Soccer games played in the NDL.
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Re: Soccer discussion thread

Post by Cnasty »

Oooooof
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

DRWebs wrote:
GeorgesGoons wrote:
DRWebs wrote:Freddy Adu!
You need someone at the Tiger level and someone born in America to make it work. Freddy Adu has zero name recognition, need someone popular enough that if you say his first name everyone knows who you are talking about
Over your head, he was billed as the next big thing but flamed out
I watch soccer every 2 years, mens world cup and womens world cup. And maybe the olympics. I am surprised I don't watch it more though, I actually enjoy it
ImageImageImage
nick
Reactions:

Post by nick »

"soccer isn't sexy enough in the US and isn't economically available to kids in the inner cities."

lmao what?
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

nick wrote:"soccer isn't sexy enough in the US and isn't economically available to kids in the inner cities."

lmao what?
How much does it cost to play competitive soccer?
Club soccer games will have you driving all over your state each weekend during season play, and many tournaments require out of state travel. All that travel expense adds up quickly, and that's on top of your select soccer team's fees and dues, which will run anywhere from $500 to $3,000 a year.
Do you understand now? This isn't economically available to kids in the inner cities
ImageImageImage
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

another article:
So, how much does it cost to play soccer for a club? On average, someone can be paying between 2000-5000 dollars a year in membership fees for one player. Those fees normally include uniforms, insurance, referees and coaches salaries, player development, etc. That’s without including registration fees that might be anywhere between 100-500 dollars. Plus, families will have to cover travel costs and equipment to play the game (cleats, protection gear, and others).
a good article from money.com explaining how this isn't a viable sport for inner city kids to play at a competitive level that can lead to becoming a pro

http://money.com/money/4037391/soccer-b ... ly-budget/
ImageImageImage
nick
Reactions:

Post by nick »

:lol:
dakshdar
Reactions:

Post by dakshdar »

Cnasty wrote:Oooooof
Mission accomplished.
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Post by ReignOnU »

Seems obvious that the economical comments here are well over NIck's level of comprehension. It's not a matter of kids not being able to afford to kick a ball in the park, it's a dual issue of how kids get recognized at a higher level and how our high level orgs select the kids. There's a lot more "pay to play" and "networking" involved in it than there should be. Until we break that system, we're not going to see change.
PSN: ReignOnU
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Post by ReignOnU »

On a side note, somewhat soccer related... I'm on vacation in Florida (hi NDL Florida). The place we're staying at is centrally located between Fort Lauderdale and Orlando and there are a bunch of international friendlies being played this week and next. Long story short, I've got to play volleyball and basketball (and watch some soccer training and pickup games) with 2 pretty good clubs. Pachuca, which is a mid-table Liga MX club and Penarol, which is the top team in the Primera (from Uruguay). There's a 3rd club here, but they've only been on site 1 day so far. From what I've see the teams have been playing at the Orlando FC stadium and FAU. Not sure where else they are going.
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Post by ReignOnU »

Also... wish I didn't leave Friday morning. Tons of French and French-Canadians here... would love to be there for US vs France.
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

ReignOnU wrote:Seems obvious that the economical comments here are well over NIck's level of comprehension. It's not a matter of kids not being able to afford to kick a ball in the park, it's a dual issue of how kids get recognized at a higher level and how our high level orgs select the kids. There's a lot more "pay to play" and "networking" involved in it than there should be. Until we break that system, we're not going to see change.
I wasn't going to try to explain. Nick knows a lot of things, or was it Nick says a lot of things? Either way, I was going to "waste my breath" trying to explain this. Soccer is broken here in the US, not sure how it is in Canada (hope it's not like it is here).
ImageImageImage
Seeitsaveit13
Reactions:

Post by Seeitsaveit13 »

ReignOnU wrote:On a side note, somewhat soccer related... I'm on vacation in Florida (hi NDL Florida). The place we're staying at is centrally located between Fort Lauderdale and Orlando and there are a bunch of international friendlies being played this week and next. Long story short, I've got to play volleyball and basketball (and watch some soccer training and pickup games) with 2 pretty good clubs. Pachuca, which is a mid-table Liga MX club and Penarol, which is the top team in the Primera (from Uruguay). There's a 3rd club here, but they've only been on site 1 day so far. From what I've see the teams have been playing at the Orlando FC stadium and FAU. Not sure where else they are going.
Hi!
ImageImageImageImage
nick
Reactions:

Post by nick »

In 1972, there were only 700 girls playing high school level soccer in the US. By 1991, 121,722. In 2018? 390,482.
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Post by ReignOnU »

nick wrote:In 1972, there were only 700 girls playing high school level soccer in the US. By 1991, 121,722. In 2018? 390,482.
High school soccer in the US is equivalent to 'fuck off, play time outside."

Some decent clubs advise against kids playing on their high school teams. Many club kids just play HS to hang out with their friends and get away from their clubs. Goes back to the previous conversation about how f'd up the youth programs are in the US.
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Post by ReignOnU »

I feel like the Dutch have outplayed us in mid,just haven't been able to do much in the final third. But it was a clear penalty and really good kick by Rapinoe. I'll take it. Based on what I've seen, this Dutch team is going to be really good for the foreseeable future... we need to reload.
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Post by ReignOnU »

That was awesome... Cincinnati Kid representing.
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Post by ReignOnU »

Coach told the USWNT what I just posted... now they make me look foolish by exploding for 4 good chances. :-)
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Post by ReignOnU »

That was a pretty fun game to watch... looking forward to tonight!
nick
Reactions:

Post by nick »

Messi has been saying a lot of stuff recently that most ppl have been thinking for a long time
nick
Reactions:

Post by nick »

big win US.

also, Alex Morgan is a babe.

Return to “Soccer”