COVID-19

Come one, come all. Talk about anything not league or video game football related here.
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Re: COVID-19

Post by Cnasty »

dakshdar wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:47 am
Cnasty wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:22 am
Supermarket trashes $35,000 worth of food after woman intentionally coughs all over it
Makes me think of the George Carlin line I always enjoy.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.”
Kind of like this guy:
https://nypost.com/2020/03/25/man-licke ... irus-cops/
Unreal. I also saw the chicks licking the toilet seats for the "Corona Challenge".

Yay humanity!!
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

As part of the newly passed stimulus package, a family of 4 that qualifies will receive $3400.

A family well above the threshold will receive $0.

As part of the stimulus package your district representative will receive $57,000.

Buried deep on page 781 of the stimulus bill was a provision to allot $25mil to the 435 members of the House of Representatives to cover "salary and expenses."
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

We will pass Italy today, China tomorrow.

We aren't even in the thick of it yet in terms of the "worst".

Fauci slapping Trump in the face saying "We dont make the timeline, the virus does" :lol:

Poor fella is just going to disappear soon.
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

Saw a quote where Fauci attribued the issues in Italy to an influx of Chinese tourists right before their boom started.

For as brutal as the rise in total cases has been for the US, they seem to have done a solid job to this point, along with Germany, in keeping death rates much lower than the other highly infected countries.
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

shel311 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:18 am Saw a quote where Fauci attribued the issues in Italy to an influx of Chinese tourists right before their boom started.
Almost like the influx of people leaving NY heading to FL :lol:
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

Cnasty wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:21 am
shel311 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:18 am Saw a quote where Fauci attribued the issues in Italy to an influx of Chinese tourists right before their boom started.
One of the funny things about living in FL was always how many folks from NYC would tell you how great NYC was...while they lived in FL after moving from NYC. :lol:
jeheinz72
Reactions:

Post by jeheinz72 »

For as brutal as the rise in total cases has been for the US, they seem to have done a solid job to this point, along with Germany, in keeping death rates much lower than the other highly infected countries.
Also due to the fashion industry, a lot of Chinese folks actually live in Italy as cheap labor to make them fancy clothes
GM of the Fresno Grizzlies, 2071 - on
DRWebs
Reactions:

Post by DRWebs »

Cnasty wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:21 am
BENNY go home!
Weasel
Reactions:

Post by Weasel »

From a physician forum I frequent, an ER doc in Washington state:

At the hospital I have to remain calm and act as if I am resilient, so I am coming here to let off some steam. I had begun to feel better with more PPE in house, and now I am getting kicked in the gut again. I just reviewed the regional ventilator report. The worst hospital has predicted one more day of vent availability before running out, the best hospital about a week, and in our system we have roughly 4 days of ventilator supply left based on our current current burn rate. The COVID patients who get intubated have a fairly high mortality rate, likely somewhere in the neighborhood of 50%. And typical duration of mechanical ventilation is in the range of 10-14 days, including those that die.

All hospitals are slated to be mandated to follow a state ventilator rationing model. First, the state declares that we are transitioning to "crisis care", and this absolves the docs of liability. Each hospital has an ethics team separate from the bedside docs that decides who gets a shot at a ventilator, based on 4 categories of priority. The ethics team tells the bedside doc to terminally extubate those that are in the category of lower predicted survival to allow us to give the vent to a patient with a higher predicted survival. The families are not allowed to visit, so they get a call that the ventilator is not going to save their loved one. That vent is then going to someone who has a better chance of survival. I am working to think through what information we give to the families to relieve their distress but also to be honest, still a work in progress.

We are also doing drills to ventilate 2 to 4 patients with one vent. This is uncharted territory for us. The theraflo filters can prevent cross contamination, but the patients must all share one set of settings, so getting the minute ventilation and oxygenation right with one setting for multiple patients is going to be a unique and unprecedented challenge. Maybe we can use some tricks like longer length of tubing to decrease pressure/volume for some patients. And maybe we can do a side bleed in of oxygen to the tubing of the patient who needs that. Clearly it will be an iterative process.

I was praying that we would never get to this place. I needed to put this down in writing. Sometimes writing helps me process what I am struggling to process. I have to get back to work now. Please stay safe and stay well!
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Post by ReignOnU »

Wasted Memory wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:50 am
shel311 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:44 am The previous record for lost jobs in a week in the US was 695k in 1982.

We were projected to lose 1.65 million this week.

We actually lost 3.28 million jobs last week.

Are these numbers actual lost jobs or does it include people who have jobs but are not currently working?

