Broadcasting using Adobe flash and Justin.tv

All NDL or video game football related conversations go here.
The_Niddler
Reactions:

Broadcasting using Adobe flash and Justin.tv

Post by The_Niddler »

I have created this guide that should walk you through how to get the Adobe Flash Encoder 2.5 program setup and allow you to start broadcasting your NDL games for all to enjoy.
This contains settings that quack and I played around with for about 2 hours until we got it right.

These instructions only help if you are broadcasting through your pc, via a webcam, capture card, Camcorder hooked to your pc....These will NOT help if you are broadcasting through a cell phone.

I will assume that everyone that is going to broadcast already has a Justin.tv account setup. If not, you need to go there and register first.

The next thing is to go out and get Adobe's Flash encoder.

If you have windows, you want to get version 2.5, not the new 3.x. The 3.x is a resource hog.
I have a desktop with an AMD processor equivalent to an i5 and it pegs it to 98%.
The 2.5 version runs at only about 44% CPU usage.
It can be found here:
https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/entitleme ... fm?e=fme25

For MAC, I have not had an issue using the most current version from Adobe:
http://www.adobe.com/products/flashmedi ... iaencoder/

You have to setup a free account for Adobe. Then log in, then scroll to the bottom and click on I agree.
Now at the top of this screen is Download for Windows (MSI, 3.4 MB)
Click on that file and walk through the installation using the default directories that it wants to.

Once you install the program and it opens up, it should look like this:

These are the settings that quack and I came up with.

First, under Preset on the left, change it to custom.
Then under the Video Device settings: click the drop down and choose your input device. Your webcam, capture card, camcorder, whatever it is that you are using.
Under Format: Change this to H.264
Click the wrench next to H.264 and set it to Main and 5.1.

For bitrate: Set it to 800 Kbps. You can go higher if your upload speed is consistantly higher than 800. You can run a speed test on your computer on http://speedtest.net/ Base your bitrate off of your Upload speed. My upload at home is usually around 800 Kbps. Sometimes I can get up to 1.5 Mbps.

For Size: Set it to 640x480
For FPS: Change it to 60

You can play around with cropping later. This allows you to cut off the stuff around your screen so that your audience can only see your game and not the stuff around your tv.
You can see by my screen shot above, the cropped picture is on the right. This is what you would see on my Justin.tv broadcast. It cuts off the extra stuff from around my picture.

Now at the bottom, you see an Auto Adjust, click the box to the left of Auto Adjust.
Now Click the wrench to the right of this. Here you will set the delay. Set it to a 3 or 4 second delay.
This will allow the program to buffer for 3 or 4 seconds to fix stutters before it is seen on the screen.

Setting auto adjust, allows the program to up or down grade your bitrate while you are playing based on your internet connections speed. It helps to eliminate lag.

Now Under Audio Device Settings: The only thing I do is choose the audio input device that I want to use. I choose my webcam since I am letting it pick up the sounds from my soundbar. I know some people have audio running directly into their pc. You should see your sound card or some other device listed in the drop down.
The only issue I know of with running audio directly to your pc is that there may be a delay compared to the video. Because the PC is processing the audio that it receives instead of it being native or raw audio.
I do not know how to fix this issue yet, but quack and I have been discussing it.

I do not mess around with any of the other audio settings.

Now on the right half of the screen:
First, you have FMS URL, for Justin.tv or twitch tv, for all of us this should be: rtmp://live.justin.tv/app

Now, you will have to log into your Justin.tv account. Once logged in, click on the desktop browsing option and you will see a Stream Key: SHOW link above the picture of the satellite.
Click on Show and you should see something similar to:
live_10940450_Q3ETJssHE3mdRb2FGEGuGmJdUv6kG

Copy that and paste it into the Stream field in the encoder program 2 lines under the FMS URL.

Uncheck the Save to File option just below the Stream line.
If you leave this checked, you can choose a folder for it to save a .flv video to your hard drive. This is really not needed since Justin.tv saves the video for you.

