What's next for the NDL?

League rules, pertinent Links, and league announcements can be found here.
The_Niddler
Reactions:

What's next for the NDL?

Post by The_Niddler »

I want to get your thoughts, ideas, suggestions on what is next for the NDL now that NCAA will not be made next year.

How do we turn this into a successful gaming community?

What would you like to see continue in the league?

What would you like to see start?

Suggestions on formatting of the forums?

Should we include 360 and XBox One games instead of just PS4?

Give us your thoughts and help us make the NDL the best gaming community around!
PSN: The_Niddler
TWITCH: The_Niddler
6ftdeep
Reactions:

Re: What's next for the NDL?

Post by 6ftdeep »

IMO I don't think you can really call what NDL will now be a gaming community, as gaming is really not the focus of this community anymore. I think honestly this community, NDL has turned into more of a social community that happens to also have a collective interest in games and in small groups plays them together.

Gaming communities traditionally or more game oriented, and focus on certain games as whole.

I think the majority of the activity now in the league will come from tween forums, or off topic type forums, and while some games will quite a bit of activity in them, they will be small concentrated groups of people within that sub-forum or game.

So yea it might be a good idea for those who always preferred xbox or maybe even pc games.. to create a sub forum for them.
cougnix
Reactions:

Post by cougnix »

Obviously OOTP and COD will survive.

I've never been a fan of XBox/Sony combined sites because of the fanboy attitudes that are created. Been a part of a league that tried to keep Xbox and PS3 on the same site and it was a disaster.

The only obvious choice would be to start a Madden League that is regulated here. I am not a fan of Franchises. The stat tracking site that Holmey developed could just be changed to the NFL teams. You could have 2 leagues. An A league and a B league or something like that. 64 coaches and then a farm. A league champion could play B league champion. You could develop a system of bottom 8 from A league moves down to B league and top 8 of B league gets promoted to A league. Farm would be used the same way as before and fill in B league openings etc.

Folks that want to continue with NCAA could do a ladder, or create a hosted league etc.
ImageImage

PSN: Cougnix
I_S33M_THAB33T_U
Reactions:

Post by I_S33M_THAB33T_U »

1 thing I have noticed in the past few days is this

All the games like Madden, FIFA, NBA, Tiger, MLB all have there own section. While OOTP is kinf hidden in the small games section. I think OOTP needs to be moved out of here and into a more open section like the rest. Would be easier for newcomers to see like the others.

BUt I agree with Six on his thoughts, It seems we are more moved to a social community with some games available.

Madden/ Tiger/ OOTP/ COD are really what is standing out atm, But even Tiger and Madden don't last like they should. Maybe they will now. But with the some going to PS4 and others stuck still on PS3 it is kind of hard to judge anything at this point. As with all the difference here is going to hurt until everyone gets converted or what happens.
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Post by ReignOnU »

The sub leagues lasting comes down specifically to the management involved. For every league that has ever been created, it has been a direct reflection of the leadership that was in charge of it. I can go on and on with numerous examples... but just check their threads/dates/etc.
PSN: ReignOnU
VTrunNgun
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by VTrunNgun »

Quick reply to your specific questions:

How do we turn this into a successful gaming community?
--Need a rebranding effort as this is no longer a primary "NCAA" community. We can brainstorm ideas that differentiate ourselves from all the various gaming communities. There are great things we've built here that have made the league very self sufficient with little dependency on external vendors - all that work should be audited and see what we can repurpose (i.e. stat aggregation tool set, the whole NDL 2 site, basically all the shit Holmey built, ha)

What would you like to see continue in the league?
--I'd like to see us maintain a balance of community AND gaming. I bet if you did a deep dive on the activity across our various threads I'm sure we'd find that as much as people like playing games here, they equally if not more like having a place to have good banter.

What would you like to see start?
--I'd like to see a timeline of how this transition will come to be. We should draw a line in the sand a few months from now so everyone can fully understand how things will change.

Suggestions on formatting of the forums?
--I'd like to see a 'dynasty' format applied across the board. I think that is what keeps our community unique and special. We should figure out how that applies to the various games we endorse then address them in their own verticals. What I mean by this is for every sport or game there should be a 1 singular "NDL Endorsed" league or dynasty. Beyond that, community members are more than happy to self organize around forming their own leagues, but it would be cool to see some sort of NDL Branded Dynasty for everything we do.

Some examples would be for FIFA, we take the English premier league and make it THE league. There are 20 highly coveted spots that operationally would be ran just like we did our NCAA league with multiple seasons, contracts, and waiting lists. For a game like Call of Duty we take a club approach and say you have a reach a certain threshold to be considered. We can for clans and have them battle it out...