Either way it's a staggering number but some of them, fortunately, will be able to go back to work once the self quarantine is lifted, or lightened.
I don't know much about unemployment law/processes, but I'm aware of a few individuals that are going 1 week on, 1 week off with their employer. No idea how stuff like that factors in.
PSN: ReignOnU
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Post by ReignOnU »

shel311 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:50 am When I told my wife I had Chick Fil A while on lunch at work last week, she was like, "NOOOOO, you shouldn't be eating at restaurants"

Meanwhile, all the food in the house we eat comes from grocery stores...with people doing shit like this. But yea, they're much safer!!
I trust the workers at Chick-fil-a far more than most of any other source of food right now, lol.
DRWebs
Reactions:

Post by DRWebs »

shel311 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:50 am When I told my wife I had Chick Fil A while on lunch at work last week, she was like, "NOOOOO, you shouldn't be eating at restaurants"

Meanwhile, all the food in the house we eat comes from grocery stores...with people doing shit like this. But yea, they're much safer!!
A man needs his Spicy Deluxe!
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

ReignOnU wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:00 pmI trust the workers at Chick-fil-a far more than most of any other source of food right now, lol.
Seriously, not even close. Couldn't agree more.
DRWebs wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:00 pm A man needs his Spicy Deluxe!
You ain't lying!

Now you guys got me wanting to get out the house for lunch today.
Wasted Memory
Reactions:

Post by Wasted Memory »

shel311 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:04 pm
ReignOnU wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:00 pmI trust the workers at Chick-fil-a far more than most of any other source of food right now, lol.
You ain't lying!

Que up George telling us how Chic-Fil-A is good but over rated.
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

Door Dash has been fantastic during this time.

Savior
DRWebs
Reactions:

Post by DRWebs »

Weasel wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:52 am From a physician forum I frequent, an ER doc in Washington state:

At the hospital I have to remain calm and act as if I am resilient, so I am coming here to let off some steam. I had begun to feel better with more PPE in house, and now I am getting kicked in the gut again. I just reviewed the regional ventilator report. The worst hospital has predicted one more day of vent availability before running out, the best hospital about a week, and in our system we have roughly 4 days of ventilator supply left based on our current current burn rate. The COVID patients who get intubated have a fairly high mortality rate, likely somewhere in the neighborhood of 50%. And typical duration of mechanical ventilation is in the range of 10-14 days, including those that die.

All hospitals are slated to be mandated to follow a state ventilator rationing model. First, the state declares that we are transitioning to "crisis care", and this absolves the docs of liability. Each hospital has an ethics team separate from the bedside docs that decides who gets a shot at a ventilator, based on 4 categories of priority. The ethics team tells the bedside doc to terminally extubate those that are in the category of lower predicted survival to allow us to give the vent to a patient with a higher predicted survival. The families are not allowed to visit, so they get a call that the ventilator is not going to save their loved one. That vent is then going to someone who has a better chance of survival. I am working to think through what information we give to the families to relieve their distress but also to be honest, still a work in progress.

We are also doing drills to ventilate 2 to 4 patients with one vent. This is uncharted territory for us. The theraflo filters can prevent cross contamination, but the patients must all share one set of settings, so getting the minute ventilation and oxygenation right with one setting for multiple patients is going to be a unique and unprecedented challenge. Maybe we can use some tricks like longer length of tubing to decrease pressure/volume for some patients. And maybe we can do a side bleed in of oxygen to the tubing of the patient who needs that. Clearly it will be an iterative process.

I was praying that we would never get to this place. I needed to put this down in writing. Sometimes writing helps me process what I am struggling to process. I have to get back to work now. Please stay safe and stay well!
Let that sink in... I can't imagine being a nurse right now either
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Post by ReignOnU »

Wasted Memory wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:06 pm
shel311 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:04 pm
You ain't lying!

Que up George telling us how Chic-Fil-A is good but over rated.
:lol:
Wasted Memory
Reactions:

Post by Wasted Memory »

Can't paste the image, but I'll put the link on here. https://imgur.com/gallery/6Uqe5rj

It's a letter from someone's company that's telling them that since the government is going to be paying people with this passed stimulus bill that they are going to deduct whatever the government pays them from their next paycheck after receiving the stimulus money.

Can that be legal? Surely not.
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

I mean they can do anything they want if its a private company that does not have specific governmental regulations is my guess.
Wasted Memory
Reactions:

Post by Wasted Memory »

Cnasty wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:17 pm I mean they can do anything they want if its a private company that does not have specific governmental regulations is my guess.
Seems like they maybe should have found a better way to state what they were doing. Not sure what, maybe along the lines of "rather than reducing everyone's pay by XX% during this time of crisis..."

Return to “Off Topic Forum”