COVID-19

Come one, come all. Talk about anything not league or video game football related here.
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Re: COVID-19

Post by ReignOnU »

https://www.yahoo.com/news/dr-fauci-why ... 21980.html

This is the kind of bullshit answer that you give someone when you have to be politically correct 24/7. If you say that truth, you're a racist, an elitist, a bigot, or whatever other name you can come up with. I have a few favorite phrases that I repeat at work when I'm dealing with people, "you can't keep lying to yourself," and "if you want me to lie to you and make the numbers look good, I can do it, but we both know it's a lie." This article is running down that road.

He's says there are 2 reasons why it impacts the black community more... 1.) They are in a situation where they are less likely to work from home and 2.) They historically have more serious health issues. The first one is a bullshit answer that masks the underlying economic disparity. Just say it's the economic disparity. % of population at lower incomes. Stop dancing around. The second is a half-truth. Yeah, it's true... why is it true? He goes to suggest that we need to study why there's more diabetes, why there's more heart disease. Then suggests it's that the black population doesn't have 'access' to the food. You don't need to study this shit. Guess what? Look at the truthful answer to #1. Go on, keep sugarcoating shit... we're never going to fix any of the issues as long as we can't be honest about stuff.
PSN: ReignOnU
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Post by ReignOnU »

GeorgesGoons wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:26 pm
ReignOnU wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:11 pm
GeorgesGoons wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:54 pm I don't think it's the miracle cure but if you are in a position of, "what can it hurt" if you already were given a death sentence. I think the law that Trump passed (executive order I believe) where doctor/patients can use alternative methods to treat terminal illness was the best law he could have signed into law
Sounds like the foundation of most libertarian arguments. Do whatever you want, as long as it doesn't F w/anyone else.
I'm all over the political spectrum depending on the topic. I favor republican more than anything else though. For instance the don't ask don't tell policy in the army, could have cared less about who was doing what in the sheets, that was a very liberal viewpoint on the 90's.
Very liberal in the 90s is about as left as a moderate now. I cleared out an old HDD and transferred some files from it last night and along the way, I found a few political compass results that I had taken about 4-5 months ago. I'll have to dig those up and post them. Barely right of center. But a few folks around here would have you think I was Gavin McInnes.
nick
Reactions:

Post by nick »

EXCLUSIVE: The first dog positive for SARS-CoV-2 in the U.S. was a German shepherd named Buddy. He has died.

im sure George will come in and say he had pre existing conditions
nick
Reactions:

Post by nick »

Herman Cain goes to Tulsa rally where he gets Covid and dies
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

nick wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:40 pm EXCLUSIVE: The first dog positive for SARS-CoV-2 in the U.S. was a German shepherd named Buddy. He has died.

im sure George will come in and say he had pre existing conditions
Such an exclusive!

Reminds me of the Omaha paper running with a headline, youngest Omaha person does of COVID. Go down 4 paragraphs and he was in his mid to late twenties with a host of pre-existing conditions.

I know 4 people that have cought it in the last month, only bad thing that has happened to any of them is one guy still can't smell. The other three didn't have any symptoms.

Not smelling would have been a blessing in the field when I was in the Army.
ImageImageImage
nick
Reactions:

Post by nick »

i have mixed thoughts. the reality is maybe covid "isnt as deadly" as we thought.. but.. its the fact it's an assassin illness that can creep into the old population and you dont even know it that makes it scary. If the regular flu we get in the winter was this silent to pass on we'd be fucked every year for nursing homes and old people with that, but its the fact that your most contagious is when youre bed ridden and theres about a 0.0000001% chance you're gonna willingly get in contact with an older person that keeps it at bay and less in deaths.

so with that iunno.. the fact we dont even know we have it might make it soft as baby shit to us.. but so is the regular flu. but you wouldnt go to your parents and give em a kiss with the flu but with covid why wouldnt u if you felt normal?

if it wasnt so easy to hide at the start this wouldnt even be an issue. shows you how truly vulnerable humans are though that we need to be spoon fed (through evolution) all these tell tale signs to stay away from sick ppl/animals if we want to survive. something just has to hide for a bit to put us on edge.

