Two dead surge protectors?

Come one, come all. Talk about anything not league or video game football related here.
dakshdar
Reactions:

Two dead surge protectors?

Post by dakshdar »

Anyone ever had a surge protector die when the power comes back on after an outage?

We had the power go out (entire house) for about 2 minutes this morning.

When it came back on, two of my single pole breakers popped in the box. Went and flipped them back. Power came back on to the outlets but in each case there was a large size (8+) surge protector in that room that had a TV + stereo + computer or PS5 + ancillary other things on it that didn't come back up. All the devices are 100% fine but the surge protector just provides no power and can't be reset.

I guess it is possible this is the intended purpose but I've never seen something like this happen before after a brief/random outage.

I'm also wondering if I should have flipped the surge protector off first and then flipped the breakers - not sure if flipping the breakers caused the surge or if that happen when the power came back on (before the breakers popped). I would guess the latter as the surge likely caused the breakers to go but not before killing the surge protector.

Just a very random experience this morning.
dakshdar
Reactions:

Re: Two dead surge protectors?

Post by dakshdar »

Have also determined that more than 18 LED bulbs in the house are now at ~half brightness or less and likely can't be salvaged.

Update: Oddly these are all back to normal a day later. I have no clue what's going on there.
Last edited by dakshdar on Tue May 09, 2023 10:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
LetsGoPeay
Reactions:

Post by LetsGoPeay »

You’re the rocket scientist…..
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

LetsGoPeay wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 5:20 am You’re the rocket scientist…..
:lol: :lol:
ImageImageImage
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

Does the surge protector have a fuse that may need to be replaced?
ImageImageImage
dakshdar
Reactions:

Post by dakshdar »

GeorgesGoons wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 7:44 am Does the surge protector have a fuse that may need to be replaced?
If it does have a fuse it is sealed inside the unit and not replaceable. The basic GFCI type reset isn't helping it.
Last edited by dakshdar on Tue May 09, 2023 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
dakshdar
Reactions:

Post by dakshdar »

GeorgesGoons wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 7:42 am
LetsGoPeay wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 5:20 am You’re the rocket scientist…..
:lol: :lol:
I'm a mechanical rocket scientist - not electrical.
Weasel
Reactions:

Post by Weasel »

My first thought was that the surge protector did its job (protected your other electronics) and burned itself. That said, I dont know shit about electrical
The_Niddler
Reactions:

Post by The_Niddler »

dakshdar wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:40 pm Have also determined that more than 18 LED bulbs in the house are now at ~half brightness or less and likely can't be salvaged.

Update: Oddly these are all back to normal a day later. I have no clue what's going on there.
My guess is, whatever happened, caused your section of the power grid to be at half power.
Then the power company fixed the problem and that is why the lights were back to normal.

Here in Ohio, they call it a Brown out when you are at half power like that and the lights being dim is normal in that situation.
PSN: The_Niddler
TWITCH: The_Niddler
dakshdar
Reactions:

Post by dakshdar »

The_Niddler wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 10:08 am
dakshdar wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:40 pm Have also determined that more than 18 LED bulbs in the house are now at ~half brightness or less and likely can't be salvaged.

My guess is, whatever happened, caused your section of the power grid to be at half power.
Then the power company fixed the problem and that is why the lights were back to normal.

Here in Ohio, they call it a Brown out when you are at half power like that and the lights being dim is normal in that situation.
Actually, the dimming lights has been happening every night since the first power outage day. I thought they were back to normal because during the day they're at full brightness but after about 5 or 6 pm they dim down for the next 4-5 hours. Spoke to one of the electric company guys and he suspects something is going on with the voltage coming to the house (and other houses around us) later in the day when the load draw is higher. He said they'd be coming around every couple of days to take readings but I haven't heard back from them since.

It's not the worst thing in the world, but it is weird.
The_Niddler
Reactions:

Post by The_Niddler »

It can be the worst thing if the voltage is low. It can cause appliances and larger items to crap out.
dakshdar
Reactions:

Post by dakshdar »

Damnit. Now I'm worried again!
The_Niddler
Reactions:

Post by The_Niddler »

dakshdar wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 8:57 pm Damnit. Now I'm worried again!
I would definitely get it looked at. Again, if it is low voltage, that is just as bad as high voltage, it can cause the motors in appliances and stuff to burn out.

Return to “Off Topic Forum”