Fantasy Basketball Advice

Various fantasy sports leagues for NDL members.
nick
Reactions:

Fantasy Basketball Advice

Post by nick »

So Itook over a keeper team from a buddy, its eh. I ran some projection numbers and i got Lowry, Josh Smith, Walker and Drummond to keep, but I feel like thats a bad idea.

Anyways, 4 keepers, who would u guys keep? I know Drummond should be kept but that FT% is horrrrrifying.

Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Re: Fantasy Basketball Advice

Post by Cnasty »

Speaking of...where has Dave been?
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Post by ReignOnU »

Do you have to keep 4? Are the 4 guys you keep tied to a specific round in the draft?
PSN: ReignOnU
nick
Reactions:

Post by nick »

ya have too. 1-4.
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Post by ReignOnU »

2nd person I've run in to that has this dumbass setup. You're basically doomed unless you get elite talent at some point. So all you do is draft ridiculously high upside players and try to do 2 for 1 trades until you have an elite starting 5.

So with that said, in your position, Drummond, Favors, MCW, and either Lowry or Walker... I'd probably go Walker, just because I think what we saw from Lowry last season was his peak. He could maintain it for 1-2yrs, but that's the most he'll give.
PSN: ReignOnU
nick
Reactions:

Post by nick »

need some help. So because I dont know ball too well I normally run numbers to find best value, well that seems to backfire cause i dont understand what each position should really have. Now in a perfect world, a player would be a 9 cat guy but for the most part theyre not.

The 9 categories are FG, FT%, 3PTM, Pts, Reb, Ast, Stl, Blk and Turnovers.

What, per position (PG, SG, SF, etc) would each position wanna have strengths in and not really care about weaknesses? like ex i guess C's wouldnt need 3PTM, but would FT% be vital for a C? cause a lot of them have baddd FT%. Things like that.

Id appreciate any help I could get.
DRiccio21
Reactions:

Post by DRiccio21 »

Guards
pros: points, assists, 3pm, ft%, stl
cons: turnovers, rebounds, fg%, blk

Centers
pros: blks, rebounds, fg%
cons: assists, ft%, 3pm

Forwards

somewhere in between

there is much different strategy b/w head to head and roto. i play roto so any advice i give is based on that.

if you have a late pick in 1st round a good strategy is to find 2 bigs that don't hurt you in FT%. so guys like Aldridge or Bosh or Jefferson or Ibaka that don't hurt you in FT% that much can be a great start to a team build. the thing about roto is you really need to understand what you're trying to build. some guys punt certain categories and try to load up in the others. that takes alot of preparation and luck during the draft. some guys take lesser overall players who are more consistent players across categories,etc. so for example i don't draft Dwight Howard or Drummond basically ever. mostly because i don't like to punt. if you get a guy who ruins your ft% then you'll often see guys just load up with horrible ft% and totally give up on that category. it looks like your team might have had that strategy with Drummond, Smith, Favors and Jordan. i typically take guys like Batum, Kawhi, G Hayward etc etc who might not be very good in any one category but don't hurt you in any. i like finding guys who do things well that their positions don't normally do. like guards that rebound alot or forwards that can hit 3s. also if you're only using G,F,C and not pg,sg,sf,pf,c as the categories its usually very helpful to find players that can play 2 positions. so much so that if you have the 20th ranked player left and the 25th ranked player, i'd consider taking the worse of the 2 if he was multi positional

there are a ton of roto team building articles you can read to get more familiar with how it works.
nick
Reactions:

Post by nick »

ya the league is H2H and we have keepers (4 each). I took over for a buddy who lost in the finals. I kept the top 4 simply cause i had 10 mins to pick keepers (forgot). So I'm starting with Lowry, Kemba, Jordan and Drummond, a FT nightmare lol. Also dont have a first round pick (dealt it) so I pick at 16th.