/fin
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Post by ReignOnU »

nick wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:03 pm i have mixed thoughts. the reality is maybe covid "isnt as deadly" as we thought.. but.. its the fact it's an assassin illness that can creep into the old population and you dont even know it that makes it scary. If the regular flu we get in the winter was this silent to pass on we'd be fucked every year for nursing homes and old people with that, but its the fact that your most contagious is when youre bed ridden and theres about a 0.0000001% chance you're gonna willingly get in contact with an older person that keeps it at bay and less in deaths.

so with that iunno.. the fact we dont even know we have it might make it soft as baby shit to us.. but so is the regular flu. but you wouldnt go to your parents and give em a kiss with the flu but with covid why wouldnt u if you felt normal?

if it wasnt so easy to hide at the start this wouldnt even be an issue. shows you how truly vulnerable humans are though that we need to be spoon fed (through evolution) all these tell tale signs to stay away from sick ppl/animals if we want to survive. something just has to hide for a bit to put us on edge.

/fin
Seems like a reasonable train of thought.

One thing that's bothered me a bit and it really stood out when I was going through statistics this afternoon... we've grossly mishandled the reporting for COVID. I went through a lot of information, including deaths from Heart Disease, Strokes, Flu, Pneumonia, etc. The historical tracking of flu deaths is sketchy. Many states here actually do estimates. So none of the information is great. But we've been directly told that people who have "died WITH COVID, have been counted as COVID deaths." So the thought crossing my mind is, "how many deaths would have come from the flu, had we counted people that died WITH the flu?" It's not to say that they are the same, but I have to imagine that having the flu and having other serious health complications, will trigger problems and end in death.

I doubt I'll ever be able to find this post in 2021, but I'd love to circle back and look at the breakdown of deaths by cause. Are we double counting? Are we going to see a drastic decline in deaths from other causes, because we've counted them as COVID?
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

I believe Shel posted a while back how strokes, heart attack, etc deaths were down.
ImageImageImage
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

GeorgesGoons wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:27 pm I believe Shel posted a while back how strokes, heart attack, etc deaths were down.
I think I followed up, but that turned out to be out of context.

The data was correct factually, but what was unknown at the time is that the data lags by a few weeks so it trails and catches up down the road which wasn't accounted for.
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Post by ReignOnU »

shel311 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:33 pm
GeorgesGoons wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:27 pm I believe Shel posted a while back how strokes, heart attack, etc deaths were down.
I think I followed up, but that turned out to be out of context.

The data was correct factually, but what was unknown at the time is that the data lags by a few weeks so it trails and catches up down the road which wasn't accounted for.
I know that's true of our flu counts. Someone posted a cool graphic on how they changed weeks after the data was first entered.
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

cougnix wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:37 pm What demographic went into full quarantine?

Ages 5-18 and 18-22 (college)

What demographic has the least probable chance of deaths?
Same demographic. Hmmmm

I guess the answer is send them back, see what happens.

I want to go back to school, I want to start sports, but I also don't want to be part of litigation that is related to unsafe environments. What do we do about our high risk teachers? Our teacher that is a cancer survivor? There isn't a good answer right now until they truly have this under control.

highly enlightening article regarding school kids and whether to reopen or not

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/artic ... 43847.html
The reason many schools won’t open, just like why so many places originally locked down, comes back to fear and politics. The Los Angeles’ teachers union, for example, recently came out with a list of demands before returning to teach in person. These included defunding the police, ending charter schools, “Medicare for All,” and a new wealth tax. It was not until the union came out with these demands that Newsom announced closure of nearly all schools in California -- overriding individual school districts that had planned to open.
ImageImageImage
nick
Reactions:

Post by nick »

so apparently that fauci quote was fake news..
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

nick wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:53 am so apparently that fauci quote was fake news..
Context?
ImageImageImage
cougnix
Reactions:

Post by cougnix »

GeorgesGoons wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:19 pm
cougnix wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:37 pm What demographic went into full quarantine?

