COVID-19

Come one, come all. Talk about anything not league or video game football related here.
jsence2
Reactions:

Re: COVID-19

Post by jsence2 »

GeorgesGoons wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 11:11 am
jsence2 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:29 am
GeorgesGoons wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 1:47 pm Extremely short staffed here in Omaha. The Bar and Grill I go to was looking for 2 cooks for 3 months, they finally hired one last week.

Wife's friend said where she works has been looking for servers since January and nobody is applying.

Son works at Jimmy John's and they need drivers, but nobody is applying there either. He got a .50 cent raise because he has to work more. So he makes over $20/hr with tips delivering subs.

Until we don't give incentives to sit at home I don't see this trend going away.
It's not about "sitting at home"; it is about workers 1) not wanting to risk their safety when people don't want to wear masks around them,
You have more faith in people thinking they'd rather work than get free money sitting at home. I highly doubt that covid is the reason any longer. People are inherently lazy, so why work for your money if you get it for free.
I live in an area where tourism is huge, I know quite a few folks in the restaurant business (my best friend owns a BBQ place and sells his sauce across the region) whose employees have never thought about leaving because of how well they've been taken care of, and I know quite a few folks who work in the food service industry that have flat out said they won't go back until they feel safe and get paid what they should as a front-line worker.

It's not about being "lazy", they realize that they make more on unemployment with zero risk than they would working for Subway or Chipotle with a lot more risk. You know what you don't have "sitting at home"? An irate customer mad because he read on Facebook that COVID is fake, so why should he have to wear a mask in the lobby while he waits for a table?

These folks deserve to be paid a living wage. They've realized that they have power, for once, in the bargaining stage and good on them for using it. Like I said, almost all of the businesses that I'm seeing struggle for workers are chain places, franchises, etc. Smaller places usually take better care of their workers, and they're thriving right now.

S14: N Texas 7-1
S15: Wake 8-5
S16-21: Washington 9-4, 10-3, 8-5, 9-4, 7-6, 6-7
S22: Ohio 8-5
S23: ECU 12-2
S24-26: Kentucky 8-5, 5-7, 5-7
Career: 102-61
jsence2
Reactions:

Post by jsence2 »

shel311 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:28 pm
jsence2 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:29 am It's not about "sitting at home"; it is about workers 1) not wanting to risk their safety when people don't want to wear masks around them, 2) many of them having family members they need to protect, and 3) workers finally realizing that they deserve to be paid more (which they do) and get health insurance (which they do).
Here you guys are arguing about which is it not realizing it can be both. :lol:

jsence2 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:29 am workers finally realizing that they deserve to be paid more (which they do)
Based on what? You deserve whatever the market bears out for that job. You don't get to deserve more "just cause"

This idea that because you work 40 hours per week at McDonald's then you should be able to make a living wage living in an average apartment/house is silly.
People deserve to make a living wage. You realize that the same McDonald's in Europe pays their employees a significant amount more, plus they get full health insurance? Why do you think that someone working a job that is "entry level" should be forced to live in poverty? Do you realize how messed up of a mindset that it, how warped our brains have become from capitalism?

I want you to think about what you just wrote. Like, really think about it. You just said that it is silly to think someone working 40 hours a week at McDonald's shouldn't be able to make enough to live in an average apartment. Which means unless they work a second job or have serious help or a roommate...they're what, homeless? Living in a shack or a roach motel? Why, because they work at a lowly restaurant job?

I mean...I'm not saying that they should make $20 an hour, but try to live on their salary for a week and you'll quickly change your mind.

And btw, EVERYONE'S salaries should be going up. They should be making $15 an hour, and you, me, everyone in here who works for a business should be making more money. Our salaries over the past thirty years have barely gone up when you account for inflation, yet the cost of everything else has, and the salaries for CEOs, fat-cats, etc have gone up astronomically.

Until the working class stops fighting other working class people about why they shouldn't get paid more, and realize that we're all being pitted against each other by those in power so they can stay in power, not a damn thing will change in this country.

S14: N Texas 7-1
S15: Wake 8-5
S16-21: Washington 9-4, 10-3, 8-5, 9-4, 7-6, 6-7
S22: Ohio 8-5
S23: ECU 12-2
S24-26: Kentucky 8-5, 5-7, 5-7
Career: 102-61
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

If you are in your late 20's or older and still working fast food you failed yourself and I don't have sympathy. Yes, I am that asshole. There are plenty of avenues for people to learn a trade thru their local labor department, or start an entry level position and work up from there in a job not designed for teenagers.

