52%
No
48%

Total votes: 25

TheGobOne
Reactions:

Remove the cap on INTL Amateur FA

Post by TheGobOne »

A LOT of people have come to me and are unhappy with how the current INTL Amateurs work. More often than not, there is 1 standout player and everyone bids the maximum $15M and crosses their fingers. Removing the cap would allow teams to spend whatever they wanted to get their man WITH the caveat that if we remove the cap then the penalties have to be put in place.

They are as follows (and are set by the game not me and I have no way to change them):
- ANY amount over the cap will be taxed with an additional 100% (ie. if you spend $20M it's actually going to cost you $25M - the base 15 plus 5 x 2.
- If a team spends between 5 and 10% over the cap, it won't be able to sign more than ONE player for a bonus of of more than $2.5M next year.
- If a team spends between 10 and 15% over the cap, it won't be able to sign more than ANY player for a bonus of more than $2.5M next year.
- If a team spends more than 15% over the cap, it won't be able to sign more than ANY player for a bonus of more than $1.25M next year.

This system essentially allows a GM to go out and spend whatever they want (probably more than $15M) for their guy but basically locks them out of the following year's class as they will be capped. This gives the GM more control if they want to take that risk for a player they really like and it's on them if a better player shows up next year and they can't do anything about it.

I am in favor of this because it directly solves one of the biggest issues of our league IMO which is free floating cash.

Please leave feedback below. Would love to hear thoughts on this one.
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Re: Remove the cap on INTL Amateur FA

Post by GeorgesGoons »

So go back to the old way?

No thanks.
ImageImageImage
DRiccio21
Reactions:

Post by DRiccio21 »

As long as we have those game penalties in place I’m fine with it.
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

That's gonna be a yes for me, dawg.
wdoupis
Reactions:

Post by wdoupis »

This is exactly the system that was in place that everyone bitched about to Ted and then voted to switch to what we have now. I personally don't care as both are fine with me but this ain't something new although we have tons of new owners so maybe thats why the voting is different.
qazhby
Reactions:

Post by qazhby »

wdoupis wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:40 pm This is exactly the system that was in place that everyone bitched about to Ted and then voted to switch to what we have now. I personally don't care as both are fine with me but this ain't something new although we have tons of new owners so maybe thats why the voting is different.
Ted had that IFA farm on lock
qazhby
Reactions:

Post by qazhby »

I'm pretty indifferent tbh, but i do know that if a prospect says that he "loves" your team he will sign for you, givent that there is also a team heloves and they offer the same amount. I think it goes like:

Love your team
Likes your team
will sign for your team

in order
Wasted Memory
Reactions:

Post by Wasted Memory »

qazhby wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:16 pm
wdoupis wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:40 pm This is exactly the system that was in place that everyone bitched about to Ted and then voted to switch to what we have now. I personally don't care as both are fine with me but this ain't something new although we have tons of new owners so maybe thats why the voting is different.
He just had more money than everyone else. Which is what we'll be dealing with again in a few seasons.
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

Wasted Memory wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:38 pm He just had more money than everyone else. Which is what we'll be dealing with again in a few seasons.
Yea, Ted did have a process, it wasn't just random luck. And it did have limitations, every other year.

He always intentionally kept a low ish payroll, probably under $130mil. So while we complained a lot that he had money, he also had the discipline to never keep a bloated payroll ever under any circumstances.

He had a solid process, stuck with the process, and executed it perfectly.
dakshdar
Reactions:

Post by dakshdar »

Wasted Memory wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:38 pm
He just had more money than everyone else. Which is what we'll be dealing with again in a few seasons.
But he could still only get a guy every other year, so it was always a gamble that there was a better player the next year he'd miss out on.

My (likely bad) recollection of Ted and the IFAs was that he'd also routinely get people to trade him their IFAs for his soon to be old and broken down players so he could cycle super efficiently even with the IFA spending limits in place. And every time it happened everyone would ask "Why are you trading with Ted?" but there was never a good answer.
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

dakshdar wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:41 pm My (likely bad) recollection of Ted and the IFAs was that he'd also routinely get people to trade him their IFAs for his soon to be old and broken down players so he could cycle super efficiently even with the IFA spending limits in place.
This speaks to my post above. He had zero loyalty to any of his dudes(I don't mean that in a bad way), routinely trading a guy as his arb years were coming up before having to give them the big contract. This kept the payroll down compared to other good teams, and he used that extra money that other good teams didn't have to buy those great IFA prospects.
qazhby
Reactions:

Post by qazhby »

dakshdar wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:41 pm
Wasted Memory wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:38 pm
But he could still only get a guy every other year, so it was always a gamble that there was a better player the next year he'd miss out on.

My (likely bad) recollection of Ted and the IFAs was that he'd also routinely get people to trade him their IFAs for his soon to be old and broken down players so he could cycle super efficiently even with the IFA spending limits in place. And every time it happened everyone would ask "Why are you trading with Ted?" but there was never a good answer.
Yeah Ted had a great system- I always knew if Ted came and asked about an IFA I had then I had to keep him lol
qazhby
Reactions:

Post by qazhby »

Ted also gave slightly better deals than anyone else that's why everyone traded with him, which is kinda hilarious and super smart
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

qazhby wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:46 pm I always knew if Ted came and asked about an IFA I had then I had to keep him lol
It eventually got to a point where I legit entertained zero trade talks if he asked about IFAs of mine.

I'm not exaggerating when I say multiple times he offered me really good looking prospects, probably near blue rated dudes for 20 potential IFAs of mine, and I'd just say nope, not doing it. :lol:
nick
Reactions:

Post by nick »

i spent $20 mil on a player once so im always down to remove it. Say goodbye to any UFAs signing tho as everyone will save their money for IFA time.
nick
Reactions:

Post by nick »

People quickly forget that "NGR".. which.. (we gotta talk about that name).. was called that because Ted routinely shredded new guys in deals..
qazhby
Reactions:

Post by qazhby »

nick wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:08 am Say goodbye to any UFAs signing tho as everyone will save their money for IFA time.
that is actually a great point, people already dont spend in free agency
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

qazhby wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:18 am
nick wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:08 am Say goodbye to any UFAs signing tho as everyone will save their money for IFA time.
that is actually a great point, people already dont spend in free agency
Good, that opens up an aspect of the game for folks to take advantage of in the league.
TheGobOne
Reactions:

Post by TheGobOne »

nick wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:08 am i spent $20 mil on a player once so im always down to remove it. Say goodbye to any UFAs signing tho as everyone will save their money for IFA time.
There aren't THAT many good players tbh and it gives GMs the options which is the goal. I want you guys to have options. Not hit 15M and pray.
TheGobOne
Reactions:

Post by TheGobOne »

This has passed 13-11 and is now implemented into the game.

Return to “Winter Meetings”