Click on connect just above the Save to File option, if it connects. You are ready to start streaming your games.

Once it starts streaming, it will automatically show up on your Justin.tv channel.

In the Encoder window, you will see a screen that looks like this:

On the right half of the screen above is statistics. If you see drops occurring, chances are you need to lower your bitrate.

This should give you enough information to start broadcasting. If you have any questions, hit myself or quack up and we would be happy to help.
Streaming videos makes the league that much more enjoyable to me.

The webcam or whatever you are using will make a big difference in the quality of your picture.
Your internet connection will make just as big of a difference as it depends on your upload speed.

If you look at my recap:
http://www.onlinedynasty.net/ndl2/game.php?game=1216

The first 2 videos are at 800 Kbps for bitrate.
I am not sure what was going on, but in the second video and towards the end of the first, you can see my video started to skip.
Something else was running and slowing down my network.

So I stopped my feed, set the bitrate to 500 and the third video is at 500 Kbps.

They all look good and crisp when in the smaller window that it broadcasts in.
If you make them full screen, they are still watchable, but you can definitely see a difference between the 800 Kbps and 500 Kbps in full screen.

I wanted to add, once you have the settings all set above test it out. I did a Play now game and had quack watching my Justin.tv feed and we played around with the bitrate and such until we got it right.

Once all of your settings are correct and working for you, the next time you go to broadcast your game, you simply make sure your cam is connected to your pc, start up the Flash Encoder application and click on start.
It will automatically broadcast under your Justin.tv channel since you put in the FMS URL and your Live Stream Key.
You do NOT need to go to Justin.tv on your pc or do anything with Justin.tv.

I then log in through the http://www.onlinedynasty.net/ndl2/mediaHome.php site so that I can chat with guys as the game is going on.
You can log into your Justin.tv account and go to your channel to see the broadcast and chat with guys if you choose to instead of using the NDL2 site.

Let me know if you have any questions.
PSN: The_Niddler
TWITCH: The_Niddler
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Re: How to Broadcast games through Justin.tv

Post by Cnasty »

I'm dumb when it comes to this, but what exactly does the adobe part play in this?

Does it speed it up or clear it up prettier versus broadcasting thru Justin tv?

Like why do we need that part?
The_Niddler
Reactions:

Re: How to Broadcast games through Justin.tv

Post by The_Niddler »

Cnasty wrote:I'm dumb when it comes to this, but what exactly does the adobe part play in this?

Does it speed it up or clear it up prettier versus broadcasting thru Justin tv?

Like why do we need that part?

Sorry, I meant to include that in my post above.

Short answer, YES!

When I went to justin.tv and signed in and clicked on WebCam and it started broadcasting, it didn't look bad, but when I went through the encoder program, quack said instantly it was much clearer and crisper of a picture.

With that said, these instructions only help if you are broadcasting through your pc, via a webcam, capture card, Camcorder hooked to your pc....These will NOT help if you are broadcasting through a cell phone.

Then we played around with the settings and got it as good as I can get with my current internet connection speeds.
My Internet is 12 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up at most. That is what I pay for.
I typically get 9 or 10 Mbps down and .7 to .9 up.

And I made the instructions so anyone should be able to follow.

Just start at the top and follow along. If they need fixed, just let me know where you are hung and I will fix it to help everyone understand.
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Re: How to Broadcast games through Justin.tv from your PC

Post by Cnasty »

Awesome job JD.

Ill mess with this as my webcam looks ok but it can be a lot better based on what you are saying.

Appreciate the work.
The_Niddler
Reactions:

Post by The_Niddler »

Cnasty wrote:Awesome job JD.

Ill mess with this as my webcam looks ok but it can be a lot better based on what you are saying.

Appreciate the work.

Yes, it should get much better, but it will depend on your webcam.