And how the hell does the "experts" miss their new job increase by 750,000. They expected 1,000,000 new jobs in April. I would say this is a direct correlation to the enhanced federal unemployment benefits.
ImageImageImage
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

jsence2 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 2:18 pm
shel311 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:28 pm
jsence2 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:29 am It's not about "sitting at home"; it is about workers 1) not wanting to risk their safety when people don't want to wear masks around them, 2) many of them having family members they need to protect, and 3) workers finally realizing that they deserve to be paid more (which they do) and get health insurance (which they do).
Here you guys are arguing about which is it not realizing it can be both. :lol:

jsence2 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:29 am workers finally realizing that they deserve to be paid more (which they do)
Based on what? You deserve whatever the market bears out for that job. You don't get to deserve more "just cause"

This idea that because you work 40 hours per week at McDonald's then you should be able to make a living wage living in an average apartment/house is silly.
People deserve to make a living wage. You realize that the same McDonald's in Europe pays their employees a significant amount more, plus they get full health insurance? Why do you think that someone working a job that is "entry level" should be forced to live in poverty? Do you realize how messed up of a mindset that it, how warped our brains have become from capitalism?

I want you to think about what you just wrote. Like, really think about it. You just said that it is silly to think someone working 40 hours a week at McDonald's shouldn't be able to make enough to live in an average apartment. Which means unless they work a second job or have serious help or a roommate...they're what, homeless? Living in a shack or a roach motel? Why, because they work at a lowly restaurant job?

I mean...I'm not saying that they should make $20 an hour, but try to live on their salary for a week and you'll quickly change your mind.

And btw, EVERYONE'S salaries should be going up. They should be making $15 an hour, and you, me, everyone in here who works for a business should be making more money. Our salaries over the past thirty years have barely gone up when you account for inflation, yet the cost of everything else has, and the salaries for CEOs, fat-cats, etc have gone up astronomically.

Until the working class stops fighting other working class people about why they shouldn't get paid more, and realize that we're all being pitted against each other by those in power so they can stay in power, not a damn thing will change in this country.
Who the hell cares about what's going on in other countries. Have you factored in their taxation as well? Their cost of living?
ImageImageImage
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

I love the whole "deserve" crap. Nobody deserves anything, you earn what you get. This "deserve" nonsense probably comes from all the "everyone's a winner and gets a trophy" as a child.

Deserve.....hahahahaha
ImageImageImage
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

jsence2 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 2:18 pm People deserve to make a living wage.
Agreed. But a living wage doesn't mean you get to afford a $1k phone and $100 a month phone bill and average housing. You know who gets to live in average housing? People who make an average salary. What you're arguing for is not based on reality, it simply isn't. if you're literally making the least amount of money as any full time employer in the entire country, why would you then get to afford housing that is above your salary? It's a fact of life, people will be poor or on the low end of earnings. Those people will live in below average housing situations. It's just as logical as it gets. You make below average earnings, you live in below average conditions. You make an average amount of money, you live in average conditions.

Also, you give millions of people now 2-3x more than what they're making. Think about supply/demand...what do you think that is going to do for average housing? How are they then going to afford it if demand goes through the roof and now those apartments are doubling their rent since they have a mile long waiting list of people wanting to live there?
jsence2 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 2:18 pm I want you to think about what you just wrote. Like, really think about it. You just said that it is silly to think someone working 40 hours a week at McDonald's shouldn't be able to make enough to live in an average apartment. Which means unless they work a second job or have serious help or a roommate...they're what, homeless? Living in a shack or a roach motel? Why, because they work at a lowly restaurant job?
Yes, correct. That is only the most logical thing in the world that I said. You don't make a lot of money, you don't get average housing. Simple logic.

