Allow Draft Pick trading? Caveats listed.

Post Winter Meeting topics here

Moderators: Cnasty, Ry, nick, ReignOnU, Bernie32

Allow Draft Pick trading?

Yes
58%
No
42%

Total votes: 26

TheGobOne
Reactions:

Allow Draft Pick trading? Caveats listed.

Post by TheGobOne »

Just re-submitting Seattle's proposal with things cleared up a bit.

1) All rounds available to trade.
2) Only available to trade the following year's picks.
3) The following year's picks become available after current year draft is over. So if this get's implemented 2092 picks will be tradeable in early June. 2091 would be immediately.
4) If this passes we will be using ONLY Statsplus Trade Tool for trading because manually tracking picks is awful. This tool is awesome btw but I'm hesitant to implement it yet....maybe we will anyway even if this fails.
5) In my experience, this would help cash move around to those teams who need it. If you blew your budget going all in you can get out much much faster by selling picks. Overall it should increase trade activity by adding more granularity to trading.

If you have questions please ask. This one has been very close in the past and I would love to hear the concerns from guys as I'm sure there are valid ones!
nick
Reactions:

Re: Allow Draft Pick trading? Caveats listed.

Post by nick »

my only concern is people trade picks, get in a hole and run. think you gotta be in the league for x amount of seasons before you can draft pick trade.
TheGobOne
Reactions:

Post by TheGobOne »

nick wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:49 pm my only concern is people trade picks, get in a hole and run. think you gotta be in the league for x amount of seasons before you can draft pick trade.
That's why they can only trade the upcoming year. Can't go anymore than 1 yr as to not get into a hole like that.
Graywolf357
Reactions:

Post by Graywolf357 »

nick wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:49 pm my only concern is people trade picks, get in a hole and run. think you gotta be in the league for x amount of seasons before you can draft pick trade.
And you can use that money you always have for draft picks.
nick
Reactions:

Post by nick »

Graywolf357 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:12 pm
And you can use that money you always have for draft picks.
I’m just a sugar baby GM
Whittness10
Reactions:

Post by Whittness10 »

So lets say that this passed, and all trading was then done in S+, does this mean that trading could occur while the draft was live? Let's say that I really wanted to move up to get a specific player, could I then trade with a team that was currently on the clock, or upcoming, would that then go through immediately or is that something that would take extra time to verify to make it work? Or would it be messed up since we run the draft before the draft should take place in-game?

Something like this could potentially make the draft more interesting for some.
qazhby
Reactions:

Post by qazhby »

Whittness10 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:11 am So lets say that this passed, and all trading was then done in S+, does this mean that trading could occur while the draft was live? Let's say that I really wanted to move up to get a specific player, could I then trade with a team that was currently on the clock, or upcoming, would that then go through immediately or is that something that would take extra time to verify to make it work? Or would it be messed up since we run the draft before the draft should take place in-game?

That is a great point and would make the draft a lot more fun imo
TheGobOne
Reactions:

Post by TheGobOne »

Whittness10 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:11 am So lets say that this passed, and all trading was then done in S+, does this mean that trading could occur while the draft was live? Let's say that I really wanted to move up to get a specific player, could I then trade with a team that was currently on the clock, or upcoming, would that then go through immediately or is that something that would take extra time to verify to make it work? Or would it be messed up since we run the draft before the draft should take place in-game?

This can absolutely happen 100%.
Graywolf357
Reactions:

Post by Graywolf357 »

We have those long clocks for a reason!!!!.... Would be fun talking trades lol move back pick up extra 2nd round pick. I see the fears about people leaving only one year ahead I don't see it being a issue. I think it adds to many areas of the game. Also maybe worst team hates the draft. Trades out for next year.
The_Niddler
Reactions:

Post by The_Niddler »

I have always been a fan of draft pick trading in real life. Video games it worries me if you let a team trade 2-3 years ahead as if they leave, it can be a very shitty point that a new GM doesn't want to deal with.
But if you limit it to the current draft's picks, I do like being able to trade a draft pick for a player, etc.
Some teams like to have more picks. Sometimes, I like to give up a pick for a player because then I know what I am getting and don't have to take the risk.
But I definitely think it would add some fun to the league.
PSN: The_Niddler
TWITCH: The_Niddler
TheGobOne
Reactions:

Post by TheGobOne »

SD has swapped their vote (I forgot to allow vote editing) so the vote tally will be +1 Yes and -1 No.

As of this post it's 15 YES and 9 NO.
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

A limit on the amount of picks a team can have in 1 season may be a good idea if this passes.
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

shel311 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:17 pm A limit on the amount of picks a team can have in 1 season may be a good idea if this passes.
Agree! I think that is a major sticking point for some. No more than 2 picks per round
ImageImageImage
TheGobOne
Reactions:

Post by TheGobOne »

People have to trade away things to get picks. Feels like you guys are acting like they get them free. Let's cap the number of FAs you can sign in an offseason then. Seems like an arbitrary thing to put a cap on.

This would allow teams to rebuild and get out of the hole faster at the cost of at worst someone dealing their picks for next year. That's pretty mitigating as it is. Someone can maybe do that one draft. They cannot in perpetuity stack draft picks as they will run out of things to trade for them.
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

I changed it so you can change your vote
ImageImageImage
TheGobOne
Reactions:

Post by TheGobOne »

The draft pick vote passes 15-11. I know there are a lot of hesitations from some of you. I appreciate that, but let's let the system play out for a season or two before handcuffing it (or turning it off it is potentially that damaging). I trust that you guys are good enough GMs that this will have a mostly positive impact on the league. And remember, this doesn't require to trade picks at all. You still have every right as a GM to say "no I don't want to deal with picks at all" in your trade talks.

I will be enabling this in game and S+ today. There will be a new Slack channel for the opened trades and we will swap to using S+. The Trade Tool is pretty self explanatory but if you have questions please let me know. I know it will take a bit to get used and if people still want to post in the trade forums as well as the S+ tool for the time being I have no issues with that. Along with the tool comes a Pick Tracker to keep track of who owns what pick, it's pretty awesome tbh and beats doing it the manual way 100x over.

If you have questions please ask away! If this vote is enough to make you want to leave the league I ask you to give it a season. If you won't let me know asap so I can find a replacement. Thanks.

Return to “Winter Meetings”