But I helped bearass with his and it is much clearer now. When I watched his first game, I could not read the names of his players, now I can without an issue.
With his internet connection, if he had a webcam that was 720P or 1080P, he would be able to broadcast in high definition.
Knapp
Reactions:

Post by Knapp »

Thanks for the instructional info. Quack's tutorial was a great help but I'm still not getting the video I want. I'll experiment with yours, tonight, and hopefully improve it more.
Tom Gordon - NDL Iowa State Cyclones
Knapp
Reactions:

Post by Knapp »

I followed the tutorial, at least from what you put together earlier today.....Interesting problem...it keeps connecting and disconnecting and then reconnecting, over and over again. Anyways, I'll wait until you have a chance to update it and I'll give it another try.
Tom Gordon - NDL Iowa State Cyclones
buckeye76
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by buckeye76 »

Good stuff, I went ahead and pinned it.
The_Niddler
Reactions:

Post by The_Niddler »

Knappy83 wrote:I followed the tutorial, at least from what you put together earlier today.....Interesting problem...it keeps connecting and disconnecting and then reconnecting, over and over again. Anyways, I'll wait until you have a chance to update it and I'll give it another try.
That is because I had the wrong FMS URL in there.

I have updated the documentation above.
The correct FMS URL should be: rtmp://live.justin.tv/app

Set it to that and you should not see it connecting and disconnecting anymore.
The_Niddler
Reactions:

Re: Broadcasting games through Justin.tv from your PC

Post by The_Niddler »

Updated with a little more info...there seemed to be some confusion.

I wanted to add, once you have the settings all set above test it out. I did a Play now game and had quack watching my Justin.tv feed and we played around with the bitrate and such until we got it right.

Once all of your settings are correct and working for you, the next time you go to broadcast your game, you simply make sure your cam is connected to your pc, start up the Flash Encoder application and click on start.
It will automatically broadcast under your Justin.tv channel since you put in the FMS URL and your Live Stream Key.
You do NOT need to go to Justin.tv on your pc or do anything with Justin.tv.

I then log in through the http://www.onlinedynasty.net/ndl2/mediaHome.php site so that I can chat with guys as the game is going on.
You can log into your Justin.tv account and go to your channel to see the broadcast and chat with guys if you choose to instead of using the NDL2 site.
WJ5811
Reactions:

Post by WJ5811 »

Thanks for the walkthrough Niddler. I went and did everything as posted and it was pretty easy. Ran some test vids and it worked fine. My video quality isnt as good as I hoped but thats because of my internet connection. My bit rate is pretty low and when I ran it up around 500 or higher it got real choppy and laggy so around the 350 range it seems ok. Just about the best I could do with what I have but it looks better than the regular stream without the encoder thats for sure. Also something to add I changed the sound settings since they arent that improtant and basically all you want to hear is whats going on and not to worried about big time quality. I changed the sound from stereo to mono then changed the Hz from 44100 down to 11025. That also allowed me to drop the bits down to 18. I think before in stereo it was using 128 bits before the change. This allowed for me to have more bits available overall to use for my video bit settings. I figured the picture was more important than the sound quality and wanted to use the majority on the video. Thanks again.
PSN: WJ5811
AIM: WJ5811
JUSTIN TV USER: WJ5811
tig5165
Reactions:

Post by tig5165 »

This is sweet....thanks for the work...I will be spending some time this weekend working on this....great stuff...
Most nights from 6-8 pm eastern I can run
AIM: tig5165 (sometimes people say that can't see me on AIM if so just email me as it goes right to my phone)
PSN tag: tiger5165
masstiger5165@yahoo.com
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

Good stuff.

Certainly seems easier to broadcast through a smartphone though. :lol:
The_Niddler
Reactions:

Post by The_Niddler »

shel311 wrote:Good stuff.

