No
75%

Total votes: 20

TheGobOne
Reactions:

Remove Compensation Draft Picks

Post by TheGobOne »

I propose removing Comp Picks from the game. There are quite a few reasons:

1) It's a huge deterrent to signing FAs and a major reason a lot of good FAs sit there until mid season when the comp tag wears off.
2) I honestly don't even know the rules or situations in which you would lose what round of draft pick anymore. It's extremely convoluted.
3) Qualifying Offers would be removed
4) Would encourage more trading as you wouldn't hang on to a guy in the hopes he declines a QO (which is now 18+M guaranteed) so you can get a draft pick

Overall, I'm not a big fan of convoluted systems which take control away from the GM (you have no idea if a guy will accept a QO or not).

I want to get this up before the trade deadline as it may impact some GMs plans so the earlier the better.
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Re: Remove Compensation Draft Picks

Post by GeorgesGoons »

I don't think this changes anything. Guys will still sit in the FA list. It was a lot different when we initially started. If you offered a QO and they didn't take you would get a comp pick at the end of the first round. I like the idea that it is not an automatic 1st round supplemental pick
ImageImageImage
wdoupis
Reactions:

Post by wdoupis »

From what I saw there is 1 person in free agency that is comp eligible. I don't think it deters anyone since we went to the new CBA as you only lose a 2nd or worse. Some of these points would have applied before when we were losing 1st round picks.

Either way, I think we should keep it.
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

How about we just force retire guys that have been sitting in FA for 2 full seasons.
ImageImageImage
michaelk
Reactions:

Post by michaelk »

FTR I signed 2 players and it cost me a 3rd and 4th round pick which sucks (for me at least). I lost a 3rd to Alabama, and a 4th to Burnaby. Trying to build a team and to also stay competitive goes out the window when I am losing picks to my top divisional team just because they either can't afford to pay the guy or just let him walk knowing they'll get a pick for him if he signs elsewhere... makes no sense to me. Granted, I've never played in a league before that has this enabled so I am experiencing it for the first time.
TheGobOne
Reactions:

Post by TheGobOne »

No worries, I love the feedback and I know there are things I'm missing on some of these. Just happy to revisit this stuff and get concise idea of where the league is at. Happy to get 15 votes within hours. Well done gents.

Return to “Winter Meetings”