Gradually remove Stats and AI deviations

Post Winter Meeting topics here

Moderators: Cnasty, Ry, nick, ReignOnU, Bernie32

Gradually move the deviations in Stats and AI back towards default settings (25% at a time)?

Yes
93%
No
7%

Total votes: 29

TheGobOne
Reactions:

Gradually remove Stats and AI deviations

Post by TheGobOne »

You may have missed the discussion in the season thread but I noticed some pretty wonky settings in the Stats and AI section of our settings recently. I believe this happened as there was a box checked that had those settings "evolve". Well some of them evolved to be pretty far off base as you will see.

I put together a spreadsheet here - NDL Stats and Deviations - which highlights all those stats and how far they are from the default setting (aka the deviation).

There are some absolute boners in there and here's a few that stick out:
- Shortstops will make 50% MORE errors
- There will be 50% MORE Sac Flies
- There are 30% LESS triples
- And my favorite is that RF will randomly make 16% LESS errors

I propose to move these totals back towards default settings SLOWLY. I would like to lower the deviations over a 4 year period (25% each year) back to the default settings. For example, if approved, I would move SS Errors from 1.499 to 1.374 (a 0.125 drop).

This will allow us to monitor any impact these changes will have and decide if we like where the setting is at or need to continue bringing it back towards default.

I don't believe every setting needs to be at exactly default but some of the outrageous ones (like SS errors) really makes no sense.

Please discuss below. Would love to hear all feedback. Thanks.
qazhby
Reactions:

Re: Gradually remove Stats and AI deviations

Post by qazhby »

Need access to see the spreadsheet
qazhby
Reactions:

Post by qazhby »

I would love to hear some people's thoughts on this bc i have no idea how it will affect our league. I really don't think any are that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things, but its weird how they got that way.

I wonder if we had league evolution on for a period of time? Maybe even at the start and these settings were always like that? idk
TheGobOne
Reactions:

Post by TheGobOne »

qazhby wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:46 pm Need access to see the spreadsheet
Fixed my bad.
TheGobOne
Reactions:

Post by TheGobOne »

qazhby wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:46 pm I would love to hear some people's thoughts on this bc i have no idea how it will affect our league. I really don't think any are that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things, but its weird how they got that way.

I wonder if we had league evolution on for a period of time? Maybe even at the start and these settings were always like that? idk
Ya it's hard to say how long they've been that way. And as a guy who just won the WS I have the most to lose I guess you could say since I won under these settings. But some are so far off it's crazy.

The nice thing is the ones that aren't off by much even moving them 25% won't really affect them because they are so close to default already.
Graywolf357
Reactions:

Post by Graywolf357 »

Errors happen in MLB, sometimes dumb errors. But if you watch any of these games a lot of dumb crazy shit happens….. it’s the god damn Big League boy’s.
ajalves
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by ajalves »

If i am understanding correct, you're saying particular positions make more or less errors based on the stadium they play in?

That's absurd and in my opinion should be base lined immediately.

I understand some ball parks being slightly more hitter friendly, etc etc etc. But defensive attributes being relatively null and void based on where the game is being played is dumb

again, thats if i am understanding correctly
ajalves
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by ajalves »

i also dont necessarily think it needs to be done 'slowly'

tear the band aid off
Whittness10
Reactions:

Post by Whittness10 »

AJ the way I understand it is those settings are across the board, no matter what ballpark they are playing in.
plasma1896
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by plasma1896 »

just go 50% then the other 50% and lets get it back sooner. or like AJ said, pull the bandaid off
TheGobOne
Reactions:

Post by TheGobOne »

ajalves wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:25 pm If i am understanding correct, you're saying particular positions make more or less errors based on the stadium they play in?

That's absurd and in my opinion should be base lined immediately.

I understand some ball parks being slightly more hitter friendly, etc etc etc. But defensive attributes being relatively null and void based on where the game is being played is dumb

again, thats if i am understanding correctly
Ya it's not ballpark based. It's league wide overall.
wdoupis
Reactions:

Post by wdoupis »

You can’t just pull the band aid off. Those modifiers make extreme changes. If you go to 1.0 default I wouldn’t be surprised to see SS make 5 errors or less. Ryan has the right idea going slowly as I can almost guarantee we will want to stop much sooner than default.

It is not ballpark dependent
ajalves
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by ajalves »

got it
nick
Reactions:

Post by nick »

Note to self: play worst OF in RF
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Post by ReignOnU »

nick wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:47 pm Note to self: play worst OF in RF
...might want to take a look at your own park factors and those that you play more frequently. :-)

There's a reason why I had an asymmetrical park.
PSN: ReignOnU
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Post by ReignOnU »

Sounds like the setup changed over the years, but there should be a check vs MLB totals each season to ensure general alignment. A quick data pull from your stats site shouldn't take long.
PSN: ReignOnU
TheGobOne
Reactions:

Post by TheGobOne »

Added a new tab to the sheet to show correction info. Should help visualize the changes.
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

I'm not a fan of the HBP numbers increasing. We are going to see a large increase in injuries due to this i think.
ImageImageImage
TheGobOne
Reactions:

Post by TheGobOne »

GeorgesGoons wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:39 pm I'm not a fan of the HBP numbers increasing. We are going to see a large increase in injuries due to this i think.
It's a generally rare occurrence already and with our Low injury settings I don't think this will add much in the way of injuries. I could be wrong but the math says probably very little increase due to this.
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

TheGobOne wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:52 pm
GeorgesGoons wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:39 pm I'm not a fan of the HBP numbers increasing. We are going to see a large increase in injuries due to this i think.
It's a generally rare occurrence already and with our Low injury settings I don't think this will add much in the way of injuries. I could be wrong but the math says probably very little increase due to this.
It seems most injuries occur by a collision at a base or HBP, at least that's what I see a lot for my hitters.

The best part about doing this over a 4 year span is you can see if something gets to wacky in a year and can adjust that one
ImageImageImage

Return to “Winter Meetings”