Sound Equipment

Come one, come all. Talk about anything not league or video game football related here.
cougnix
Reactions:

Sound Equipment

Post by cougnix »

I'm considering a sound bar for our TV. I know nothing about them. Do they replace surround sound speakers? I currently have rear speakers with the surround sound would I keep those or get rid of them? Any recommendations? I'm not looking for the best but not looking for the worst.
ImageImage

PSN: Cougnix
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Re: Sound Equipment

Post by GeorgesGoons »

Sound bars have a virtual rear speaker effect to them. I bet if you have a receiver you could replace your front 3 speakers and go with a sound bar and leave the rear speakers
ImageImageImage
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

popular mechanics says this one is the best buy of 2020:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T5GGR8L?li ... ascsubtag=[artid|10060.g.32172350[src|arb_ga_pop_d_bm_hp_g32172350[ch|56f8d892f2d06e6e2283e154b8d515ea[lt|
ImageImageImage
ajalves
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by ajalves »

read the title thought maybe you were going to start DJing weddings or something
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

ajalves wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:02 pm read the title thought maybe you were going to start DJing weddings or something
All the while someone is playing trombone in the background
ImageImageImage
Weasel
Reactions:

Post by Weasel »

Along these lines, whats the best/easiest way to connect a projector to sound? Bluetooth soundbar?
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

Weasel wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:18 pm Along these lines, whats the best/easiest way to connect a projector to sound? Bluetooth soundbar?
Unless your house is already wired for a projector with wires ran inside the wall to where your receiver would be.....yea, bluetooth
ImageImageImage
cougnix
Reactions:

Post by cougnix »

ajalves wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:02 pm read the title thought maybe you were going to start DJing weddings or something
Fits my personality as you well know!
ImageImage

PSN: Cougnix
The_Niddler
Reactions:

Post by The_Niddler »

Weasel wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:18 pm Along these lines, whats the best/easiest way to connect a projector to sound? Bluetooth soundbar?
It depends on your setup.
What do you have feeding a Video signal into the projector?

My projector is to simply display the picture on the wall.
My cable box or Roku or ChromeCast are the devices plugged into my stereo receiver and they supply the sound to my stereo.
My projector is not hooked to sound. Doesn't need to be. But it depends on your setup.
PSN: The_Niddler
TWITCH: The_Niddler
The_Niddler
Reactions:

Post by The_Niddler »

cougnix wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:38 am I'm considering a sound bar for our TV. I know nothing about them. Do they replace surround sound speakers? I currently have rear speakers with the surround sound would I keep those or get rid of them? Any recommendations? I'm not looking for the best but not looking for the worst.
Most sound bars will NOT work with your existing back speakers.

If you already have surround sound, personally, leave it. Much better than a sound bar.
Sound bars are great for a Rec Room, bedroom, etc, so that it sounds much better than your TV speakers and I am sure if you spent $700 on a good sound bar, it sounds fantastic, but I am a fan of real surround sound and if you have it, why get rid of it for a lesser product?
The_Niddler
Reactions:

Post by The_Niddler »

GeorgesGoons wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:47 pm
Unless your house is already wired for a projector with wires ran inside the wall to where your receiver would be.....yea, bluetooth
Luckily, we have a couch and toy bins so you don't see our wires running along the baseboard.
If you have carpet, you can use a mouse (or whatever they call it) and run cables under your carpet.
It is a magnetic tool that allows you to cut a slit in one end, insert your cables, a magnet attached to the cables and a magnet in your hand feed the wires under the carpet to the other side of the room and then come out another slit on that side.

If you have a basement underneath, you go through the floor on both ends of the room to run your cables that way.

And again, it all depends on how you have your projector setup to if you need it hooked to sound or not.

I have my tv in the front of the room, my stereo in the front of the room and my projector is wall mounted in the back of the room.
I have a Roku and a ChromeCast plugged directly into my stereo.
So my stereo handles the sound for everything and then my stereo has an HDMI out, 2 actually, and I run 1 to my tv and 1 to my projector.
So my projector is simply displaying video, no need to hook up audio.

If you are plugging a Roku or something directly into the projector, then most will have a 3.5mm, audio out jack that you can run to a stereo or sound bar or whatever.
Sound bars may have bluetooth, but most projectors do not.
Weasel
Reactions:

Post by Weasel »

I have a room in the basement where I plan to install a golf simulator/home theater area. So Ill have a computer wired to the projector, as well as a chromecast, both I would presume through HDMI. The issue is figuring out sound output. I thought soundbar would be simple enough, but its sounding more complicated than I intended.
The_Niddler
Reactions:

Post by The_Niddler »

Weasel wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:05 pm I have a room in the basement where I plan to install a golf simulator/home theater area. So Ill have a computer wired to the projector, as well as a chromecast, both I would presume through HDMI. The issue is figuring out sound output. I thought soundbar would be simple enough, but its sounding more complicated than I intended.
So, if you are hooking up a computer a Roku:
The computer will have either a 3.5mm audio out jack or bluetooth to hook to the speakers, if they support bluetooth.

The Roku, you would be plugging directly into the HDMI input on the projector, so for that, you will need a projector with audio output jack or bluetooth.

Do you have a projector picked out yet?

Here is a damn nice 4K one:
https://www.amazon.com/Optoma-Projector ... moreosp-20

It has audio out and optical audio out that you would run to the sound bar or whatever sound system you have if you plug the Roku directly into it.

Here is a decent one at Best Buy:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-pf50ka- ... Id=6228221

And it looks like newer projectors are now coming with wifi and bluetooth.
The_Niddler
Reactions:

Post by The_Niddler »

I am still a fan of a stereo receiver that you plug everything into.
Computer, Roku, etc.
Then 1 HDMI out to the projector and done.

Mine has bluetooth as well and appleplay.

Yamaha RX-V685BL
https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V685-7 ... B07BZZCHGN

Hook up whatever speakers you want to it.

Return to “Off Topic Forum”