Germany

Going on a trip? Looking for some travel advice or places to visit? This is your place.
Wasted Memory
Reactions:

Germany

Post by Wasted Memory »

Haven't really ever seen anyone talk about Germany but thought maybe someone's been there, done that.

Heading to Bonn and Dusseldorf Dec 9th - 17th. Anyone have a "must do" suggestion? Taking wife with me, she's already plotting out the Christmas Markets and Beethoven's home.
DRiccio21
Reactions:

Re: Germany

Post by DRiccio21 »

i was in Dusseldorf for a day, don't remember anything except the airport was nice.
Wasted Memory
Reactions:

Post by Wasted Memory »

DRiccio21 wrote:i was in Dusseldorf for a day, don't remember anything except the airport was nice.
Can I assume good beer then? :)
packsyd2284
Reactions:

Post by packsyd2284 »

I went to Germany last year. I did a lot of guided tours then shopped and drank and went out at night. I wasn't in any major cities besides Nuremberg, but they aren't know for their night life at all, more for the WW2 history, and they had an unbelievable Xmas Market.

Hit every Xmas Market you can, they are unbelievable. The best one I went to was in Reagensberg. Hope this helps a bit.
Wasted Memory
Reactions:

Post by Wasted Memory »

packsyd2284 wrote:I went to Germany last year. I did a lot of guided tours then shopped and drank and went out at night. I wasn't in any major cities besides Nuremberg, but they aren't know for their night life at all, more for the WW2 history, and they had an unbelievable Xmas Market.

Hit every Xmas Market you can, they are unbelievable. The best one I went to was in Reagensberg. Hope this helps a bit.

Yeah, my wife is giddy at the thought of all the different Christmas markets she can hit up. I'll use your words as a means of hope though. I kind of imagined a once you've seen one you've seen 'em all type of thing. :lol:
packsyd2284
Reactions:

Post by packsyd2284 »

Wasted Memory wrote:
packsyd2284 wrote:I went to Germany last year. I did a lot of guided tours then shopped and drank and went out at night. I wasn't in any major cities besides Nuremberg, but they aren't know for their night life at all, more for the WW2 history, and they had an unbelievable Xmas Market.

Yeah, my wife is giddy at the thought of all the different Christmas markets she can hit up. I'll use your words as a means of hope though. I kind of imagined a once you've seen one you've seen 'em all type of thing. :lol:
Yes and no. If you are going solely for shopping then yea, they can get a tad tedious, however, each one makes its own special hot wines that are phenomenal and warm your ass up.

Careful out there, I know the one in Munch last year some crazy asshole drove a big rig through and killed a bunch of people.
Wasted Memory
Reactions:

Post by Wasted Memory »

This trip has been a nightmare...

Left Cookeville at 7am Saturday the 9th. Had a way to long layover in Charlotte. Get to London and they're already announcing a 2 hour delay for the flight. Two hours before the flight, canceled. Stay the night at what had to be the worst hotel in London (Ibis). Wouldn't give us our luggage. Said it was in secure storage.

Next morning we are rebooked on a carrier not associated with the original carrier (AA). What could go wrong! To top it off, instead of going to Dusseldorf they are sending us to Frankfurt.

Land in Frankfurt...no luggage. No record of luggage. File claim and go look for train to Bonn, where we're supposed to be. Lady working counter at train station tells us to hurry because the train is leaving. We run down to the train and get on right as doors are closing. Oops...wrong train.

Finally get that cleared up by switching trains at several different stops. Make it to Bonn 59 hours after we left.

Was supposed to start work Monday morning, but due to London can't start till Tuesday. Customer was understanding though.

Friday at about 3pm we finally get our luggage! Hurray! Friday and Saturday go fairly well, just enjoying some time in Cologne and Dusseldorf. Christmas markets.

Sunday...show up at airport to check in and leave. Hmmm, something wrong with my flight reservation and can't check me in. Two hours on the phone (internationally) and a missed flight later I'm finally rebooked. They tried rebooking me but not my wife. Told me her ticket was fine and she could have flown...

Sitting here now, with wife, praying this rebooked flight works this time.

I'm never going to Germany again...
DRiccio21
Reactions:

Post by DRiccio21 »

haaaaaaaaaaaaa.

smile bro, these are good problems to have.

my biggest takeaway.... Cookeville is a real place. who knew
Weasel
Reactions:

Post by Weasel »

Logistical nightmare
The_Niddler
Reactions:

Post by The_Niddler »

DRiccio21 wrote: Cookeville is a real place. who knew

Was thinking the same thing.
PSN: The_Niddler
TWITCH: The_Niddler
packsyd2284
Reactions:

Post by packsyd2284 »

How were the Xmas Markets?!?!
Wasted Memory
Reactions:

Post by Wasted Memory »

packsyd2284 wrote:How were the Xmas Markets?!?!
Pretty cool. Great food and drinks.
Weirdly though, I always think of places over in Europe like you hear about them in old movies or stories, so was kind of disappointing to see the markets so, I don't know, modern? Was hoping for some old world type stuff. No real complaints though.
The_Niddler wrote:
DRiccio21 wrote: Cookeville is a real place. who knew

Was thinking the same thing.
Come on guys, it's the home of Biffy! :)

DRiccio21 wrote:

smile bro, these are good problems to have.
Was actually telling the wife, through it all it was quite the experience and we have a great story to tell now. Having received the luggage on Friday, the only complaint I have is I wish they had just waited longer. Two more days and I wouldn't have had to lug it around from Cologne to Dusseldorf and then home again. :lol:
BFiVL
Reactions:

Post by BFiVL »

Cookeville is Home to a great NDL champion and one shitty NDL player.
Wasted Memory
Reactions:

Post by Wasted Memory »

BFiVL wrote:Cookeville is Home to a great NDL champion and one shitty NDL player.

Hmm, you and Crowes on the outs again?
BFiVL
Reactions:

Post by BFiVL »

Wasted Memory wrote:
BFiVL wrote:Cookeville is Home to a great NDL champion and one shitty NDL player.

Hmm, you and Crowes on the outs again?

Crowes moved a few years back. Got married. Have a baby. Lives in southern Tennessee. Just me and you homegirl.
texasfan4444
Reactions:

Post by texasfan4444 »

Sounds like a nightmare Pete. It would of been made much easier without the extra cargo en tote. hahha!

Return to “Travel”