And yes, you get a roommate, you get a 2nd job, you work you ass off and become a manager, then a regional manager and make more money. You work your ass off to put yourself through college online or some trade school. Working 40 hours a week at McDonalds is not a career where you should expect anything but living below the standards of the average earning person.
jsence2 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 2:18 pm I mean...I'm not saying that they should make $20 an hour, but try to live on their salary for a week and you'll quickly change your mind.
I did that already, while going to college to work towards doing something more than making minimum wage so I could afford average housing by having average incomes.
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

Crowes wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:23 pm
Wasted Memory wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:15 pm Despite George, me, or surprisingly jsence even mentioning anything political you had to get that quick jab in there didn't you.
Nothing political riiiiiiigggghhhttt. :lol:

Your discussing how a government stimulus program which is inherently political is hurting businesses supposedly but your not trying bring up politics.
I'd say it's hurting businesses. The National Federal of Independent Business, the largest small business association in the U.S., also says the same thing

NFIB Jobs Report: Small Business Job Openings Reach Record High for Third Straight Month
https://www.nfib.com/content/press-rele ... ght-month/
ImageImageImage
The_Niddler
Reactions:

Post by The_Niddler »

All this going back and forth...jsence, sorry, but if you are working as a cook at McDonald's, that position was never meant for someone to "make a living" off of it. That position is for high school kids, college kids or retirees that need extra income.
If you work at McDonald's and want a career, you move into Management.

Someone microwaving a burger, does not deserve $15 per hour, sorry.

Now, if you are a chef in a regular restaurant, by all means, you deserve more as that takes skill, it requires schooling, it requires knowledge, etc.

If you are a greeter at a restaurant, sorry, you do not deserve $15 per hour to ask people how many are in your party and then seat them and hand them silverware.

I do agree with waiters and waitresses making an hourly wage that is higher than $3 per hour or whatever it is and then living off tips.
However, like you, I also know a lot of people in the food industry and many of them make such good money on tips, they never want that to go away and go to making $15-$20 per hour, cause they make more than that with tips and some nights bring in some damn good money.

To me, it is about skill. What type of skill does the position that you work require to do a good job at it?
Again, a greeter, not hard, smile, sit someone, hand them silverware and be on your way.
Waiter and Waitress, far more skill to be good at it and get things right and care about the customer.
Kitchen staff, deserve a lot as they are the main reason people come back to your restaurant or not.
PSN: The_Niddler
TWITCH: The_Niddler
Crowes
Reactions:

Post by Crowes »

If an employer needs a human being to provide labor on a full time bases that labor should earn a living wage regardless of what myself or anyone thinks the skill involved in the job is end of discussion IMO. A rising tide lifts all ships 👍
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

Crowes wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 9:20 pm end of discussion
Nope!

Not all jobs are created equal. Current poverty level for a family of 3 is 22k. If you didn't set yourself up to make $10.50 an hour I don't feel sorry for you. My college son makes more than that in wages alone, not including any tips
ImageImageImage
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Post by ReignOnU »

Average apartment is a pretty relative standard based on region. Where we live, $550 a month gets you an average single bedroom. Which, to be fair, we're talking the lowest of low level jobs here and justifying that it should somehow get you "average" apartment standards. But we'll go on...

The bottom quartile of full-time McDonald's employees make about $20,000. That's give/take $10. McDonald's offers benefits after 90 days. Due to federal changes about 4-5 years ago, all employees under $48k annually quality for OT at McDonald's. At $20k per year, you're going to run around 20%-25% for taxes & benefits, not including 401K contributions. We'll go high-end and says it's a net take home $15k annually or $1,250 per month. Rent, is $550. That leaves $700 to live on per month.
Core Utilities: $150
Phone: $50
Internet: $50
Food: $300 (keep in mind, I believe FT McDonald's employees get unlimited meals, so could be much less)
Left Over: $150 - This will cover public transportation and "extras."

That's a fully functional life for a single person, with the shit level job, and going 'worst case' scenario on most stuff.

Maybe we need to worry less about how much these people are making and worry more about teaching them about finance and how to improve their lives. You want car and insurance? Improve yourself. Netflix and Youtube TV? Work hard and move up. McDonald's Asst Manager's make ~$38k per year.

So tired of hearing this stupid argument about "living wages," from people that are absolutely clueless.

Maybe we need to worry less about handing out money and worry more about teaching people how to manage it and improve their lives.
PSN: ReignOnU
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Post by ReignOnU »

GeorgesGoons wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 2:32 pm If you are in your late 20's or older and still working fast food you failed yourself and I don't have sympathy. Yes, I am that asshole. There are plenty of avenues for people to learn a trade thru their local labor department, or start an entry level position and work up from there in a job not designed for teenagers.

