Stocks

Come one, come all. Talk about anything not league or video game football related here.
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Re: Stocks

Post by GeorgesGoons »

nick wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:53 pm Coulda worked 3 hours and made $65
Or a half an our for me
ImageImageImage
nick
Reactions:

Post by nick »

coulda been 10 mins if u put it on Red at the table then black after you won and then finally black once again to triple up.
nick
Reactions:

Post by nick »

My weed stock has gone from 27 cents to 43ish. Basically I am a pro stock broker
The_Niddler
Reactions:

Post by The_Niddler »

nick wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:00 pm My weed stock has gone from 27 cents to 43ish. Basically I am a pro stock broker

Keep smoking and buying nick! It is working!
PSN: The_Niddler
TWITCH: The_Niddler
plasma1896
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by plasma1896 »

nick wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:00 pm My weed stock has gone from 27 cents to 43ish. Basically I am a pro stock broker
Sundial Growers?
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

plasma1896 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:22 am
Sundial Growers?
Sundial is up to around 90 cents last I checked
ImageImageImage
plasma1896
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by plasma1896 »

GeorgesGoons wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:44 am
plasma1896 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:22 am
Sundial Growers?
Sundial is up to around 90 cents last I checked
its like .88 today ,but back in February it was $2.95 i got in around .91
plasma1896
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by plasma1896 »

My son has paid for his last 2 years business school thanks to a doge
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

Loving the United Health stock. When the wife worked there she got stock options and ended up forgetting all about them for 4 years. Her $2800 investment is now up to $13772.

Talked with the knucklehead yesterday about starting to invest part of his check. He didn't see the reason for it till we pulled up a website and it showed how $500 a month for 40 years ($240k investment) could be worth $3.5M with an annual 7% return. Not sure if 7% is obtainable on average for the 40 years but it at least got him to think about his future and becoming financially stable as an adult.
ImageImageImage
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

The only question I have is, would it be better for a 19-year-old to invest say 80% of his investment in mutual funds, 10%, and to establish company stock and 10% into a higher risk higher reward stock since he's that young?
ImageImageImage
TheGobOne
Reactions:

Post by TheGobOne »

Typical theory is to go much more aggressive when you're younger as if you lose that money you have time to make it back. Higher risk/reward when younger.
plasma1896
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by plasma1896 »

19 year old, just put it in a high risk 401k at a young age. just keep dumping in there.
Weasel
Reactions:

Post by Weasel »

Mutual funds are stocks. 100% into a mutual fund would be an aggressive/risky portfolio, fine for his age.
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

Weasel wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:58 pm Mutual funds are stocks. 100% into a mutual fund would be an aggressive/risky portfolio, fine for his age.
Aren't mutual funds a blend of a bunch of different stocks? So if one goes belly up it doesn't completely ruin the fund? I'm dumb when it comes to this, we would probably get that book that Riccio said to read and get a safe strategy. He doesn't like losing money and would get very turned off of investing if he went high risk / high reward and it tanked on him. Want him to get his feet wet in some safer bets while he is in college and once he graduates and gets a real job he can go a little riskier. He makes about $250 every 2 weeks in salary and can make almost twice as much in tips delivering for Jimmy John's
ImageImageImage
TheGobOne
Reactions:

Post by TheGobOne »

At this point, with hyperinflation coming down the pipe, pretty much anything is better than just holding cash.