Same demographic. Hmmmm

I want to go back to school, I want to start sports, but I also don't want to be part of litigation that is related to unsafe environments. What do we do about our high risk teachers? Our teacher that is a cancer survivor? There isn't a good answer right now until they truly have this under control.

The reason many schools won’t open, just like why so many places originally locked down, comes back to fear and politics. The Los Angeles’ teachers union, for example, recently came out with a list of demands before returning to teach in person. These included defunding the police, ending charter schools, “Medicare for All,” and a new wealth tax. It was not until the union came out with these demands that Newsom announced closure of nearly all schools in California -- overriding individual school districts that had planned to open.
I reiterate the fact that statistics and research on 5-18 year olds is done while that group has not been in their normal day-to-day interactions with each other. When they are in school they have thousands of interactions with hundreds of kids depending on the size of the school. If COVID was spreading in the US earlier than what they think, then maybe it would be more accurate, but kids in school have been quarantined. My worry is that we go back to school and it spreads and we really do have a major epidemic in schools. Hell, you can't even keep pro baseball players from getting it. Our other point of concern is we really don't know the lasting effects, if you can contract it multiple times and how many mutations are out there. Teachers will be afraid to return with the unknowns still out there. I hope we get to phase back in before the end of this year, but we will see what happens with the states that have already started bringing kids back to school. Biffy will be able to keep us updated on how it goes.
ImageImage

PSN: Cougnix
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

cougnix wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:29 pm
GeorgesGoons wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:19 pm

Same demographic. Hmmmm

I reiterate the fact that statistics and research on 5-18 year olds is done while that group has not been in their normal day-to-day interactions with each other. When they are in school they have thousands of interactions with hundreds of kids depending on the size of the school. If COVID was spreading in the US earlier than what they think, then maybe it would be more accurate, but kids in school have been quarantined. My worry is that we go back to school and it spreads and we really do have a major epidemic in schools. Hell, you can't even keep pro baseball players from getting it. Our other point of concern is we really don't know the lasting effects, if you can contract it multiple times and how many mutations are out there. Teachers will be afraid to return with the unknowns still out there. I hope we get to phase back in before the end of this year, but we will see what happens with the states that have already started bringing kids back to school. Biffy will be able to keep us updated on how it goes.
there were statistics from the EU in that article as well I believe, if I remember correctly
ImageImageImage
nick
Reactions:

Post by nick »

The New York Times
@nytimes
·
3h
One of the first school districts in the U.S. to reopen its doors during the pandemic did not even make it a day before a call came from the county health department — a student who had walked the halls and sat in various classrooms had tested positive
BFiVL
Reactions:

Post by BFiVL »

Our first full day is Monday. Our plan is parent choice. Send em to school or virtual learning. We have a 15 day window to start year to change between the two so no idea of the numbers of virtual learners yet. If I had a guess 15% maybe 20 max. Sports given the go ahead. I personally don’t think we make it till sept but we will see. Our town is now just starting to be mask heavy and other precautions. Fingers crossed.
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

We are the only north Texas ISD that still has an in person option at this time but have zero faith of that holding up.

We have a brand new elementary school in our neighborhood and capacity was already going to be less then 40% so we will see.
nick
Reactions:

Post by nick »

An Indiana offensive lineman whose last tweet is that he wouldn’t live in fear of Covid-19 and his mother who now prays he doesn’t have permanent heart damage...

GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

I know some people like stats so here you go.

https://www.kff.org/coronavirus-covid-1 ... e=hs_email
ImageImageImage

Return to “Off Topic Forum”