Cause its keeper, people draft funny, like Wiggins is going #1 overall cause they wanna keep him forever. This is the available players at the top

Spoiler!
DRiccio21
Reactions:

Post by DRiccio21 »

you should basically just try to mimic what the guy who had your team last year did.

you have no choice but to punt FT% with Drummond and Jordan. so you should target guys that others may pass on bc of the FT%. Favors, Josh Smith, Faried, etc. and you should stay far away from guys like Kevin Martin or Ryan Anderson who's value comes in large part to FT%. you don't want good ft%, they won't help you.
nick
Reactions:

Post by nick »

Andre Drummond continued to own the paint against the Hawks Saturday, grabbing 17 rebounds with two steals, three blocks and 19 points.

Advice: On the downside, he did shoot just 1-of-7 from the line, so that's not good. Besides that, the stats are going to be coming in bunches and he'll probably have so many 20-20s this season that he'll be doing TV commercials for Lasik companies. If you're in a league that doesn't penalize for FT%, he's arguably the best player to draft.
(Rotoworld.com)

i like it, minus the FT% info. This draft is tomorrow, nervous
nick
Reactions:

Post by nick »

this is my team in a non keeper league. all 9 cats and 12 teams. a lotttt of rookies
Spoiler!
DRiccio21
Reactions:

Post by DRiccio21 »

nick wrote: i like it, minus the FT% info. This draft is tomorrow, nervous
if you're punting FT%, it doesn't matter.
nick
Reactions:

Post by nick »

keeper draft is tonight. my 1st pick is like 16th cause buddy dealt his 1st last yr. Im gonna paste (in spoilers) the available players and based on projects/numbers how i run my ranking system. Who should I hope will be there at 16 in best case scenario? Its keeper so if Beal is an upgrade long term over my 4 keepers, i wouldnt be hesitant to take him if there.

Also, since keeper, my assumption is Wiggins/Parker will go 1-2.

Keepers/Roster:
PG: Lowry
SG:
SF:
PF: Drummond (Roto says he would be the best player in the draft if FT% didnt matter)
C: D Jordan
G: Kemba
F:
C:
Util
Util
Bench
Bench
Bench

Available players:

PG:
Spoiler!
SG:
Spoiler!
SF:
Spoiler!
PF:
Spoiler!
C:
Spoiler!
nick
Reactions:

Post by nick »

also is there anyone i should avoid cause of injury concerns?
nick
Reactions:

Post by nick »

my picks are SO ugly i almost wanna use my 16th pick on paul george and stash him for the year because he would be a keeper upgrade to one of the 4 i have. I took over the worst possible dropped team. 3 picks in 2nd last round. Almost wanna bomb yr and take youth risk picks
DRiccio21
Reactions:

Post by DRiccio21 »

nick wrote:my picks are SO ugly i almost wanna use my 16th pick on paul george and stash him for the year because he would be a keeper upgrade to one of the 4 i have. I took over the worst possible dropped team. 3 picks in 2nd last round. Almost wanna bomb yr and take youth risk picks
i thought your team that you took over was pretty perfectly built to be honest
nick
Reactions:

Post by nick »

DRiccio21 wrote:
nick wrote:my picks are SO ugly i almost wanna use my 16th pick on paul george and stash him for the year because he would be a keeper upgrade to one of the 4 i have. I took over the worst possible dropped team. 3 picks in 2nd last round. Almost wanna bomb yr and take youth risk picks
i thought your team that you took over was pretty perfectly built to be honest
that was last years team and only get to keep 4 guys. he lost in the finals
DRiccio21
Reactions:

Post by DRiccio21 »

if you play it right you still have a great 4.

i probably would have kept Josh Smith over Kemba if you're punting FT's.

Nerlens Noel is another great guy to have if you're punting FT's. Favors as well. in no particular order Elfrid Payton, Tony Wroten, MCW, Rondo,Lance Stephenson, Wade, are some guards who get added value if you're punting FT's
nick
Reactions:

Post by nick »

thank you. never done a keeper bball draft before so this is gonna be fun.
nick
Reactions:

Post by nick »

dave youve been a great help and i appreciate it. 1 final Q before i go into this, is there a position like football, where i should try and stock up on? or just balance my team out

Return to “Fantasy Sports”