Colorado/Ski Trip

Going on a trip? Looking for some travel advice or places to visit? This is your place.
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Colorado/Ski Trip

Post by Cnasty »

Turning the BIG 4-0 next year and my wife has surprised me with a ski trip to Colorado since I have talked about it since we have been together it seems but never made it happen.

Problem being, she basically just said we are doing it and has zero clue about the specifics or best place to actually go. :lol:

So I think we have some NDLers in Colorado so where is the best place for a long weekend, ski trip, cabin like get away?

Aspen? Vail?

I assume there will be snow in February? Tells you how much we know as Floridians.
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Re: Colorado/Ski Trip

Post by shel311 »

We'll probably be right behind you, hoping to go next year or the following year.

I'll let you do the dirty work and just follow suit. :)
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

Yea this will also be used as our scouting trip for an annual type thing with the kids in the future when they get a bit older.
wdoupis
Reactions:

Post by wdoupis »

I used to do this annually for about 7 years and I think Breckenridge is the absolute best and if it is just you and your wife that is a perfect place to go.
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

1 vote for Breckenridge and as a certified world traveler, Billy's vote may count for 2 or 3.

Any specific places to check out that you can remember or recommend?
wdoupis
Reactions:

Post by wdoupis »

Man, I really can't remember as a few of the years I traveled with girlfriends who did the booking and some of the years I crashed with friends who lived in Silverthorne. You really can't go wrong there as its a pretty quiet and romantic town with lots of cool pubs, coffee shops and restaurants. Slopes are great as well.
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

I've never skied and I assume it takes a good day or 2 to even enjoy it so unsure if a long weekend is enough to get it done. Thats exactly what I am hoping for. Some pubs, try out some skiing, check out the sights.
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

It's really not that hard. It honestly took me 10-15 minutes the only time I ever went to get to a point where it's enjoyable. I obviously still fell a lot that entire day, but it wasn't a fall every 10 seconds once you get going.

Not sure if you ever ice skated...it's nothing like that. I can't skate for shit, but skiing is much, much easier to pick up IMO.
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

I used to wake board a lot waaaay back in the day and was good there but you saying its nothing like ice skating makes me feel a million times better.

I can't do that for shit.

Thats good to hear then!
Uuaww
Reactions:

Post by Uuaww »

breckenridge is where you want to go. If it is just the two of you, splurge on a good hotel right in the middle of the action. You want to have easy in and out access. This isn't one of those times that you will never be in your hotel so choose a good one. Since you are going without kids, don't bother with an airbnb.
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

I knew Teddy would weigh in and his votes are as much if not more than Billy's :)

I assume you fly into Denver, rent a car or take a shuttle and then you don't need anything while there as its all walking distance?

Thanks fellas.
Uuaww
Reactions:

Post by Uuaww »

Cnasty wrote:I knew Teddy would weigh in and his votes are as much if not more than Billy's :)

I assume you fly into Denver, rent a car or take a shuttle and then you don't need anything while there as its all walking distance?

Thanks fellas.
shuttles. everything will be either within walking, shuttle or uber away. don't rent a car.
wdoupis
Reactions:

Post by wdoupis »

I rented an suv every time as it’s like 90 minute drive from Denver if I remember correctly. I don’t know anything about the shuttles.
Weasel
Reactions:

Post by Weasel »

Ive always wanted to do this but have never gone skiing. Didnt want to learn on a giant mountain and blow an ACL or something. Good point making the actual ski part a smaller part of the trip though
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

I have a feeling we will be with large group of 9 year olds and I will be on training skis or something. Only going for 4 days will make this interesting.
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

Weasel wrote: Didnt want to learn on a giant mountain and blow an ACL or something.
My wife did just this the only time I ever went skiing. She's from Pennsylvania so she knows how to ski. It wasn't a giant mountain but her ski somehow fell off or something and she fell awkardly, torn ACL.

That was probably 7-8 years ago, and other than knee scope, she's never got the ACL fixed.
Weasel
Reactions:

Post by Weasel »

Not unusual, ACL is usually less an issue with pain and more about instability. If youre not an athlete, lots forego the surgery
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

Oh yea. Injuring myself is a top concern thats for sure!
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

Cnasty wrote:Oh yea. Injuring myself is a top concern thats for sure!
Go big or go home!!!

It's funny, it's the completely opposite of what you'd expect with my boys. We found this skate park they're addicted to that they ride their bikes on. Normally, the young kid would be doing wreckless stuff, and the parents would be telling them to tone it down. But my boys are super cautious, and i'm the one telling them to do the trick bigger and faster.

Maybe it's just terrible parenting. :lol:
packsyd2284
Reactions:

Post by packsyd2284 »

Corey I dated a girl who had a cabin outside of Vail. It is absolutely gorgeous but obviously on the expensive end.

Someone mentioned Breckinridge above, I highly recommend that as well. Try and go to Vail for one of the days though and go down what are known as "the back bowls." Breathtaking views and WIDE OPEN runs.

Return to “Travel”