Let's be honest though, just tell him to stick it all in crypto lol.
DRiccio21
Reactions:

Post by DRiccio21 »

passive investing = dumping a set amount into mutual funds/etf's and then adding a set amount every year/month/week whatever... you use time and risk tolerance as your factors for making decisions. this isn't market timing and is intended to ride out the good times and the nasty times and over time just go on whatever ride the mkt brings you on. this is probably the best bet for 95% of people as it takes the human elements out of it. passive investing isn't going to make you huge dollar amounts quickly but over time should build up a nest egg to meet you future needs if allocated properly and should keep you around whatever the indexes are doing +/- depending on the risk taken when creating the allocation. example of this is probably what most people do in their 401k's.

active investing = using market timing techniques to try to capitalize on trends. the vast vast vast majority of people who try to do this eventually blow up. they make some money on a trade or maybe even for a year or 2 years, think its easy and then make a bad trade and freeze and don't know what to do and then blow themselves up, add more money to the bad trade, then either lose everything or swear off active management and never do it again. 75% of the time active management should be insanely boring, taking small losses, waiting for good trends, then the 25% of the year when the mkt is really strong taking advantage of those periods aggressively. its not sexy, its a grind... think about grinding a stack in a poker tournament or in daily fantasy. biggest mistakes people make in this style of investing is they attempt to 'keep up with indexes' or 'make a set amount every month' or are trading every day no matter what the environment is. you should be really active/aggressive when making money and really patient/in cash when not making money. if you want to attempt to learn this style you should buy how to make money in stocks, by William Oneil. i've made just about every dollar of my net worth in the mkt in actively managing my money. but i do this for a living and have had 18 years of failures to learn from, as much as i love it and i'm thankful to the mkt i realize most people shouldn't do this. but i would never tell someone not to do it, anyone can do it but you have to be insanely focused and disciplined. you can have multiple years of no performance/underperformance then go on huge runs in this style. the key, which sounds crazy, is just NOT to lose money. the making money happens during good periods.

i always explain above to people and then try to figure out what % should be in active and passive based on their personality and goals/risk tolerances. my clients are generally in top .001% so their needs/desires are going to be different than your sons. but i still give the same advice to all of them regardless.

to give you easy, real life, current example of this. last year was very damaging to a lot of peoples portfolios in feb/march. the indexes dropped 40% but underneath there were tons of stocks that acted incredibly well. the indexes eventually rebounded but last year was much better for active management. this year the indexes have held up nicely so far but the individual stocks underneath are a complete blood bath since mid February. its way worse this year then it was last year in 'active' world. so some times its just the nature of the mkt you're in that will predicate which strategy will be successful.

the key for most is to just stay the fuck out of their own way and stick with passive. but if you love this stuff and really want to try then go for a portion of your overall allocation in active. just realize the risk/reward of both and don't flip flop every month/year because you start to get fearful or greedy. understand the overall process you're creating and execute it like a robot

(the above is not investment advice and by no means should be taken as such)
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

DRiccio21 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:55 pm passive investing = dumping a set amount into mutual funds/etf's and then adding a set amount every year/month/week whatever... you use time and risk tolerance as your factors for making decisions. this isn't market timing and is intended to ride out the good times and the nasty times and over time just go on whatever ride the mkt brings you on. this is probably the best bet for 95% of people as it takes the human elements out of it. passive investing isn't going to make you huge dollar amounts quickly but over time should build up a nest egg to meet you future needs if allocated properly and should keep you around whatever the indexes are doing +/- depending on the risk taken when creating the allocation. example of this is probably what most people do in their 401k's.
This is probably the smartest strategy for 95% of the people out there. And even more so for someone just starting out and not knowing all the ins/outs of how to play the market. This is the way I would suggest him to go with at lest 75% of any investment he makes for the first couple of years so he can get the hang of it.

Honestly, it's the best investment advice you could give by stating the difference between active/passive investment. All losses from here on out are on you :D
ImageImageImage
nick
Reactions:

Post by nick »

Dave always dropping knowledge.
TheGobOne
Reactions:

Post by TheGobOne »

DRiccio21 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:55 pm passive investing = dumping a set amount into mutual funds/etf's and then adding a set amount every year/month/week
Honestly, it's the best investment advice you could give by stating the difference between active/passive investment. All losses from here on out are on you :D
Looks like Dave gets to charge you 2 and 20 then. ;)
nick
Reactions:

Post by nick »

Return to “Off Topic Forum”