Certainly seems easier to broadcast through a smartphone though. :lol:
It may be easier but for me I get a far sharper image using my webcam.
The_Niddler
Reactions:

Post by The_Niddler »

WJ5811 wrote:Thanks for the walkthrough Niddler. I went and did everything as posted and it was pretty easy. Ran some test vids and it worked fine. My video quality isnt as good as I hoped but thats because of my internet connection. My bit rate is pretty low and when I ran it up around 500 or higher it got real choppy and laggy so around the 350 range it seems ok. Just about the best I could do with what I have but it looks better than the regular stream without the encoder thats for sure. Also something to add I changed the sound settings since they arent that improtant and basically all you want to hear is whats going on and not to worried about big time quality. I changed the sound from stereo to mono then changed the Hz from 44100 down to 11025. That also allowed me to drop the bits down to 18. I think before in stereo it was using 128 bits before the change. This allowed for me to have more bits available overall to use for my video bit settings. I figured the picture was more important than the sound quality and wanted to use the majority on the video. Thanks again.
Great idea and good information. I completely agree that the sound quality can be just ok and as you mentioned, I am sure everyone just wants to be able to hear what is going on and video quality is far more important!
WJ5811
Reactions:

Post by WJ5811 »

The_Niddler wrote:
WJ5811 wrote:Thanks for the walkthrough Niddler. I went and did everything as posted and it was pretty easy. Ran some test vids and it worked fine. My video quality isnt as good as I hoped but thats because of my internet connection. My bit rate is pretty low and when I ran it up around 500 or higher it got real choppy and laggy so around the 350 range it seems ok. Just about the best I could do with what I have but it looks better than the regular stream without the encoder thats for sure. Also something to add I changed the sound settings since they arent that improtant and basically all you want to hear is whats going on and not to worried about big time quality. I changed the sound from stereo to mono then changed the Hz from 44100 down to 11025. That also allowed me to drop the bits down to 18. I think before in stereo it was using 128 bits before the change. This allowed for me to have more bits available overall to use for my video bit settings. I figured the picture was more important than the sound quality and wanted to use the majority on the video. Thanks again.
Great idea and good information. I completely agree that the sound quality can be just ok and as you mentioned, I am sure everyone just wants to be able to hear what is going on and video quality is far more important!
Actually looks like im getting a better picture through my droid right now since my internet sucks. Further tests are in order though.
tig5165
Reactions:

Post by tig5165 »

WOW....so I did that....very easy set up with the directions....but I keep getting a message that says unable to stream. Network problem at server. HELP? I tried moving the bit rate down all the way...I must have done something wrong :)
Most nights from 6-8 pm eastern I can run
AIM: tig5165 (sometimes people say that can't see me on AIM if so just email me as it goes right to my phone)
PSN tag: tiger5165
masstiger5165@yahoo.com
WJ5811
Reactions:

Post by WJ5811 »

After a test run it looks like Im leaning towards going with the Droid to broadcast. I think Niddlers way is better if you have a decent internet connection but since my bit rate is low I dont get the picture Im looking for. I do like the encoder because of the extras like the cropping. With the Droid I I cant crop and fill up the screen like you can with the encoder. So I guess either way I lose one thing for another. I do have one question for others using their phone to broadcast. Have you gotten any phone calls while broadcasting and did it have any effect?
The_Niddler
Reactions:

Post by The_Niddler »

tig5165 wrote:WOW....so I did that....very easy set up with the directions....but I keep getting a message that says unable to stream. Network problem at server. HELP? I tried moving the bit rate down all the way...I must have done something wrong :)
Tig, I won't be around till tomorrow to help but I would start over and verify your settings. Keep in mind the FMS URL was different in my original post than it is now. So double check that and try re-pasting in your stream key from Justin.tv

Justin.tv could have been having a real issue at that time too, but verify your settings and we will go from there.
WJ5811
Reactions:

Post by WJ5811 »

Ok so I wasnt happy with my internet connection and went ahead and upgraded to the performance package through my cable company. After I checked I was signed up for the low end economy package so the upgrade literally put me up 18 times faster than what I had. I went back to streaming with the endcoder and can stream up to 1200 bits without a problem during the test scrim. Only lagged maybe twice for a split second or two on 1200 bits. However it wasnt much of a change from when I streamed at 950 bits so I think Im gonna go with 950 because it didnt lag at all there. Look for my first game up sometime later today if my opponents are around.

Return to “NDL Open Forum”