Should we include 360 and XBox One games instead of just PS4?
--Good question. My vote is for Ps4 since I already have it. I'd make the case that the switching cost for everyone here to crossover to Xbox One is a bit high. Yes, some people will get it anyways, but this community has invested in Sony for almost 10 years now. May be too late to go back. In any case, I don't think we should fully endorse both consoles as it would only stand to split our community.
The_Niddler
Reactions:

Post by The_Niddler »

VTrunNgun wrote: Should we include 360 and XBox One games instead of just PS4?
--Good question. My vote is for Ps4 since I already have it. I'd make the case that the switching cost for everyone here to crossover to Xbox One is a bit high. Yes, some people will get it anyways, but this community has invested in Sony for almost 10 years now. May be too late to go back. In any case, I don't think we should fully endorse both consoles as it would only stand to split our community.
Just for clarification I said add xbox related stuff in addition to ps4.
I have no plans of getting an xbox so I definitely don't want the boards to go strictly xbox
PSN: The_Niddler
TWITCH: The_Niddler
ChampDizzle
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by ChampDizzle »

The_Niddler wrote:
I have no plans of getting an xbox so I definitely don't want the boards to go strictly xbox
BEEFY SAYS HELL TO THE NO!
I_S33M_THAB33T_U
Reactions:

Post by I_S33M_THAB33T_U »

ChampDizzle wrote:
The_Niddler wrote:
BEEFY SAYS HELL TO THE NO!

I think it would be worse then that, But I am gonna 2nd this. I think even if we open it up to JunkBox1/360 it would take away from the PS3/PS4 stuff we have done here since day 1. I wont ever own another Microsoft gaming system ever.
Dolemitesooner
Reactions:

Post by Dolemitesooner »

The Board should morph and be renamed. There is a community of guys here that will always come back. The boards should open up and it should be more about that brotherhood. I would like to here from many who have left.

I should become a gaming community. We need to completely restructure how the threads are laid out. There are WAY to many sub areas. For example. I would love to talk to guys about gambling, but no one ever goes in those thread bu Nasty and I. One reason is the threads are mired in too much structure
Last edited by Dolemitesooner on Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dolemitesooner
Reactions:

Post by Dolemitesooner »

Dumb double post.
Last edited by Dolemitesooner on Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jsence2
Reactions:

Post by jsence2 »

If we could get enough people for FIFA where, if people slack off we can boot them, we'd be fine.

Problem is, we have like 16 people total that play it, not all want to do a league, and now half of them are on PS4 :lol:

Reign and I tried to keep that thing going, but we had no way to enforce playing games. But World Cup is right around the corner and that should get a lot of people interested.

S14: N Texas 7-1
S15: Wake 8-5
S16-21: Washington 9-4, 10-3, 8-5, 9-4, 7-6, 6-7
S22: Ohio 8-5
S23: ECU 12-2
S24-26: Kentucky 8-5, 5-7, 5-7
Career: 102-61
nick
Reactions:

Post by nick »

theres gonna be a little adjustment period between PS3 and PS4.. this is expected to happen. Same thing happened when PS2 went to PS3, how you think I got into the league? People who will move on will remain and others will OOTP/shoot the shit. When PS4 games start coming out leagues will form, shit wont happen overnight.
swellvermin
Reactions:

Post by swellvermin »

cougnix wrote:
The only obvious choice would be to start a Madden League that is regulated here. I am not a fan of Franchises. The stat tracking site that Holmey developed could just be changed to the NFL teams. You could have 2 leagues. An A league and a B league or something like that. 64 coaches and then a farm. A league champion could play B league champion. You could develop a system of bottom 8 from A league moves down to B league and top 8 of B league gets promoted to A league. Farm would be used the same way as before and fill in B league openings etc.

Folks that want to continue with NCAA could do a ladder, or create a hosted league etc.
+1
buckeye76
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by buckeye76 »

Dolemitesooner wrote:The Board should morph and be renamed. There is a community of guys here that will always come back. The boards should open up and it should be more about that brotherhood. I would like to here from many who have left.

I should become a gaming community. We need to completely restructure how the threads are laid out. There are WAY to many sub areas. For example. I would love to talk to guys about gambling, but no one ever goes in those thread bu Nasty and I. One reason is the threads are mired in too much structure
I gamble every week.
Dolemitesooner
Reactions:

Post by Dolemitesooner »

I agree. You posted there too.
nightwing_v6
Reactions:

Post by nightwing_v6 »

We can have ODs every year if EA keeps the servers up and people keep making updated rosters. Madden, FIFA, Tiger, and NBA will keep going. Maybe we could add NHL and Drive Club.
kdog36
Reactions:

Post by kdog36 »

I would like to be a part of whatever this becomes. I enjoy the ootps, side leagues etc. although they may not last long at all. I think this forum of people will stay around. leagues will come and go but the daily threads of discussion will always happen .
Uuaww
Reactions:

Post by Uuaww »

rename the Classifields forum, it is basically a forum for me to do shit.
Uuaww
Reactions:

Post by Uuaww »

Uuaww's Gamesharing Forum has a good ring to it...

Return to “NCAA Dynasty League Information”