And how the hell does the "experts" miss their new job increase by 750,000. They expected 1,000,000 new jobs in April. I would say this is a direct correlation to the enhanced federal unemployment benefits.
Complete list of things the world owes you:
1.)
2.)
3.)
4.)
5.)
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Post by ReignOnU »

Goodness... the amount of economic ignorance in this thread is crazy. A lot of people that have AOC in their head 24/7.
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Post by ReignOnU »

Back to COVID... had J&J Monday, mild headache, lasted about 2-3hrs. Otherwise, no issue. Had COVID in Dec, so that could help.

My wife got her 1st dose of one of the others yesterday, had fever and chills last night. Woke up this morning and said she had the worst arm pain she's ever experienced. She also had COVID in early Dec.
Crowes
Reactions:

Post by Crowes »

GeorgesGoons wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 9:54 pm
Nope!

Not all jobs are created equal. Current poverty level for a family of 3 is 22k. If you didn't set yourself up to make $10.50 an hour I don't feel sorry for you. My college son makes more than that in wages alone, not including any tips
I don't think anyone has said all jobs are created equal.
Crowes
Reactions:

Post by Crowes »

ReignOnU wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:57 pm

Average apartment is a pretty relative standard based on region. Where we live, $550 a month gets you an average single bedroom. Which, to be fair, we're talking the lowest of low level jobs here and justifying that it should somehow get you "average" apartment standards. But we'll go on...

The bottom quartile of full-time McDonald's employees make about $20,000. That's give/take $10. McDonald's offers benefits after 90 days. Due to federal changes about 4-5 years ago, all employees under $48k annually quality for OT at McDonald's. At $20k per year, you're going to run around 20%-25% for taxes & benefits, not including 401K contributions. We'll go high-end and says it's a net take home $15k annually or $1,250 per month. Rent, is $550. That leaves $700 to live on per month.
Core Utilities: $150
Phone: $50
Internet: $50
Food: $300 (keep in mind, I believe FT McDonald's employees get unlimited meals, so could be much less)
Left Over: $150 - This will cover public transportation and "extras."

That's a fully functional life for a single person, with the shit level job, and going 'worst case' scenario on most stuff.

Maybe we need to worry less about how much these people are making and worry more about teaching them about finance and how to improve their lives. You want car and insurance? Improve yourself. Netflix and Youtube TV? Work hard and move up. McDonald's Asst Manager's make ~$38k per year.

So tired of hearing this stupid argument about "living wages," from people that are absolutely clueless.

Maybe we need to worry less about handing out money and worry more about teaching people how to manage it and improve their lives.
What a hot steaming pile of garbage you just spewed :lol:

If only reality fit into reigns pretty box of logic there'd be no need for anything. :lol:
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

Crowes wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 7:25 am
Nope!

But a whopper flopper needs to be paid enough to afford an average apartment/home? That is what you said, they should all earn a living wage....GTFOH with that bullshit. If you are 30 years old and are still working a HS level job I hope life keeps pissing on you and your dreams.
ImageImageImage
Crowes
Reactions:

Post by Crowes »

GeorgesGoons wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:27 am
Nope!

But a whopper flopper needs to be paid enough to afford an average apartment/home? That is what you said, they should all earn a living wage....GTFOH with that bullshit. If you are 30 years old and are still working a HS level job I hope life keeps pissing on you and your dreams.
This is a prime example of why y'all are losing. Heaven forbid someone have different life experiences then ole georgie from Nebraska... :lol:
nick
Reactions:

Post by nick »

damn send 1 bedroom for 550
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

Crowes wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:40 am
GeorgesGoons wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:27 am
Nope!

This is a prime example of why y'all are losing. Heaven forbid someone have different life experiences then ole georgie from Nebraska... :lol:
Who's losing? I'm not! And I never said anything about my life experiences from good ole Nebraska. I've lived all over the US and seen the world. I know how well we have it here, I've experienced it first hand. So when someone calls a political leader anything close to a dictator I laugh at their ignorance.

As far as someone working fast food in their 30's as a main job and not in management, why do you think that is? I say it's purely laziness and any lack of wanting to be anything else that that
ImageImageImage

Return to “Off Topic Forum”